Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM & SWMline general discussion

• Please log in to reply
1301 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Chip Moody

Chip Moody

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:27 PM

For lurkers wondering - it is very easy. The swap to the SWM-8 is basically a move a cable at a time obvious

Yes - very easy - think I spent about as much time setting mine up as you did.

My gripe this weekend is that DirecTV sent me a new H20 and it appears to be one of the flavors that doesn't recognize the SWM8. :mad:

Looking at the picture of the SWM8, it specifies which Sats/voltages are connected to each input. How do you know which outputs of the WB68 to use?

I currently have cascaded WB68s. What I'd like to do is insert the SWM8 after the primary WB68, parallel to the secondary WB68 (each would use 4 ports). I would then connect one HR20 (which has only a single cable running to it) and an HDTivo (using 2 legacy ports). Does this sound like it will work?

Yes, that sounds like it would work. As for the four inputs, if you're connecting them to four outputs of a WB68 you don't need to worry - the SWM8 will "signal" the WB68 outputs so that they configure correctly to match the SWM8's needs.

- Chip
"How can one little insulated wire bring so much happiness!?!" - Homer Simpson

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   thetoad30

thetoad30

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:01 PM

All,

Can someone please help me? I'm a newbie to sat installs and after reading all these posts I'm lost on what I should do.

I currently have two lines running from a left-over satellite dish from a previous tenant. I WANT HD and the 4 or 5 LNB dish, but I'm not sure I can get one. See, I'm going to be bonusing off of my parents' subscription and I won't technically get a way to have an installer come out to put up a dish for free. Is this something I can pay for, and how much is it? Is this allowed?

I would do it myself, but I have no way of getting up on the roof and I live alone so if I fell it would not be a good thing.

Anyway, previously the other tenants were using a multi-switch (2x3) with a dedicated line into the home. However, I went out tonight to look at the cable box as the home is wired for cable, and I noticed it was run with a triple-splitter to three of the rooms in the house, and then there was another splitter up in a room that shared a wall with one of the original three runs (so four total rooms, but three dedicated lines with a splitter on the end of one run to give four rooms).

I want to run receivers (DVR if possible) to every room in the house. I'll need one in the basement, the family room, the master bedroom, and the room that was split off of the third room. I do NOT need one in the third room since I'd rather have it in the basement. So there's my eight total ports.

Will the SWM do this for me without any special splitters? I have talked to some online dealers and they are telling me I need to split the SWM output with a special SWM splitter to send the signal to all the cables. to me this defeats the point of the SWM, but maybe I just don't understand?

I was wondering if I could just hook the triple-splitter in the box up to the SWM output on the SWM and the signals would just run that way, including through the splitter in the 3rd/4th room?

Please help me since I'm confused on which way I need to do this.

I will also be duplexing in the cable as I will need cable internet in the third room. I will get a diplexer to split out the cable signal, but will I need one at every output to separate the signals at the termination so as not to "confuse" the DirecTV box?

Thank you all very much!!!

#143 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,736 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:42 AM

See, I'm going to be bonusing off of my parents' subscription Is this allowed?

What you want to is not allowed. You must get your own DirecTV account.

#144 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:04 AM

My gripe this weekend is that DirecTV sent me a new H20 and it appears to be one of the flavors that doesn't recognize the SWM8. :mad:

Yes, that sounds like it would work. As for the four inputs, if you're connecting them to four outputs of a WB68 you don't need to worry - the SWM8 will "signal" the WB68 outputs so that they configure correctly to match the SWM8's needs.

- Chip

Your H20 should work fine OK the SWM8 if you download the correct software. You need to connect it to one of the legacy outputs of the SWM8 (or to the WB68) and then initiate a software download. Do a reset, when the first blue screen appears with the "Hello" message, carefully press 02468 and the receiver will go into software download mode. You will get the current national software release. Once you have done that, you can move the H20 to the SWM connection if you want and it should work fine.

#145 OFFLINE   thetoad30

thetoad30

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:00 AM

What you want to is not allowed. You must get your own DirecTV account.

Can you tell me why this is or where it says this in the AUP for DirecTV?

I just find it hard to believe that they won't let you do this since it doesn't matter because they're still getting paid...

But regardless, if I do get a new account, the additional questions I posted still apply since I'll be getting one of the new dishes at that point... can anyone help? I'm still confused.

Thanks.

#146 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,718 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:23 AM

Can you tell me why this is or where it says this in the AUP for DirecTV?

I just find it hard to believe that they won't let you do this since it doesn't matter because they're still getting paid...

But regardless, if I do get a new account, the additional questions I posted still apply since I'll be getting one of the new dishes at that point... can anyone help? I'm still confused.

Thanks.

Here is the customer service agreement: http://www.directv.c...assetId=P400042

I don't actually see references to the service location except for the phone line connections.

