Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM & SWMline general discussion

• Please log in to reply
1301 replies to this topic

#1221 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

They must have MRV, to see your recordings.
One of you needs to have a bandstop filter installed where the coax comes into the condo. This will block MRV between units.
Sharing a SWiM may cause problems as if one user adds more receivers, it can cause the other to not be able to use theirs.

Does sharing a SWiM cause confusion among customer service representatives fielding calls from customers? For example, if I contacted Directv because of a reception problem, could the CSR "see" my neighbors' receivers and accuse me of having undocumented receivers connected to my dish/on my account?

Also, what if the neighbor's installer supplied him with his own power inserter; is it okay to have two power inserters supplying power to one dish?

Edited by cbhpi, 07 August 2012 - 05:47 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1222 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

Does sharing a SWiM cause confusion among customer service representatives fielding calls from customers? For example, if I contacted Directv because of a reception problem, could the CSR "see" my neighbors' receivers and accuse me of having undocumented receivers connected to my dish/on my account?

The CSRs have no ability to see what you have physically connected to your system. There are however a lot of pitfalls when it comes to sharing a SWiM ODU with another customer. Who has the power inserter? What happens if there's an issue that creates a chargeable service call, who pays for it? etc etc etc.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#1223 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

The CSRs have no ability to see what you have physically connected to your system. There are however a lot of pitfalls when it comes to sharing a SWiM ODU with another customer. Who has the power inserter? What happens if there's an issue that creates a chargeable service call, who pays for it? etc etc etc.

i must have saved my edit as you were posting a response to my first question. (Thanks for your response.) So, is there a problem with having two power inserters connected to one dish? If so, I've got to rap on my neighbor's door and do a little more investigation.

#1224 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

... Also, what if the neighbor's installer supplied him with his own power inserter; is it okay to have two power inserters supplying power to one dish?

The correct SWiM splitter(s) used on the LNB lead in from the dish are designed as single port power passing, so the voltage from a second wrongly applied PI will be blocked from the LNB as a safety against this happening.

#1225 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

i must have saved my edit as you were posting a response to my first question. (Thanks for your response.) So, is there a problem with having two power inserters connected to one dish? If so, I've got to rap on my neighbor's door and do a little more investigation.

Posted Image

Yes there is. If you look closely at a SWiM splitter (this one is a 2way, but this applies to all SWiM splitters) it has only one power passing port to route voltage from the power inserter to the LNB. It does no good to have two power inserters, as only one of them is able to power the SWiM ODU. It's much better in the long run to have your own dish.

#1226 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

The correct SWiM splitter(s) used on the LNB lead in from the dish are designed as single port power passing, so the voltage from a second wrongly applied PI will be blocked from the LNB as a safety against this happening.

Therefore, if we both have PIs connected at the same time, there's no worry of overheating, premature lnb failure, fire, or the like? By the same token, if my PI inadvertently gets disconnected, his receivers will still work and vice versa?

#1227 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

Therefore, if we both have PIs connected at the same time, there's no worry of overheating, premature lnb failure, fire, or the like? By the same token, if my PI inadvertently gets disconnected, his receivers will still work and vice versa?

No, because only one of them is actually powering the LNB. Only one leg of the splitter provides the power, the other PI won't do the job because it's connected to the wrong port.

#1228 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:49 PM

No, because only one of them is actually powering the LNB. Only one leg of the splitter provides the power, the other PI won't do the job because it's connected to the wrong port.

Gotcha. So, sometime soon, I need to determine what the neighbor's installer did. He might have reconnected things to make me dependent on my neighbor, instead of him on me, a scenario that won't fly. Again, thanks for your help and input.

#1229 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

I was wrong about not being able to see my neighbor's recordings. On my H24, I can see every show they've recorded, and I even recorded a program to their dvr. First, a summary of equipment and the problem. As of yesterday, my neighbors and I share a sl3 swm dish (I know, I know, not a good idea, but there are line of sight issues and it's probably better to share at this point), and I have an HR-20 and an H-24 without deca or internet. The neighbors have a dvr and a non-dvr with deca. Now, let's see if I have this right. I need to install 2 band-stop filters between the 4-way splitter and the two cables going to my unit. The pigtail end of the filters needs to connect to the cables running to my unit; the other end to the 4-way splitter. If this is correct, and it's installed correctly, will I be able to add deca at a later date to my unit and have it work, assuming that I take precautions to install another filter on the HR-20?

