Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM & SWMline general discussion

• Please log in to reply
1301 replies to this topic

#1281 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 557 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

I have a dumb question and I apologize in advance. I have a SWM 16 and the power supply sits in my living room behind my TV. I had new flooring put in today and either the installers or my wife disconnected everything. We have one cable that comes up from the basement. The is a 2 way splitter that attaches to the cable. One end connects to my Genie. The other connects to the PI. There is another cable that connects from the PI to the power supply and cord. Here's my question. The 2 ports on the SWM are marked "IRD" and "power to SWM". Which connects to the power supply and which connects to the splitter?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1282 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

Here's my question. The 2 ports on the SWM are marked "IRD" and "power to SWM". Which connects to the power supply and which connects to the splitter?

This is the PI and "to SWiM" goes towards "the dish" and "IRD" towards the Genie.

A.K.A VOS

#1283 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 557 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

This is the PI and "to SWiM" goes towards "the dish" and "IRD" towards the Genie.

as always, thank you.

#1284 OFFLINE   Chris72

Chris72

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

Im a subcontractor which installs commercial Directv.Most of the installations that are installed are SWM.The question I have is, is there a software that needs to be installed on an AIM meter to check the signal strengths through the swm32 ports?Been having issues with SWM32's going bad.

#1285 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,303 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:41 PM

Im a subcontractor which installs commercial Directv.Most of the installations that are installed are SWM.The question I have is, is there a software that needs to be installed on an AIM meter to check the signal strengths through the swm32 ports?Been having issues with SWM32's going bad.

It should be no different than a SWM8 or SWM16.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#1286 OFFLINE   kjgarrison

kjgarrison

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

Could be another dumb one .... did a search without any luck ...

I have a DVR in my basement that is attached to an old HDTV (1080i) via DVI and it is attached to my main floor primary HDTV via component cables. The PI is in the basement right behind the old HDTV and of course attaches to the DVR.

I would like to move the DVR up to the main floor primary HDTV and connect via HDMI. I would simply reverse the component connection for the basement TV which is used very little.

Now to the questions: Can I leave the PI where it is? (It would not be connected to a DVR, but of course would still be connected to the coax cable to the dish) If it CAN function without a connection to a DVR, does the unused output from the PI (that formerly went to the DVR) need to be terminated?

Thanks all,

Ken

#1287 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,856 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:59 PM

The PI should work just fine, as long as you leave the coax running from it back toward the dish in place and wired the way it is.

#1288 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,303 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

does the unused output from the PI (that formerly went to the DVR) need to be terminated?

Thanks all,

Ken

Yup, it needs to be terminated 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#1289 OFFLINE   kjgarrison

kjgarrison

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

carl6 and peds48, thanks for the replies.

#1290 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

I have a HR22-100 and an old DirecTiVo (SD) currently in use.  I also have a HR20 on account though it's not hooked up.  I have a SlimLine dish with the 4 outputs.

What do I need to replace so I could put add a Genie on my account? 

Do I have to replace the LNB on the dish plus get one of those SWM adapters? What do I exactly need?  Am I correct that once I setup SWM, the old SD DirecTivo wouldn't work?

Also, once you have SWM, will a receiver like Genie and HR22 automatically work for Whole Home DVR?  I don't have to have Whole Home DVR right now but might want it down the road.  

The Genie on my main plasma is my real goal ,but I'd hate to make the other receivers inoperable.  

Thanks.  I always do my own installation work to save the hassle/worry of the installers.

Edited by mika911, 05 March 2014 - 10:12 AM.

#1291 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

I have a HR22-100 and an old DirecTiVo (SD) currently in use.  I also have a HR20 on account though it's not hooked up.  I have a SlimLine dish with the 4 outputs.

What do I need to replace so I could put add a Genie on my account? 

Do I have to replace the LNB on the dish plus get one of those SWM adapters? What do I exactly need?  Am I correct that once I setup SWM, the old SD DirecTivo wouldn't work?

Also, once you have SWM, will a receiver like Genie and HR22 automatically work for Whole Home DVR?  I don't have to have Whole Home DVR right now but might want it down the road.  

The Genie on my main plasma is my real goal ,but I'd hate to make the other receivers inoperable.  

Thanks.  I always do my own installation work to save the hassle/worry of the installers.

The old Tivo won't work on a SWiM.

You have two options:

Drop the Tivo and use a SWiMLNB, which needs a power supply [PI] and splitter..

Keep the Tivo and use a SWM8 switch, which you can connect the Tivo to on a legacy port, then a PI & splitter

"Whole home" is  networking, which once you have a SWiM, you can use  the DECA adapter on the HR22 and the Genie has it internal.

SWiM only has to do with whole home in that you need it to use the DECA networking.

• mika911 likes this
A.K.A VOS

#1292 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

Thank you.  I think I understand it.  I may go the LNB route and keep the HR22 and HR20 for now.

Once the Genie arrives, I will replace the HR20 with it.  Then later on if I get fed up with slow HR22 I could get one of the add on Mini for second room.

If you had an add-on Mini  and a Genie, the networking would be automatic?

DirecTV should let me activate the Genie though, even if I'm not setup for the networking (I'm not going to bother setting up the HR22 to talk to Genie)?  Honestly I wouldn't really even need networking in that solution until I get the mini (if ever) to replace the HR22. 

Thanks.  Great information!  It simplified what I had researched. 

I have two lines of course running to HR22 so my plan would be to use one of those backwards to supply the power to the splitter. The splitter can be outside in bad weather, or is that a no go (my weather isn't so bad actually but it wouldn't be covered)?  Then use the other line to bring in the signal from the splitter.  

I shouldn't ask anymore, but would 3 sat LNB or ok or do I need 5 sat LNB?  I think 110 & 119 aren't used for most people now?  Or smarter to get 5 LNB?

If I get the 3 sat LNB, even though my dish MIGHT need slight tweaking, will it more or less still be aimed from my current 5 LNB with the quad output built in? Thanks again.

Just thought of something...I still have an 18 -inch DTV dish on my roof.  I guess I could feed  a SD DirecTiVo from it for 101 only, should work fine.  It's not pointed at 101 right now, but those little things couldn't be easier to aim. 

The old Tivo won't work on a SWiM.

You have two options:

Drop the Tivo and use a SWiMLNB, which needs a power supply [PI] and splitter..

Keep the Tivo and use a SWM8 switch, which you can connect the Tivo to on a legacy port, then a PI & splitter

"Whole home" is  networking, which once you have a SWiM, you can use  the DECA adapter on the HR22 and the Genie has it internal.

SWiM only has to do with whole home in that you need it to use the DECA networking.

Edited by mika911, 05 March 2014 - 02:56 PM.

#1293 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,303 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

If you had an add-on Mini  and a Genie, the networking would be automatic? Yes, as they both use DECA for Networking 

DirecTV should let me activate the Genie though, even if I'm not setup for the networking Not sure DirecTV will let you activate a Genie without them first installing SWM 

(I'm not going to bother setting up the HR22 to talk to Genie)?  Honestly I wouldn't really even need networking in that solution until I get the mini (if ever) to replace the HR22.  you can get a DECA for the HR22 since you will be change for WHDVR as soon as you activate the Genie 

Thanks.  Great information!  It simplified what I had researched. 

I have two lines of course running to HR22 so my plan would be to use one of those backwards to supply the power to the splitter. The splitter can be outside in bad weather, or is that a no go (my weather isn't so bad actually but it wouldn't be covered)?  Then use the other line to bring in the signal from the splitter.  Yes, the splitter can be outside, they come with weather boots

I shouldn't ask anymore, but would 3 sat LNB or ok or do I need 5 sat LNB?  I think 110 & 119 aren't used for most people now?  Or smarter to get 5 LNB? I would match the same LNB you have now, but if you don't subscribe to Spanish programming or what the religious channels form the 119, then a SWM 3 LNB is fine, there is nothing on the 110 for DirecTV USA

If I get the 3 sat LNB, even though my dish MIGHT need slight tweaking, will it more or less still be aimed from my current 5 LNB with the quad output built in? Thanks again. you can use the 4 output LNB to align the dish

Just thought of something...I still have an 18 -inch DTV dish on my roof.  I guess I could feed  a SD DirecTiVo from it for 101 only, should work fine.  It's not pointed at 101 right now, but those little things couldn't be easier to aim.  Yes, you can use the round dish to run your legacy TiVO

• mika911 likes this
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#1294 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:42 PM

DirecTV should let me activate the Genie though, even if I'm not setup for the networking Not sure DirecTV will let you activate a Genie without them first installing SWM

Thanks for all those fantastic answers!  I guess this one above is my only concern/worry.  I don't see why I can't tell them I paid a local electronic shop to setup SWM LNB and bought the receiver from them?  After all, I will have to buy (lease) the receiver myself from an ebay seller or place like solid signal or Weaknees because DirecTV wouldn't give me one without a pro install.

Shouldn't there be a decent chance I can get them to activate it if I have everything setup and running and acquired it myself?  

Thanks again!  Seems I am just about sorted now! 

#1295 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,303 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for all those fantastic answers! I guess this one above is my only concern/worry. I don't see why I can't tell them I paid a local electronic shop to setup SWM LNB and bought the receiver from them? After all, I will have to buy (lease) the receiver myself from an ebay seller or place like solid signal or Weaknees because DirecTV wouldn't give me one without a pro install.

Shouldn't there be a decent chance I can get them to activate it if I have everything setup and running and acquired it myself?

Thanks again! Seems I am just about sorted now!
I guess they need to make sure is installed to their standards just in case you ever call for service

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • mika911 likes this
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#1296 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:49 AM

I see what you mean.  I did similar trick back when I had single LNB dish (101) and wanted a Tivo HD.  I installed 3 LNB dish myself, and by buying the receiver myself, they activated it without problem.  I just called and said I was ready to activate.

I guess they might have cracked down on that.  They have online receiver activation too, but it probably blocks Genies. 

I will check with the stores I was considering buying (leasing) the Genie from, to see if they've heard anything.

Thanks again.

I guess they need to make sure is installed to their standards just in case you ever call for service

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#1297 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,303 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:41 AM

They have online receiver activation too, but it probably blocks Genies. 

Online activation only works for replacement receivers drop shipped by DirecTV 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#1298 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

Online activation only works for replacement receivers drop shipped by DirecTV 

Thanks.

Weaknees told me I should be able to activate it on the phone with zero problems so I guess I will give it a chance.  I'll post back how it goes (my fingers crossed). 

So grateful I had my (many) questions answered here in less than a day!  Amazing help. Thanks again. 

Edited by mika911, 06 March 2014 - 09:41 AM.

#1299 OFFLINE   Stevies3

Stevies3

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:32 PM

Currently in my setup I have 10 total tuners. If I remove one of my HR24's for an RVU TV knocking me down to 8 tuners do I need to replace my swm16 with a SWM8? Or is the SWM16 backward compatable.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

-------------------------

DirecTV since 1996

1 x HR44
1 x H24
2 x HR24

3 x RVU
SWM16

AU9-SL3

#1300 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,030 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

You are fine. There is no minimum. There's only a max.

spam firewall