Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM & SWMline general discussion

• Please log in to reply
1301 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   GP245

GP245

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:18 PM

On Thursday, received the SWMline LNB that I had ordered via ebay.

Followed the installation instructions and hints that I've seen on the Forum.

No real problems - it's doing what I had hoped - only 1 coax line coming in from my terrace, where the dish is installed, and I can now record two different shows at once.

Reason that I'm posting is that their are some strange occurrences.

First, here is my set up:

Dish > P.I. > Direct Approved 2-Way Splitter > H-21 (Bedroom) - other leg of Splitter to Diplexors > HR-21 (Living Room).

Note: Diplexors were used before the SWM - with no problems.

Here's what appears to be a bit strange to me.

The H-21's Information Menu recognizes the presence of the SWM.

But the H-21 (with only 1 Tuner and no DVR) does not display an SWM Menu showing the 9 "Transponders."

The HR-21 in the Living Room with 2 Tuners and a DVR, displays the the SWM Menu of "Transponders" but, #2 reads "0"

If I disconnect the A.C. from the Bedroom's H-21, the Living Room's SWM Menu then shows "95" for "Transponder" 2.

I've tried: re-installing, Disconnected Reveiver A.C. cords, Resets, Red Buttons, you name it - it's always the same result.

Again, everything seems to be operating the way I had wanted.

Is what I'm experiencing "normal'?

It's just bugging me.

Any professional wisdom and insight will be appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:30 PM

On Thursday, received the SWMline LNB that I had ordered via ebay.

Followed the installation instructions and hints that I've seen on the Forum.

No real problems - it's doing what I had hoped - only 1 coax line coming in from my terrace, where the dish is installed, and I can now record two different shows at once.

Reason that I'm posting is that their are some strange occurrences.

First, here is my set up:

Dish > P.I. > Direct Approved 2-Way Splitter > H-21 (Bedroom) - other leg of Splitter to Diplexors > HR-21 (Living Room).

Note: Diplexors were used before the SWM - with no problems.

Here's what appears to be a bit strange to me.

The H-21's Information Menu recognizes the presence of the SWM.

But the H-21 (with only 1 Tuner and no DVR) does not display an SWM Menu showing the 9 "Transponders."

The HR-21 in the Living Room with 2 Tuners and a DVR, displays the the SWM Menu of "Transponders" but, #2 reads "0"

If I disconnect the A.C. from the Bedroom's H-21, the Living Room's SWM Menu then shows "95" for "Transponder" 2.

I've tried: re-installing, Disconnected Reveiver A.C. cords, Resets, Red Buttons, you name it - it's always the same result.

Again, everything seems to be operating the way I had wanted.

Is what I'm experiencing "normal'?

It's just bugging me.

Any professional wisdom and insight will be appreciated.

Current software for the non recorders don't show the SWM channels in the setup screen.
"Zeros" aren't a problem. I had just one receiver connected and had all my SWM channels showing. Then connected everything up in my system and have "a few" zeros, but everything is working fine. "The zeros" have varied [as in don't really make sense] from the beginning of SWM in field testings.
A.K.A VOS

#163 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:37 PM

Now, for the question.

If DirecTV installs a SWM DISH, how will this run into my home? As a single line that can be split? How can it be split? Will regular satellite splitters work or do I need to get a specialized one?

The dish has only one cable [and output]. The splitters need to pass DC on one leg and SHOULD BE 2-2150 MHz. 5-2150 MHz have been know to work also. I'm using some of these made by Skywalker.

Second, I was told that from the dish there will be four lines. This didn't seem right as the dish IS a SWMLine dish meaning only one line should be coming out, correct?

see ^^

Finally, can this single line be diplexed in with regular cable/OTA signals? I know the SWM-8 switch could diplex the cable/OTA signals, but I was curious how this can be done AFTER the switch.

DirecTV doesn't support diplexing with SWM systems. This doesn't mean it won't work. The SWMLine LNB is simply a SWM8 incorporated into the LNB. Diplexers that work with a SWM8 "should work" fine with the SWMLine.
A.K.A VOS

#164 OFFLINE   GP245

GP245

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:08 PM

VOS -

Thank you so much, you've answered all my questions, and put things to rest.

Truly appreciated.

GP245

#165 OFFLINE   Six Demon Bag

Six Demon Bag

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:54 AM

First post. Not sure if this is where it belongs.

I'm due for an upgrade tomorrow from the old 3LNB dish and HDTiVo. My house is pre-wired so the multiswitch/manifold for the coax is located on the OUTSIDE of the house. It's not easy to fish new lines in my house so I would like to have the single line setup. I have a few questions on how to do this.

1. I was told I will get a SWMline dish and a SWM module. My understanding is that there is one dish, the 5LNB "Slimline" dish. Then you either get a SWM8 or you get the SWM ODU LNB which is the SWM8 built into the dish. This correct?

