Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Phone line and receivers question?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   giant96

giant96

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:53 PM

If I do not have a phone line to connect to my 722 receiver im pretty sure I will get charged $5 extra a month correct? I will also have (2) 211 receivers w/ out lines will they charge me $5 per receiver not on the phone line? Also I am losing out on anything besides being able to order PPV? Do the upgrades for the receiver come over the phone line or through the coax? Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:22 PM

If I do not have a phone line to connect to my 722 receiver im pretty sure I will get charged $5 extra a month correct? I will also have (2) 211 receivers w/ out lines will they charge me $5 per receiver not on the phone line? Also I am losing out on anything besides being able to order PPV? Do the upgrades for the receiver come over the phone line or through the coax? Thanks

You will be charged on the 722. All dual output (not dual tuner) receivers require a phone line or broadband connection to avoid the $5/mo. fee.
Upgrades are via satellite.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:42 PM

You can also hook up your dual tuner receiver to a dsl model using the eithernet connection.

#4 OFFLINE   AlexT

AlexT

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:41 AM

You will be charged on the 722. All dual output (not dual tuner) receivers require a phone line or broadband connection to avoid the $5/mo. fee.
Upgrades are via satellite.

I have a 622 and was able to get the $5/mo fee waived upon sign-up in April '07.

I had to speak with a supervisor and then contact the CEO email account to get it resolved. But I presented the info that I did not have a home land line, and as such I should not be charged the monthly fee.

#5 OFFLINE   AlexT

AlexT

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:43 AM

You can also hook up your dual tuner receiver to a dsl model using the eithernet connection.

Are there any advantages to connecting a VIP622 to ethernet?

Can the DVR be programmed/managed remotely via the internet?

#6 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:14 AM

Are there any advantages to connecting a VIP622 to ethernet?

One advantage is that you don't need a phone line, which is why I have mine hooked up this way. I think you also have to have it to download movies using DishOnline service.

You can't do anything to the DVR remotely, unfortunately.

#7 OFFLINE   reddice

reddice

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:45 PM

I have my VIP612 hooked up using Ethernet from my cable modem. Does this mean that I don't have to have a phone line connected then?
Current Dish Network Subscriber: March 7, 2005 - Now
Current XM Radio Subscriber: November 2002 - Now
Current RoadRunner Earthlink Cable Subscriber: November 2001 - Now
I finally upgrading to HDTV.
Cats are the best pets.

#8 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:53 PM

I have my VIP612 hooked up using Ethernet from my cable modem. Does this mean that I don't have to have a phone line connected then?

yes
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#9 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:57 AM

After seeing another thread here, I am changing my answer to "in the near future".

http://www.dishonline.com/mydvr.pdf

Protected By... spam firewall...And...