Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM & SWMline general discussion

• Please log in to reply
1301 replies to this topic

#1261 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:09 AM

it does sure looks like you have a SWM LNB and not a SWM8 switch 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1262 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

Are you sure the original installer didn't replace your SWiM-5 with a SWiM LNB?

As it apparently looks that way with the SWiM-5 swapped out for a SWiM splitter and PI with no sign of a SWiM-8 module anywhere.

For the SWiM communication problem, the insulation people may have loosened a cable or something, but I'm not sure they would know anything about properly checking connections for you.

If you don't feel you can troubleshoot the issue yourself by tracing the line and making sure all connector fittings are tight, then you may have to call for service from DIRECTV then.   

Is there a way to look at the dish and see what LNB version is installed?  Pictures someplace?  There appear to be 4 cables coming out of the dish, which is what made me assume that it was an external SWM.  The installer had some difficulty getting it to work.

Would a SWiM LNB upgrade leave the old F-connector block on the dish?

Edited by gully_foyle, 21 May 2013 - 11:48 AM.

DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#1263 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,035 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

Is there a way to look at the dish and see what LNB version is installed?  Pictures someplace?  There appear to be 4 cables coming out of the dish, which is what made me assume that it was an external SWM.  The installer had some difficulty getting it to work.

Would a SWiM LNB upgrade leave the old F-connector block on the dish?

No way visually other than the tell-tale sign of only one line coming from the dish for a SWiM LNB. But since there are four lines you would need to remove the LNB to see if the additional lines are actually connected to it or just tucked inside the LNB arm, 

Short of that you're going to have to trace those lines from the dish to actually see where they terminate to be sure.

Then at that point you're going to either find a SWiM-8 module there, or a maybe just a 4 barrel ground block with only one line connected to the opposite side of one barrel which couples one of the lines (which is the one that must be connected to the LNB) from there inside the home to the point where the splitter ---> PI are in the attic.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#1264 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

So, I went up and looked.  While from the ground it looks like 4 lines, two are actually no longer connected to the LNB -- which reads "SWiM" on the back.  Strong clue.  Inside the attic, near the power adapter and splitter, one cable of a dual-cable set is unconnected (and was probably unconnected inside the LNB arm).  I assume that was one of the two connected to the dish, leaving the one line down.

So, the problem isn't heat as I thought (or at least not due to a powered box under a foot of insulation).  I'll test the couplings now.

Thanks all.

Edited by gully_foyle, 21 May 2013 - 05:41 PM.

DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#1265 OFFLINE   EricJRW

EricJRW

Icon

• Registered
  • 507 posts
  • LocationKeller, TX

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

Well at least you have extra runs of coax in place to test with. 

DTV: SIR-TS360 7/25/2004
DTV: HR21-200 7/05/2008

DTV: AM21-700 7/10/2008
DTV: HR22-100 5/15/2009

FTV: QIP6416/QIP2500 4/25/2013

#1266 OFFLINE   DaveC56

DaveC56

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

I currently have 4 HD DVRs (2-HR21s & 2-HR23s) and an old SD DVR.  I am looking to add a Genie, and eliminate the old SD DVR.  My current DISH is a Slimline 3 with four wires connecting to a Zinwell-16 Multiswitch.  What are the installation options to wire a Genie, and my other 4 HD DVRs?  Is using a SWiM-16 the only option, or can the installation be achieved with a Slimline SWiM dish with one wire & other SWiM spliters?

Thanks,

Dave

#1267 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

I currently have 4 HD DVRs (2-HR21s & 2-HR23s) and an old SD DVR.  I am looking to add a Genie, and eliminate the old SD DVR.  My current DISH is a Slimline 3 with four wires connecting to a Zinwell-16 Multiswitch.  What are the installation options to wire a Genie, and my other 4 HD DVRs?  Is using a SWiM-16 the only option, or can the installation be achieved with a Slimline SWiM dish with one wire & other SWiM spliters?

Thanks,

Dave

Since you will have 13 tuners you only option is  a SWM16, but this should be a simple swap since you already have the four lines from the dish

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#1268 OFFLINE   DaveC56

DaveC56

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:04 AM

Since you will have 13 tuners you only option is  a SWM16, but this should be a simple swap since you already have the four lines from the dish

One final questions, is there a limitation on MRV?  Since I'll have 5 units, I wanted to make sure all could be accessed.

Thanks, Dave.

#1269 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,909 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:35 AM

One final questions, is there a limitation on MRV?  Since I'll have 5 units, I wanted to make sure all could be accessed.

Thanks, Dave.

There is a limit, I don't recall the number but I believe you are well below it.

#1270 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

One final questions, is there a limitation on MRV? Since I'll have 5 units, I wanted to make sure all could be accessed.

Thanks, Dave.

no more than 16 nodes and out those 16 only 10 can be HDDVRs

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#1271 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,035 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

no more than 16 nodes and out those 16 only 10 can be HDDVRs

Yeah, MRV uses the MoCA 1.1 protocol (on Band "E" for DIRECTV) which can have up to 16 nodes.

However, that doesn't mean the UPL produced by the DIRECTV software for WHDVR service as a higher level protocol that runs over MoCA will be able to see the playlists of up to 16 host HD-DVRs on the MoCA network from any one receiver.   

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#1272 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

Yeah, MRV uses the MoCA 1.1 protocol (on Band "E" for DIRECTV) which can have up to 16 nodes.

However, that doesn't mean the UPL produced by the DIRECTV software for WHDVR service as a higher level protocol that runs over MoCA will be able to see the playlists of up to 16 host HD-DVRs on the MoCA network from any one receiver.

Yeah, I IIRC 10 is the "sweet spot"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#1273 OFFLINE   DaveC56

DaveC56

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

A follow-on question - I currently have a Zinwell-16 Multi-switch for my 4 HD DVRs & one SD-DVR.  Is there any advantage in changing to a SWM-8 switch other than eliminating BBC connectors, and reduction in coax cables to each HD DVR?  My current DISH is a Slimline 3 with four wires connecting to a Zinwell-16 Multiswitch.

Thanks, Dave

• bezlar likes this

#1274 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

A follow-on question - I currently have a Zinwell-16 Multi-switch for my 4 HD DVRs & one SD-DVR. Is there any advantage in changing to a SWM-8 switch other than eliminating BBC connectors, and reduction in coax cables to each HD DVR? My current DISH is a Slimline 3 with four wires connecting to a Zinwell-16 Multiswitch.

Thanks, Dave

You hit it on the nail as for some of the advantages. You'd also be able to switch to DECA for Whole Home and could start using the newer receivers, such as Genies and minis along with the H25. Don't forget with your setup, you'd need to put the SD-DVR on the legacy ports as you'd be using all 8 tuners with your HD-DVRs.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#1275 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

I have a question.  About three months ago I swapped out a self-installed SWM8 for a SWM16 in anticipation of upgrading my main receiver to a Genie.  When I swapped out the SWM8 I just took the line with the main receiver/PI on it and put it on SWM1.  I moved the 4-way splitter with the other two DVRs to SWM2 and brought the system and the receivers back up.  It worked fine so I left it alone.  Sunday DirecTV came with an HR44.  It was pretty much a "plug and play" installation for the tech.  He did look at the SWM16 but he was more interested in making sure the HR44 was on a SWM connection that not exceed the tuner limitations.  He didn't say anything about moving or isolating the PI.  So since I have some downtime during Thanksgiving to mess around with my setup is there any benefit or reason to isolate the PI to the separate power input on the SWM16?  I should add that I have as many receivers (3) as we're ever likely to get as there's just the two of us and we rarely get visitors who would want or need access to our full DirecTV service. 

Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#1276 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

I have a question.  

there is really no technical reason, as long as everything is connected properly.  What I mean by this is, as long as you are using RG6 SCC, and is not too long, then there is no difference. 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#1277 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

Thanks.  Indeed it is installed properly in terms of RG6 SCC and the distance is 20 feet of cable run from the PI to the SWM16.  It's been up and running first with the SWM8 and now the SWM16 for five or more years without any issues or problems so I'll leave it alone for the time being. 

Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#1278 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

Thanks.  Indeed it is installed properly in terms of RG6 SCC and the distance is 20 feet of cable run from the PI to the SWM16.  It's been up and running first with the SWM8 and now the SWM16 for five or more years without any issues or problems so I'll leave it alone for the time being. 

so you should be in "good shape" changing it would be more like being a "perfectionist" which there is nothing wrong with that

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#1279 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

Oh me.....you used the magic word...."perfectionist".  That probably means once Mrs. K goes back to work Monday I'll be in the attic.  :righton:  My equipment board isn't nearly as sophisticated as some I've seen pictures of on this board but I try to keep it neat and labeled.  The DirecTV tech either hasn't seen many installations or maybe just the luck of the draw but he actually asked me if I'd done it myself or had an outside tech do it.  Made me feel good but also makes me wonder what kind of "messes" he'd come across. 

Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#1280 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

but also makes me wonder what kind of "messes" he'd come across. 

Oh no, you don't want to know....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...