Section 1(F) refers to phone connections, noting that if receivers are connected to the same phone line they may all be mirrored on the same account.

(f) Phone Connections. For optimal performance of your Receiving Equipment, including ordering with your remote control or receiving certain Services, each of your receivers must be directly connected to the same land-based telephone line. If you add Service on additional TVs, you may purchase a separate subscription for each additional TV, or, if all your receivers are continuously connected to the same land-based telephone line, we can "mirror" programming to your additional TVs and charge you only the fee amount described in Section 2. You agree to provide true and accurate information about the location of your receivers. If we detect that any receiver is not regularly connected to a land-based telephone line, we may investigate and, if it is determined that the receiver is not at the location identified on your account, we may disconnect the receiver or charge you the full programming subscription price for the receiver.

And under Section 2(3):

(3) Additional TV Authorization Fee: If you meet the qualifications described in Section 1(f), we may charge you a monthly fee of up to $4.99 for separate Services on each additional TV, rather than a full subscription fee for Services on each additional TV. This reduced rate is available only if all receivers are located at your residence.

#147 OFFLINE   thetoad30

thetoad30

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:40 AM

Ok, thanks. So it looks like I'll be getting a new account, which will at least get me a free dish setup and one free receiver.

So again, with the splitters... can anyone answer those questions? Will DirecTV actually come out and install a dish with the SWM on it already?

Thanks.

#148 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:38 AM

Ok, thanks. So it looks like I'll be getting a new account, which will at least get me a free dish setup and one free receiver.

So again, with the splitters... can anyone answer those questions? Will DirecTV actually come out and install a dish with the SWM on it already?

Thanks.

SWM splitters need to be 2-2150 MHz, which aren't the type used for cable.
Diplexing in/out your cable internet may or may not work. It depends on the type of diplexers used & the frequencies used by your cable company.
DirecTV doesn't support diplexing with their SWM systems. This doesn't mean it can't be done, just that if you have problems, calling DirecTV won't be an option.
A.K.A VOS

#149 OFFLINE   thetoad30

thetoad30

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:47 AM

SWM splitters need to be 2-2150 MHz, which aren't the type used for cable.
Diplexing in/out your cable internet may or may not work. It depends on the type of diplexers used & the frequencies used by your cable company.
DirecTV doesn't support diplexing with their SWM systems. This doesn't mean it can't be done, just that if you have problems, calling DirecTV won't be an option.

Ok. So I've been reading a bit more. Let me see if I get this correctly.

If I get the SWM8, it will automatically provide up to 8 SWM connections. A DVR will take two, where a regular receiver only takes one. So if I split the signal to four different rooms, those rooms can have up to one DVR each, or some combination on those lines, so much as they don't exceed the total of eight SWM signals. Am I right on this?

#150 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:02 PM

Ok. So I've been reading a bit more. Let me see if I get this correctly.

If I get the SWM8, it will automatically provide up to 8 SWM connections. A DVR will take two, where a regular receiver only takes one. So if I split the signal to four different rooms, those rooms can have up to one DVR each, or some combination on those lines, so much as they don't exceed the total of eight SWM signals. Am I right on this?

"yes"
A.K.A VOS

#151 OFFLINE   thetoad30

thetoad30

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:47 PM

"yes"

Ok. So if I wanted, through the "4" splitter, even in one room if I split the signal again it could have up to 8 SWM? Or is only one "split" per line acceptable? I wanted to split off of the third room to the fourth one so that the SWM could be put in every room available.

Thank you very much!

#152 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:13 PM

Ok. So if I wanted, through the "4" splitter, even in one room if I split the signal again it could have up to 8 SWM? Or is only one "split" per line acceptable? I wanted to split off of the third room to the fourth one so that the SWM could be put in every room available.

Thank you very much!

You can use several 2-way splitters or a 4-way. Myself, I use a 2-way to feed one room before my PI and then use a 4-way to feed the room the PI is in.
Basically it's mix and match, until you've lost so much power that there isn't enough to work.
A.K.A VOS

#153 OFFLINE   Chip Moody

Chip Moody

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:17 PM

The one they just sent already has the same firmware as my existing H20, which does work... (I want to say 407A?)

The new box will come up on occasion after a RBR or menu reboot and recognize that there's a SWM there - as it reports the SWM firmware version in the info & test menu - but shortly after that it stops recognizing that it's there and stops showing the SWM firmware version. Running sat setup again results in either multiswitch errors, hanging forever at "getting satellite data", etc.

This is also the same leg off my SWM that I had an HR21Pro hooked up to with no issues. I've also tried resetting the whole shooting match - yanking power to both boxes and the SWM, repowering the SWM, waiting a few minutes, then repowering the boxes...