2. The power inserter will be needed for single line setup. Can this be added anywhere in the setup? I can't put it outside the house before the coax multiswitch already installed.

I have 2 rooms I need setup first. A family room which will have a HR model and a bedroom which will also have a HR model.

My idea for the setup is this and I am wondering if it will work:

5LNB "Slimline" dish > 4 lines > SWM8 installed at dish > 1 line > 4 or 8 port multiswitch at coax box > 2 lines connect at box for the family room and bedroom, 2-6 lines for future use > 1 line goes straight to bedroom receiver and 1 line goes to family room > family room line connects to power inserter and then to receiver.

Can this work? If not, how can I set this up?

Thanks for the help.

#166 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:20 AM

Six Demon Bag:
Yes, that will work. You will use a regular splitter, not multiswitch at the coax box. One port of the splitter must be power passing (the one that goes to the PI location).

Carl

#167 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:31 AM

First post. Not sure if this is where it belongs.

I'm due for an upgrade tomorrow from the old 3LNB dish and HDTiVo. My house is pre-wired so the multiswitch/manifold for the coax is located on the OUTSIDE of the house. It's not easy to fish new lines in my house so I would like to have the single line setup. I have a few questions on how to do this.

1. I was told I will get a SWMline dish and a SWM module. My understanding is that there is one dish, the 5LNB "Slimline" dish. Then you either get a SWM8 or you get the SWM ODU LNB which is the SWM8 built into the dish. This correct?

Yes, those are the two SWM options at the moment.

2. The power inserter will be needed for single line setup. Can this be added anywhere in the setup? I can't put it outside the house before the coax multiswitch already installed.

It can be anywhere with a couple of provisions. It must be installe either before the splitters or on a splitter that will allow power pass back to the SWM module. The splitter should be 2-2150MHz. There are several threads discussing splitters. There can be on receivers between the PI and the SWM module. Any IRD on the power side of the PI will be damaged. The PI must be indoors.

I have 2 rooms I need setup first. A family room which will have a HR model and a bedroom which will also have a HR model.

My idea for the setup is this and I am wondering if it will work:

5LNB "Slimline" dish > 4 lines > SWM8 installed at dish > 1 line > 4 or 8 port multiswitch at coax box > 2 lines connect at box for the family room and bedroom, 2-6 lines for future use > 1 line goes straight to bedroom receiver and 1 line goes to family room > family room line connects to power inserter and then to receiver.

Can this work? If not, how can I set this up?

Thanks for the help.

If it's the SWM8, the module will probably be indoors. If it's the SWMLine, there will only be one line coming into the house.

Welcome to DBSTalk. :)
Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#168 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:29 PM

The splitter should be 2-2150MHz. Welcome to DBSTalk. :)
Mike

Not to say you are wrong MicroBeta, but to be on the safe side I would go with a splitter that is rated up to 2300MHz (I think 5-2300 is what I have)

Just from MY experience of a 2-2150 going bad and switching to a 5-2300MHz and it working flawless.

That's my $.02 :angel:
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#169 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:35 PM

Not to say you are wrong MicroBeta, but to be on the safe side I would go with a splitter that is rated up to 2300MHz (I think 5-2300 is what I have)

Just from MY experience of a 2-2150 going bad and switching to a 5-2300MHz and it working flawless.

That's my $.02 :angel:

While I too use the Skywalker 5-2300 MHz splitters and they work fine.
"All you need is" the 2-2150 MHz band and since SWM doesn't even go over 2 GHz, "that end of the band" doesn't mean much.
A.K.A VOS

#170 OFFLINE   Six Demon Bag

Six Demon Bag

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for the replies.

So I'll need a splitter at the coax box outside. I'll try to use an 8 port I guess for future use.

The line from the splitter that connects through the house from the coax box to the family room will go to the PI. From the PI, can I go directly into the receiver? I only have 1 receiver there. Do I need something between the PI and the receiver? In the future, I can go from the PI to another splitter and then from there to multiple receivers correct?

I'm not sure what the tech will bring or what will be done. At the minimum I need the dish. If something is missing, I suppose I can just do it myself afterwards.

#171 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:37 PM

an 8-way may be a bit too much.
With a 4-way, you can feed 4 DVRs.
If you want to add non recorders, you can always add a 2-way to one of the 4-way outputs.

PI to receiver works fine.
A.K.A VOS

#172 OFFLINE   thetoad30

thetoad30

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:40 PM

VOS,

Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate it.

Question re the diplexer:

Can you tell me what I need to use? When you say one that works with SWM... would that be a regular diplexer I can get from Home Depot or Lowes or do I need something more specific?

I also picked up a 4-way splitter (5MHZ - 2300MHZ) to use in case the installer doesn't come with one for the cable box. Will this work for the SWM? I don't know if the 5MHZ is a problem or not. I know the 2300MHZ should work though.

