Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Thank you DirecTV(?) (Rant)...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kwelling12

kwelling12

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:21 PM

...for cutting away to your own commercials and 30 seconds of black screen during the last lap of the Grand-Am race on SPEED HD. I didn't really want to watch it anyway. It was only the closest finish in series history.

Apparently there were no problems on the SD feed or on any other provider, so again, thank you.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:25 PM

...for cutting away to your own commercials and 30 seconds of black screen during the last lap of the Grand-Am race on SPEED HD. I didn't really want to watch it anyway. It was only the closest finish in series history.

Apparently there were no problems on the SD feed or on any other provider, so again, thank you.

Good thing it was only auto racing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

#3 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:52 PM

That sucks. No excuse for that, probably some technical snafu.

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

#4 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:35 AM

That sucks. No excuse for that, probably some technical snafu.

Indeed.......:)

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#5 OFFLINE   CrazyforYeshua

CrazyforYeshua

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:04 AM

Brings back Heidi/Superbowl memories....for the oldies in the crowd...

#6 OFFLINE   alv

alv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:12 AM

The Heidi game was not a superbowl

#7 OFFLINE   Tiger62

Tiger62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:16 AM

The Heidi game was not a superbowl

The oldies in the crowd won't remember that. :)

#8 OFFLINE   donkeylips

donkeylips

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:26 AM

Yeah that would suck if it happened during a sporting event.

#9 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:52 AM

Is that really called for? Not everyone has the same interests. The great thing about this board is that people are free to express opinions and report issues without fear of being ridiculed for their programming tastes. Grow up.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#10 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:29 AM

I would doubt very much that it was the providers fault and not the broadcaster.

#11 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,712 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:43 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#12 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:05 AM

Is that really called for? Not everyone has the same interests. The great thing about this board is that people are free to express opinions and report issues without fear of being ridiculed for their programming tastes. Grow up.

Very valid point, anytime this type of thing happens it is a "no excuse" event for the fans.

The Heidi Incident in Nov, 1968 was a classic event in that it was a true SNAFU. Not a Superbowl game but a regularly scheduled American Football League game, NBC had a contractual agreement with Timex to air "Heidi" in the 7-9PM time slot and the network had instructed the on site NBC supervisor to cut to Heidi whether the game was over or not. He followed his instructions which immedialtely triggered a flood of telephone calls which had the unfortunate side effect of blocking the telephone call from NBC New York exec's trying to call and tell them NOT to cut away.

The thing I have always wondered about is when these things happen, I am sure that the on site cameras didn't miss anything and they should have rectified it immediately. On-site supervisory personnel should have the authority to deal with it on the spot and let the New York studios sort the mess out later.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#13 OFFLINE   Tinymon

Tinymon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:16 AM

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games.
" Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.'' - Winston Chruchill

#14 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:16 AM

Very valid point, anytime this type of thing happens it is a "no excuse" event for the fans.

The Heidi Incident in Nov, 1968 was a classic event in that it was a true SNAFU. Not a Superbowl game but a regularly scheduled American Football League game, NBC had a contractual agreement with Timex to air "Heidi" in the 7-9PM time slot and the network had instructed the on site NBC supervisor to cut to Heidi whether the game was over or not. He followed his instructions which immedialtely triggered a flood of telephone calls which had the unfortunate side effect of blocking the telephone call from NBC New York exec's trying to call and tell them NOT to cut away.

The thing I have always wondered about is when these things happen, I am sure that the on site cameras didn't miss anything and they should have rectified it immediately. On-site supervisory personnel should have the authority to deal with it on the spot and let the New York studios sort the mess out later.

Yes, but remember the NY based control center had to make the decision on what was going out over the air...so even if they kept the cameras going the decision to go back on the network had to be made by a higher-up.

Also remember back in 1968 the AFL was not that big a deal. The early Super Bowls weren't even sellouts. If it wasn't the Jets I'd bet that few would have ever heard of the incident.

My dad and I were watching that game and I can still feel that sickness of them coming back from commercial and Heidi (Could they have picked a worse movie to interrupt a football game with?) starting to roll.

I also remember to call we had to call information on our dial phone to get the number for NBC and then dial the whole number to get busy signal after busy signal (no phone menu systems).

#15 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:31 AM

I would doubt very much that it was the providers fault and not the broadcaster.

Most likely. Just as with radio broadcasts of sporting events, when the provider wants the broadcaster to go to a local break, they "fire a trigger", which then tells the broadcaster's computer to play local commercials/promos. This was most likely a slip on SPEED HD's fault, not DirecTV's.
Nathan
setup:
- 50" Plasma 1080p HDTV (Samsung PN50A760), 46" LCD 1080p HDTV (Samsung LN-T4665F), 32" LCD 720p HDTV (Insignia). 1 Hopper, 2 Joeys.

#16 OFFLINE   Redlinetire

Redlinetire

Icon

• Registered
  • 927 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:50 AM

Most likely. Just as with radio broadcasts of sporting events, when the provider wants the broadcaster to go to a local break, they "fire a trigger", which then tells the broadcaster's computer to play local commercials/promos. This was most likely a slip on SPEED HD's fault, not DirecTV's.

But why would the HD version have the issue and not the SD?

It would seem they'd both have the same break inserts.
TiVo Series3 --> Toshiba 34HFX83 (CRT)

#17 OFFLINE   scrybigtv

scrybigtv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 307 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:55 AM

Also remember back in 1968 the AFL was not that big a deal. The early Super Bowls weren't even sellouts. If it wasn't the Jets I'd bet that few would have ever heard of the incident.

Not really true. The AFL started out as an inferior league, but by the late 1960s it was giving the NFL all the competition it could handle, and then some. Think the Super Bowl would have ever materialized if the AFL wasn't pushing the NFL in the ratings race? By 1967, there were millions of hardcore AFL fans out there. The NFL really had no choice but to merge with the fledgling league a few years later.

#18 OFFLINE   Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:45 AM

One of the most exciting race finishes ever, and D* screws it up. Way to go.
HR20--> HDMI --> Panny TH50 PX600U
HR20 --> HDMI --> 40" Sony KDL XBR3

#19 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:04 PM

Not really true. The AFL started out as an inferior league, but by the late 1960s it was giving the NFL all the competition it could handle, and then some. Think the Super Bowl would have ever materialized if the AFL wasn't pushing the NFL in the ratings race? By 1967, there were millions of hardcore AFL fans out there. The NFL really had no choice but to merge with the fledgling league a few years later.

"Millions"? Neither league was all that big back then. The NFL was bigger than the AFL, but both took a backseat to MLB.

#20 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:05 PM

It's more of a goof on those who automatically assume that it's D*'s fault. As Syphix said, the source sends a signal to let the distributor know when to air a commercial. It happens all of the time. There are many times you'll see the signal pop up when the local station is caught off guard. You'll just see the black screen with some numbers on it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...