Thanks for the suggestion though - the firmware was one of the first things I checked. :(

- Chip

Your H20 should work fine OK the SWM8 if you download the correct software. You need to connect it to one of the legacy outputs of the SWM8 (or to the WB68) and then initiate a software download. Do a reset, when the first blue screen appears with the "Hello" message, carefully press 02468 and the receiver will go into software download mode. You will get the current national software release. Once you have done that, you can move the H20 to the SWM connection if you want and it should work fine.

#154 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:04 PM

The one they just sent already has the same firmware as my existing H20, which does work... (I want to say 407A?)

The new box will come up on occasion after a RBR or menu reboot and recognize that there's a SWM there - as it reports the SWM firmware version in the info & test menu - but shortly after that it stops recognizing that it's there and stops showing the SWM firmware version. Running sat setup again results in either multiswitch errors, hanging forever at "getting satellite data", etc.

This is also the same leg off my SWM that I had an HR21Pro hooked up to with no issues. I've also tried resetting the whole shooting match - yanking power to both boxes and the SWM, repowering the SWM, waiting a few minutes, then repowering the boxes...

Thanks for the suggestion though - the firmware was one of the first things I checked. :(

- Chip

Have you tried it on another cable run/location?

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#155 OFFLINE   HaRrrgh20!

HaRrrgh20!

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:46 PM

- Chip

That's what I was hoping. Guess it might be time for a visit to solidsignal...

#156 OFFLINE   Chip Moody

Chip Moody

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:15 PM

Well, it's far from a stretch, but I did swap it with the H20 that I've had working off the SWM8 for a few weeks. The new box still wouldn't work, and the existing one was fine.

- Chip

Have you tried it on another cable run/location?

#157 OFFLINE   Chip Moody

Chip Moody

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:17 PM

If you get a guy on the phone there that insists you need bigger splitters than you know you need, like you're planning on hooking up two DVRs to a 2-way splitter and he swears you need a 4-way, politely tell him you'd just as soon have the 2-way and believe you'll be good to go. :)

- Chip

That's what I was hoping. Guess it might be time for a visit to solidsignal...

#158 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:56 AM

Well, it's far from a stretch, but I did swap it with the H20 that I've had working off the SWM8 for a few weeks. The new box still wouldn't work, and the existing one was fine.

- Chip

For how longdid the existing one work?

I would make sure you have all RG6 cable runs to the "not working" reciever. I had this problem with an H21 and for the life of me I couldn't figure it out. It would work for a few hours/day then I would have to RBR/soft reset it.

Well come to find out, I had an RG5 cable in the wall that needed replacing and tadda, all is well with the new RG6 installed.
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#159 OFFLINE   Chip Moody

Chip Moody

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:11 PM

For how longdid the existing one work?

Pre-SWM8, I've had it since last November. When I put in the SWM8 a few weeks back, that box got connected to it and worked perfectly right off the bat.

I would make sure you have all RG6 cable runs to the "not working" reciever. I had this problem with an H21 and for the life of me I couldn't figure it out. It would work for a few hours/day then I would have to RBR/soft reset it.

Well come to find out, I had an RG5 cable in the wall that needed replacing and tadda, all is well with the new RG6 installed.

Well, there's one line coming up from the SWM8 in my basement to this room. From the wall it goes to my PI, from there to a 2-way splitter, and the splitter goes to whichever boxes I'm trying to run at the time. :)

So yes - everything running between the wall and receivers are freshly-made RG6 cables.

Got to a second tier CSR yesterday - forget what she called the department she was in - what an amazing difference dealing with her over the front-line CSRs. Wonderful person to deal with - tried all kinds of troubleshooting stuff over the phone with me - all stuff I had already done, but I humored her - and in the end she made arrangements to have a different box sent to me.

- Chip

#160 OFFLINE   thetoad30

thetoad30

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:45 PM

All,

First, thank you to those that helped me previously. I really appreciate it and it made me look good in front of the Field Tech Supervisor.

Now, for the question.

If DirecTV installs a SWM DISH, how will this run into my home? As a single line that can be split? How can it be split? Will regular satellite splitters work or do I need to get a specialized one?

Second, I was told that from the dish there will be four lines. This didn't seem right as the dish IS a SWMLine dish meaning only one line should be coming out, correct?

Finally, can this single line be diplexed in with regular cable/OTA signals? I know the SWM-8 switch could diplex the cable/OTA signals, but I was curious how this can be done AFTER the switch.

Man, I haven't had that rough of a day as I had today with all the tech support people that are misinformed. I even had a supervisor tell me that I was flat out wrong about SWM being in the mainstream and that it only went to MDUs. Then he proceeded to tell me all sorts of things that just weren't customer support like at all. Then, finally, I had a regular CSR help me get the SWM dish. I'm amazed as I almost cancelled my order after the supervisor.

Anyway, if you could all let me know what you think I would be very grateful. I just want my HD DirecTV! :(

Protected By... spam firewall...And...