#173 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:35 PM

VOS,

Can you tell me what I need to use? When you say one that works with SWM... would that be a regular diplexer I can get from Home Depot or Lowes or do I need something more specific?

I also picked up a 4-way splitter (5MHZ - 2300MHZ) to use in case the installer doesn't come with one for the cable box. Will this work for the SWM? I don't know if the 5MHZ is a problem or not. I know the 2300MHZ should work though.

I can't help with the diplexer, but if you search for the SWM threads, I know someone has posted diplexers that do work. "I think" they were channel master.
As for the splitter, it should work fine. I too use 5-2300 splitters. If they work down to 5 MHz, they will pass 2 MHz [maybe with some loss] since they don't fall off that much.
A.K.A VOS

#174 OFFLINE   gator1234

gator1234

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:30 PM

I had two cables coming in from outside. I have 3 HD DVRs and 2 Non HD DVRs.
Installer said one splitter would work, one line in and 8 lines out. He also used a power unit inside. Well only 4 lines in worked so we got 4 receivers working. He said to get the 5th receiver to work we would have to install a 2nd dish as the one line from dish 1 was used and he could not hook up a 2nd splitter from dish 1. He said they normally charge for the 2nd dish but he would do it for free but I could feel free to tip him. He installs a 2nd dish and a 2nd splitter and everything worked fine.

This was a move package from one location to another. I have been a Directv customer since Directv started. They did give me an additional HR22 for $99. and it was the new model (100 hrs HD). Also I did ask if I could split one of the lines coming in to serve two rooms and he said no, you could not split any lines coming from the SWM unit. I read where that is incorrect. He also said SWM would not work with my HR20 unit which was also incorrect. It worked fine.

#175 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:38 PM

I had two cables coming in from outside. I have 3 HD DVRs and 2 Non HD DVRs.
Installer said one splitter would work, one line in and 8 lines out. He also used a power unit inside. Well only 4 lines in worked so we got 4 receivers working. He said to get the 5th receiver to work we would have to install a 2nd dish as the one line from dish 1 was used and he could not hook up a 2nd splitter from dish 1. He said they normally charge for the 2nd dish but he would do it for free but I could feel free to tip him. He installs a 2nd dish and a 2nd splitter and everything worked fine.

This was a move package from one location to another. I have been a Directv customer since Directv started. They did give me an additional HR22 for $99. and it was the new model (100 hrs HD). Also I did ask if I could split one of the lines coming in to serve two rooms and he said no, you could not split any lines coming from the SWM unit. I read where that is incorrect. He also said SWM would not work with my HR20 unit which was also incorrect. It worked fine.

You are limited to only 4 DVRs per SWM. You have "one too many" to run off one SWM.
A.K.A VOS

#176 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:42 PM

I can help you with the diplexers. I used the "ideal" brand from Lowes. I hooked them up like this. SWMline --> PI---> splitter ---> use one output to diplexer hooked up my OTA and feed the output of the diplexer to my receiver. Used another diplexer to split signals and hooked up OTA and SAT. Has worked fine since testing my SWMline during the field trials.

Just remember, this is not recommended or supported by DIRECTV.

VOS,

#177 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:06 PM

Just remember, this is not recommended or supported by DIRECTV.

!Devil_lol !devil12:
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#178 OFFLINE   thetoad30

thetoad30

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:26 AM

VOS,

Thank you.

Do you have off the top of your head what the frequencies need to be for the diplexers?

I will definitely be doing more searching. I picked up some regular diplexers but I figured they wouldn't work. I was just at the store and thought I'd pick them up just in case.

Thanks!

#179 OFFLINE   thetoad30

thetoad30

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:29 AM

AleBob911,

Thank you very much. I will give the Home Depot diplexers a try as well as the one's from Lowe's first, and then order online if I can't get those working.

I think that the installer I was talking to was telling me that DTV doesn't support the diplexing because the voltages on the sats (both regular and SWM) tend to burn out the diplexers. They've stated that they receive the majority of service calls to replace diplexers and therefore they don't want to support it anymore since they would be losing money replacing these all the time.

Not sure if that's really the case, but it sounded plausible.

#180 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:24 AM

SWM voltage can be a bit higher than non SWM [SWM= 29v, Non 18v]
The SWM frequencies are 974-1790 MHz, so they fall into the same band as non-SWM, or "normal" SAT systems.
I would say "the gotcha" with diplexers is the 2.3 MHz comm signal. Diplexers will pass DC & the 22 KHz tone to the SAT leg, BUT everything else below 900 MHz goes to the OTA leg and above goes to the SAT leg. Depending on how much loss there is for the 2.3 MHz to SWM is what will make "a good diplexer". Currently I don't think any diplexers are designed to work with SWM. This is not to say that some don't work fine, but the variations within the same model splitter from one to another, can mean one will and another won't. Now, try to troubleshoot a problem when you can't go by the make/model number, and you can see why DirecTV "doesn't support" diplexing.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall