Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM & SWMline general discussion

• Please log in to reply
1301 replies to this topic

#1241 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:11 PM

Thanks, VOS

Should I concentrate on the tilt or is it hard to say?

bob

EL & AZ, as the tilt has little effect between 99/101/103. It has more to do with 119 if you have the SL5 LNB.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1242 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

They must have MRV, to see your recordings.
One of you needs to have a bandstop filter installed where the coax comes into the condo. This will block MRV between units.
Sharing a SWiM may cause problems as if one user adds more receivers, it can cause the other to not be able to use theirs.

Bandstop filters worked. :) Thanks for everyone's help.

#1243 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

Not sure why the neighbor's local recordings would disappear though.

Neighbor's roommate had deleted recordings. :lol:

#1244 OFFLINE   nc88keyz

nc88keyz

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:59 AM

Can someone tell me if my SWM-16 is short a channel on this configuration and if so is it because the DECA channel/mrv wasnt accounted for.
"Living Room"
HR-34 HMC
HR-24-500
HR-22-200
HR-20-700

Master
HR-20-700

Upstairs
HR-22-200

I was away from house for 2 weeks as AC broke right after install. Everything is connected with DECA except HR24 , ethernet is inserted to HR-34HMC directly(im not using the broadband inserter, as i read i didnt have to) and it made for cleaner install.

I keep getting error on HR-34 hardware upgrade, dish problem or something. Am i short a SWM channel?

I counted 15, for the tuners? Does MRV use a channel that wasnt accounted for? and if so that equals 16. So i should be good right?

I tried rebooting the HR34.

Is there a correct sequence with this many channels used up to reboot the monster?

The error that keeps on popping up on HR34 is cabling problem, check dish.

Tuners 1, 3, 4, 5 all get signal, Tuner 2 appears dead? This was right out of the box? Any idea?

Edited by nc88keyz, 20 August 2012 - 06:43 AM.

#1245 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:10 AM

You do have 15 tuners, but make sure there are no more than 8 on each output from the SWM16.

#1246 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,839 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:34 AM

Can someone tell me if my SWM-16 is short a channel on this configuration and if so is it because the DECA channel/mrv wasnt accounted for.
"Living Room"
HR-34 HMC
HR-24-500
HR-22-200
HR-20-700

Master
HR-20-700

Upstairs
HR-22-200

I was away from house for 2 weeks as AC broke right after install. Everything is connected with DECA except HR24 , ethernet is inserted to HR-24HMC directly(im not using the broadband inserter, as i read i didnt have to) and it made for cleaner install.

I keep getting error on HR-34 hardware upgrade, dish problem or something. Am i short a SWM channel?

I counted 15, for the tuners? Does MRV use a channel that wasnt accounted for? and if so that equals 16. So i should be good right?

I tried rebooting the HR34.

Is there a correct sequence with this many channels used up to reboot the monster?

The error that keeps on popping up on HR34 is cabling problem, check dish.

Tuners 1, 3, 4, 5 all get signal, Tuner 2 appears dead? This was right out of the box? Any idea?

In addition to what TB stated, I'm a bit confused to the comment highlighted above. The HMC would be an HR34, not a HR24.

If you have an ethernet wire connected to the HR34 to your router, you should not have a BB DECA or CCK connected to the system anywhere else. The HR34 can act as a bridge to the internet. If its a typo on the 24, nothing to worry about then.

#1247 OFFLINE   nc88keyz

nc88keyz

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:48 AM

Hey i think that is what is wrong. Why didnt the installeyr recognize this problem?

So you can only have 8 channels on one side of the SWM . ie 1-8 and 9-16.

I have 11 in Living Room/Media center. I dont think i have the equipment to tap those lines out. Should i unplug all the other recievers to ensure that the HMC doesnt have a bad tuner on 2. I just tryed swapping coax from HR24 to HR34 and it still replicating tuner 2 dead after SWM16 power cycle

#1248 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,839 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

You can't have BB DECA or CCK and coax to your HR24.

Here's the simple answers
Put the HR34 and one HR2X on SWM1 output with 2 way splitter
Put all the other HR2X's on SWM2 output with 4 way splitter

Connect one Cat5 cable from your router to the HR34 ethernet port
If there is a BB DECA or CCK to your router, disconnect it from any splitter.
Have one DECA on the HR20-22's each

Reboot everything, start with the SWM, then each receiver one by one, about 2 mins apart.

The above should work. Let us know.

#1249 OFFLINE   nc88keyz

nc88keyz

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

OK its not the HR34 tuner. Its definately a SWM issue. or dare i say installer error.

the message single SWM channel available has now moved from HR34 to HR20.

I think it was just an oversight on installer part.

I have 4 coax going into LR, but 11 tuners. Before I had a 16 port legacy MS cascaded to that wall, That was the reason for the RG6 4 lines.
So for this to be correct.

I need HR34 and 1 HR 20 on one SWM 1-8 leg ( THat equals 7 tuners) and the 2 HR20, 2HR22s on the other leg. (Thats 8 channels on SWM 9-16 leg)

15 Tuners. Then i wont get a cabling error, and SWM channel error. No more than 8 tuners on each leg of the SWM!!

I am definately not using the BBK broadband inserter (just ethernet from switch to back of HR34, and I have decas on all the HR20,HR22s, NOT the HR24.

I called the installer he is stopping by this afternoon. Its rainy and mucky. Its his baby.

Here's the simple answers
Put the HR34 and one HR2X on SWM1 output with 2 way splitter
Put all the other HR2X's on SWM2 output with 4 way splitter

He has two eight way splitters (green label) I guess it doesnt matter does it as long as the unused outputs are terminated.

#1250 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

OK its not the HR34 tuner. Its definately a SWM issue. or dare i say installer error.

the message single SWM channel available has now moved from HR34 to HR20.

I think it was just an oversight on installer part.

I have 4 coax going into LR, but 11 tuners. Before I had a 16 port legacy MS cascaded to that wall, That was the reason for the RG6 4 lines.
So for this to be correct.

I need HR34 and 1 HR 20 on one SWM 1-8 leg ( THat equals 7 tuners) and the 2 HR20, 2HR22s on the other leg. (Thats 8 channels on SWM 9-16 leg)

15 Tuners. Then i wont get a cabling error, and SWM channel error. No more than 8 tuners on each leg of the SWM!!

I am definately not using the BBK broadband inserter (just ethernet from switch to back of HR34, and I have decas on all the HR20,HR22s, NOT the HR24.

I called the installer he is stopping by this afternoon. Its rainy and mucky. Its his baby.

He has two eight way splitters (green label) I guess it doesnt matter does it as long as the unused outputs are terminated.

He should not use a splitter any larger than necessary. I'd have one 2 way next to the hr34 and hr that will be on the same leg and id have one 4 way next to the swim with each of those lines going to the other four. Using an eight lowers your signal levels unnecessarily.

#1251 OFFLINE   nc88keyz

nc88keyz

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

Thats nice to know. He hasnt showed up yet either, i gave him today to fix it on his own, before reporting it.

I will be sure to educate him on the splitter signal loss issue as well.

So i should have a 2 way, and 4 way. Great I have 2 8 ways.

Ugly

#1252 OFFLINE   nc88keyz

nc88keyz

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

O/T but does the HR34 have a limit of 50 season passes?

#1253 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

Thats nice to know. He hasnt showed up yet either, i gave him today to fix it on his own, before reporting it.

I will be sure to educate him on the splitter signal loss issue as well.

So i should have a 2 way, and 4 way. Great I have 2 8 ways.

Ugly

O/T but does the HR34 have a limit of 50 season passes?

As much as I hate 8-ways, it wasn't/isn't your problem. "Really" 8-ways only cause problems when you have long coax runs, and the cable loss + the added splitter loss add up to low signals at the end of the line.

The 34 has 100 SLs [I think, but know more than 50 on mine now]
A.K.A VOS

#1254 OFFLINE   nc88keyz

nc88keyz

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

well i have 2 eight ways, one on each leg. Sloppy in my opinion. I dont know if i should call him again and ask him if he was planning on stopping this evening or just call it in.

#1255 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

well i have 2 eight ways, one on each leg. Sloppy in my opinion. I dont know if i should call him again and ask him if he was planning on stopping this evening or just call it in.

This was a true statement, which was why I didn't comment:

The larger splitter may "waste" some power, but your receivers aren't going to get a "better picture" with smaller splitters.
A.K.A VOS

#1256 OFFLINE   nc88keyz

nc88keyz

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

I hung around the house waiting for him today to fix his work. Apparently I wasn't a priority because he is rescheduling for tomorrow afternoon. I really do try to give someone the benefit of the doubt. Am I being too nice here? I just wanna finish this project to move on to the next one.

What happens if i call directv, and they have to dispatch another service call to fix his mistakes? Will the installer get a chargeback ? Installer is disagreeing with me on the 8 way vs 2 and 4 way splitter. Says it "dont" matter. Any documents I can print to show?

#1257 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:10 PM

I wouldn't want to burn the guy, and if you call it will trigger a charge back.
If he keeps "dicking with you", well that's another story.

"Frankly" if your coax runs aren't "really long", it doesn't matter.

There is a 30 dB loss budget between the SWiM and the farthest receiver.
If you're within this, then it makes no difference if you're only having 15 dB of loss, or 24 dB of loss, as the receiver isn't going to do anything different.

Edited by veryoldschool, 20 August 2012 - 06:25 PM.

A.K.A VOS

#1258 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,839 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

Let us know if the guy even has 2w and 4w splitters. Wonder if his warehouse just uses 8 ways.

#1259 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

About a year ago I got an early Genie, and the installer swapped out my SWM-5 for a SWM-8, since I had a second DVR in the system.  The SWM5 he removed was in my wiring center in the attic.  Apparently, when he put the SWM-8 in, he moved it somewhere else, and only a SPLT8 and the power inserter is where it should be. 

I hadn't noticed this when he did it, so the other day when the attic insulator people came, I told them to leave my little wiring area clear, which they did, but apparently the SWM8 somewhere else and covered.  I checked their work and found that the SWM8 was nowhere to be seen.  One wire leads off in the direction of the dish, but the SWM 8 is not at the dish either.  Obviously it is someplace, but where?  Is there a standard rule about placing these things?

Not unexpectedly, I'm suddenly getting comm errors which I think are the SWM8 overheating.  Do I get the installation people back out to fix this, or what?  Not sure the protection plan will cover this, and I'd just as soon fix it myself.  Thoughts?

Edited by gully_foyle, 20 May 2013 - 10:15 PM.

DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#1260 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:36 AM

Are you sure the original installer didn't replace your SWiM-5 with a SWiM LNB?

As it apparently looks that way with the SWiM-5 swapped out for a SWiM splitter and PI with no sign of a SWiM-8 module anywhere.

For the SWiM communication problem, the insulation people may have loosened a cable or something, but I'm not sure they would know anything about properly checking connections for you.

If you don't feel you can troubleshoot the issue yourself by tracing the line and making sure all connector fittings are tight, then you may have to call for service from DIRECTV then.   

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

spam firewall