#1230 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

I was wrong about not being able to see my neighbor's recordings. On my H24, I can see every show they've recorded, and I even recorded a program to their dvr. First, a summary of equipment and the problem. As of yesterday, my neighbors and I share a sl3 swm dish (I know, I know, not a good idea, but there are line of sight issues and it's probably better to share at this point), and I have an HR-20 and an H-24 without deca or internet. The neighbors have a dvr and a non-dvr with deca. Now, let's see if I have this right. I need to install 2 band-stop filters between the 4-way splitter and the two cables going to my unit. The pigtail end of the filters needs to connect to the cables running to my unit; the other end to the 4-way splitter. If this is correct, and it's installed correctly, will I be able to add deca at a later date to my unit and have it work, assuming that I take precautions to install another filter on the HR-20?

What you'll need to have your own independent DECA network is to have your own splitter, coming off of the main one, with a BSF in between the main splitter and yours. Your boxes need to be located behind the same splitter and have no BSFs in between them, the BSFs stop the 475-625mhz DECA network range.

#1231 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

I have an HR-20 and an H-24 without deca or internet.

The HR20 can't be sharing its recordings without a DECA or other network connection to share it over.
The H24 has an internal DECA, so it is the only one that should have been able to setup a recording.
As ndole posted, you need to add a filter [doesn't matter which way it connects either] between your unit and the SWiM. It wouldn't hurt to also add another filter on each of the other units that are connected to this SWiM.
A.K.A VOS

#1232 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

What you'll need to have your own independent DECA network is to have your own splitter, coming off of the main one, with a BSF in between the main splitter and yours. Your boxes need to be located behind the same splitter and have no BSFs in between them, the BSFs stop the 475-625mhz DECA network range.

Shouldn't the OP have an additional BSF on the input of the HR20 to block the strong DECA signal from the H24 potentially interfering with the HR20's satellite signal?

Since he doesn't have MRV, there's no DECA, splitter, and/or BSF arrangement connected to the HR20 to block it.

#1233 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

The H24 has an internal DECA, so it is the only one that should have been able to setup a recording.

This is correct. I can set up a recording only with the H24. Thank you, ndole, and HoTat2 very much for your help.

#1234 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

Shouldn't the OP have an additional BSF on the input of the HR20 to block the strong DECA signal from the H24 potentially interfering with the HR20's satellite signal?

Since he doesn't have MRV, there's no DECA, splitter, and/or BSF arrangement connected to the HR20 to block it.

Most of what I've read states that HR20-100s require their own BSF. However, I also read a post or two that indicates some don't. In one post, VOS shared diagrams showing two ways to connect an HR20 for deca, one with a BSF, the other without. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

#1235 OFFLINE   GP245

GP245

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

Have your neighbor get his own dish and enough with these work arounds!

#1236 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

Most of what I've read states that HR20-100s require their own BSF. However, I also read a post or two that indicates some don't. In one post, VOS shared diagrams showing two ways to connect an HR20 for deca, one with a BSF, the other without. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

"The Whole Idea" is the SAT input needs to have a DECA signal blocked, when there is a DECA signal present in the coax. This is done one of two ways:

• installing a DECA
  • Using a band stop filter.
The HR20-100 is a strange animal because it needs to power a DECA from the SAT #2.
The images I posted show where the splitter is placed defines whether a BSF too is needed or not.
A.K.A VOS

#1237 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

"The Whole Idea" is the SAT input needs to have a DECA signal blocked, when there is a DECA signal present in the coax. This is done one of two ways:

• installing a DECA
  • Using a band stop filter.
The HR20-100 is a strange animal because it needs to power a DECA from the SAT #2.
The images I posted show where the splitter is placed defines whether a BSF too is needed or not.

I see what you're saying now, or at least I think I do. One diagram (call it diagram 1 or method 1) shows a splitter between the HR20 and DECA; the other diagram (call it diagram2 or method 2) shows a DECA and BSF between an HR20 and a splitter. Both methods work.

#1238 OFFLINE   steelgtr

steelgtr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

Hi Guys

I was getting pixelation on BravoHD MSNBC HD and a few others.

System test says alignment problem. 2 new B Band filters and still show the same error. (picture looks fine now)

What satellite transponders do I check? The 99c shows low 20's to 40's.

Only 101 is in the 80's and 90's.

I'm pretty handy so can I adjust it myself if it's really off?

thx

bob

#1239 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:03 PM

Hi Guys

I was getting pixelation on BravoHD MSNBC HD and a few others.

System test says alignment problem. 2 new B Band filters and still show the same error. (picture looks fine now)

What satellite transponders do I check? The 99c shows low 20's to 40's.

Only 101 is in the 80's and 90's.

I'm pretty handy so can I adjust it myself if it's really off?

thx

bob

Your 99c is horrible.
I tweak my dish when it needs it [FWIW].
I'd focus on your 99 and bet the others improve too.
A.K.A VOS

#1240 OFFLINE   steelgtr

steelgtr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

Your 99c is horrible.
I tweak my dish when it needs it [FWIW].
I'd focus on your 99 and bet the others improve too.

Thanks, VOS

Should I concentrate on the tilt or is it hard to say?

bob

spam firewall