Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Expected costs?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mattmill

mattmill

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:47 AM

In the long run, try and get a Slimeline 3 dish if you have LOS to 99/101/103, but not LOS to 119. you won't have your sd locals off of 119 anyway, and the slimeline 3 will work better as far as getting the guide data off of 101 all the time instead of sometimes looking for it on 119 with the slimline 5. Slimline 3's should be available from retailers like solidsignal in a month or so.

Another option for you is to for you to consider DISH's new eastern arc service. I don't think Portland, ME is one of the initial launch markets on 8/20, but I would think it would be available soon enough as I see Portland Maine's HD locals are already on 61.5W. Your DISH look angle to the new DISH service would be pretty much due south with a 33 degree elevation versus SW and a 25 degree elevation for 99/101/103 and DirecTV.

The Eastern Arc service is launching this month and will have ALL of their core programming (non ethnic/latino) and sd locals for eastern markets available off of sats at 61.5w, 72.7w, and 77w using a new 1000.4 dish and all mpeg-4 equipment This mirrors their 110/119 services and is meant for eastern markets. This should greatly improve LOS for markets like Maine, much less Georgia where I live. check out the dish forum if interested.

Thanks, Dish's Easern arc would be worse for me in terms of trees. I live on an inside corner of the street and to my left (east) it three heavy wooded pine lots most trees are in the 80+ foot range.

I just got a quote for trimming the offending tree and it's pretty cheap since it's a small job. So I think I am going that route next week. Just have to schedule the time for meeting the tree guy, he want's me home while he works so he gets all the branches I want on the first try. This photo is all that needs to be trimmed, it just happens to be 30' off the ground and overhanging the service lines to the house and directly over my existing 101 dish.

I hope I can reschedule the D* installers the last week of Aug since I am on vacation and hanging out at home all week. I am getting to be like a kid in a candy store. I usually don't get this way about things but after watching NBC OTA in HD for the Olympics I really want it all :D

matt

Attached Thumbnails

• photo.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

spam firewall