Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Existing customer upgrade - the hardway

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BadFrog

BadFrog

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts
  • LocationNorth Oakland County Michigan

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:48 PM

Just upgraded to VIP 722 and HD programming. Geeeeeezzz .. $150 ..
So I asked .."please waive the fee" .. LOL LOL ..after a few minutes of a "Dish is the best sales pitch" I said ..Naw ..please connect me to Customer Retentions as I won't pay the $150 when Direct TV will do it all new for FREE..

PAUSE on phone ...CSR changed her hat from dumb CSR to panicy savior from Retentions...

I ended up getting a $50 bill credit along with the 3 months of HBO, Cinemax and HD Platinum for FREE and yah ..a new 24 month contract ..big deal, I have had them for over 10 years.

When yah do the math ..I upgraded and gained $38.94 on the deal Good Grief !!!

Yah ..we can twist this 20 different ways .. find holes in the deal ..but that's not my point. All I wanted was a clean upgrade to HD and have Dish say "Thank You for being a long term valued customer and Ohhhh have we got a deal for you .. IT"S FREE " .. !!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ashh

Ashh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:55 PM

Dish is so easy to get just about anything you want. I am a technician and I always see credits on the back of work orders just cause the customer spoke up about fees.

#3 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:45 PM

Glad it all worked out for you.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#4 OFFLINE   cg7879

cg7879

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:28 AM

Geeeeeeeez....Another person crying about upgrade fees. No pay TV provider gives equipment away for nothing. Period. There's always costs somewhere. When you originally signed up, you probably got free stuff too. Let's consider for a moment what that $150 gets you. 1)a new dish or 2nd dish depending on circumstances. There's $100-$300 in equipment. 2) installation of said equipment including cabling, wall fishes, etc. Labor is supposed to be $59 an hour. Figure 2 hours for the install. There's another $118. 3)An award-winning HD DVR that will run 2 TVs. If you had to buy the equipment, it would be $300 for the 2nd DVR. The premium channel offers are for all customers right now, except it's Starz. Same with the 3 months of HD platinum. I understand your point. All I'm saying is consider what you're getting for your money.

#5 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:51 AM

The point of the matter is that D* is giving away HR21's now, that is going to interest people. Besides, E* got off cheap, they would have offered an even better deal if he had actually scheduled with D*.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#6 OFFLINE   Rebollos

Rebollos

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:29 AM

Geeeeeeeez....Another person crying about upgrade fees. No pay TV provider gives equipment away for nothing. Period. There's always costs somewhere. When you originally signed up, you probably got free stuff too. Let's consider for a moment what that $150 gets you. 1)a new dish or 2nd dish depending on circumstances. There's $100-$300 in equipment. 2) installation of said equipment including cabling, wall fishes, etc. Labor is supposed to be $59 an hour. Figure 2 hours for the install. There's another $118. 3)An award-winning HD DVR that will run 2 TVs. If you had to buy the equipment, it would be $300 for the 2nd DVR. The premium channel offers are for all customers right now, except it's Starz. Same with the 3 months of HD platinum. I understand your point. All I'm saying is consider what you're getting for your money.

I have Dish since February of 1996, my final price was $676, I still have the invoice. No discounts, no free stuff. NOTHING

#7 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:48 AM

I have Dish since February of 1996, my final price was $676, I still have the invoice. No discounts, no free stuff. NOTHING

Yeah, I've had them since 1999 - I think my bill was roughly $400. I have no regrets, but the pricing/upgrade model has changed with time. Now there are more frequent price increases, but it's still a better deal than cable in my area.

#8 OFFLINE   TvilleBee

TvilleBee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:51 AM

Yeah, I've had them since 1999 - I think my bill was roughly $400. I have no regrets, but the pricing/upgrade model has changed with time. Now there are more frequent price increases, but it's still a better deal than cable in my area.

Anybody consider the more frequent price increases are due to all the free stuff they give away? :)

#9 OFFLINE   grog

grog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:21 AM

I don't know..

What I do know is the price goes up.. Channels I wanted to watch are taken away 'Voom', MLB, GolTV....

Sure we are getting more channels.. but they do not add value to me personally.

So I get less and pay more!

Anybody consider the more frequent price increases are due to all the free stuff they give away? :)

Philips 47" 1080p LCD HDTV 47pfl7422d/37
Philips 42" 1080p LCD HDTV 42pfl3704D
Magnavox 32" 720p LCD HDTV 32MF338B/27
Magnavox 720p 19" LCD
2x DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (HR24-200 with 1TB ESATA via Thermaltake BlacX external dock), 2x DIRECTV® HD Receiver (H24-200), 1 DIRECTV® Slimline Dish, MRV with Deca CINEMAplus

#10 OFFLINE   BadFrog

BadFrog

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:30 AM

For CG7879

ROFLMAO - I bet you collect your pay check from Dish Network ..Nice sales pitch !
No cigar .. It's called competition for both new and "existing customers".!!
And as an existing customer ..I expect my butt to be kissed !!

#11 OFFLINE   BadFrog

BadFrog

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

Naw ...IMHO ... the frequent price increases is that they "know they have cable beat" !! ..My only defense against them at contract renewal time is ask for the moon or go to the competition..

#12 OFFLINE   flatus

flatus

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:39 AM

Had them since 1998, purchased all receivers, dishes, lnbs/switches and did the install myself.

#13 OFFLINE   TvilleBee

TvilleBee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:46 AM

Naw ...IMHO ... the frequent price increases is that they "know they have cable beat" !! ..My only defense against them at contract renewal time is ask for the moon or go to the competition..

& I thought I was the only one that actually types "naw", seriously, used it in a text msg to my wife last night :)

#14 OFFLINE   TvilleBee

TvilleBee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:48 AM

Had them since 1998, purchased all receivers, dishes, lnbs/switches and did the install myself.

Been w/ them since about 2003 when my 4DTV took a lightning hit & did the same all except the super dish... the upgrade program wouldn't let me install it myself...

#15 OFFLINE   BadFrog

BadFrog

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:52 PM

& I thought I was the only one that actually types "naw", seriously, used it in a text msg to my wife last night :)

Naw ..been using that term forever ...LOL:lol:

#16 OFFLINE   cg7879

cg7879

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:53 AM

For CG7879

ROFLMAO - I bet you collect your pay check from Dish Network ..Nice sales pitch !
No cigar .. It's called competition for both new and "existing customers".!!
And as an existing customer ..I expect my butt to be kissed !!

Gee did I make it THAT obvious? Seriously though. I wasn't trying to make a sales pitch. Just trying to make a point. Guess I made it a little too subtle. Ehhh....whatever. Think what you will.

#17 OFFLINE   jayn_j

jayn_j

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:08 AM

If you don't negotiate as a customer, you are leaving money on the table. E* has these promotions and costs factored in to the monthly bill and by not asking, you are just giving them additional profit.

Hey, I was a DISH customer from 1997 until last October. I paid for all my equipment as well, but I recall that there was a programming rebate offered that lowered my bill for the first year. I have purchased upgrade receivers (4900, 508, 622), but have had them come out and do a 'free' dish 1000 install.

I think that reasonable discounts to reward long standing customers are fair. They help reduce churn, thus making it a good deal for E* as well. I am currently stuck with cable as I am renting and tall trees block my view to the south, but when I return later this year, I will ask for promotional consideration in return for a contract.

#18 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:36 PM

Upgrade fee for LEASED equipment?? I would cry too! Cable wouldn't charge me for a new dvr if I wanted one, why would dish?:nono2:
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#19 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:54 AM

Upgrade fee for LEASED equipment?? I would cry too! Cable wouldn't charge me for a new dvr if I wanted one, why would dish?:nono2:

:lol: You really think cable isn't charging you for a new DVR?! :lol: Well they are, and they're charging you everytime your neighbor gets a new DVR and every other subscriber in their network. You're getting charged via the monthly bill. It's two different billing methods. Cable tends to spread out costs among all it's subscribers for things like upgrades, service calls and such which in general leads to higher monthly bills for everyone. With satellite the monthly bill for similiar services is usually cheaper but the individual absorbs more of the costs for updgrades and service on their system. Actually seems fair to me, you want more, you pay more, don't make me subsidize as much of the cost for your upgrades.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#20 OFFLINE   uconndude

uconndude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:04 PM

Nothing asked - nothing gained.
It is worth a try always - in my book
Though I do like the flexibility that comes without a contract - don't feel bound

If you don't negotiate as a customer, you are leaving money on the table. E* has these promotions and costs factored in to the monthly bill and by not asking, you are just giving them additional profit.

Hey, I was a DISH customer from 1997 until last October. I paid for all my equipment as well, but I recall that there was a programming rebate offered that lowered my bill for the first year. I have purchased upgrade receivers (4900, 508, 622), but have had them come out and do a 'free' dish 1000 install.

I think that reasonable discounts to reward long standing customers are fair. They help reduce churn, thus making it a good deal for E* as well. I am currently stuck with cable as I am renting and tall trees block my view to the south, but when I return later this year, I will ask for promotional consideration in return for a contract.

spam firewall