Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Switching an external drive from my 622 to a new 722?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jeffnebraska

jeffnebraska

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:39 PM

Will I have any trouble switching drives? Will it connect to the new unit with all my movies intact?

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:48 PM

You should not have any trouble. It should connect to the new unit after it is activated and receives your household key.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   jeffnebraska

jeffnebraska

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 02:45 PM

You should not have any trouble. It should connect to the new unit after it is activated and receives your household key.

Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:52 PM

I would verify that the Household Keys match before you connect the EHD.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#5 OFFLINE   ryan8886

ryan8886

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:31 PM

I would verify that the Household Keys match before you connect the EHD.

Can you expand on that a little bit?? I have also have a 722 coming to replace my 622. Should I not hook up the EHD while I'm setting everything else up intially? How do I verify the household keys match?
Ryan

JVC AV-56WP74 CRT-RPTV
Dish ViP 722 HD-DVR
Oppo DV-981HD
Logitech Harmony 880
Harman Kardon AVR 330
Emotiva LPA-1 Amplifier
Fronts: Athena AS-F2.2
Center: Athena AS-C1.2
Surround: Athena AS-B1.2
Subwoofer: SVS 25-31PCi

#6 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 12:11 PM

You do not want to hook up the EHD until after the Household keys have been changed to match. Otherwise you could end up using two moves up. One to the new box before the keys are changed and again when they have changed.

As I understand it the keys are changed at some point by being sent from E*.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#7 OFFLINE   jeffnebraska

jeffnebraska

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:57 PM

How does one know when the household keys have been changed? If it is installed and working, is that enough?

Also, what do you mean by "using two moves up?" Are we only allowed a finite number of moves per external drive?

#8 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:25 PM

At one time you were only allowed 3 moves. But that was changed when they implemented the Household key. With that key you are not limited moving your EHD between two VIP DVRs.

You can see your household key through your diagnostic screen and once they set it I don't think it ever changes. Changing it I think would cause the EHD not to work with the receiver since it is married to the Key I believe.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#9 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:39 PM

I recently swapped out a receiver and the new receiver did not like the EHD I was using with the old receiver (the new household key was all zero) so I had Dish send a hit to the receiver to correct it. After the hit the HHK was different than the original reciever so I expected a problem. However, when I connected the EHD it worked fine. There must be more to it than a simple key compare for equal.

So, I would not worry about the HHK at all. If the EHD does not work with a new receiver, don't format the EHD. Call Dish and get them to send a hit to repair the EHD and it should work. Let Dish worry about the details.
Dish 1000
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#10 OFFLINE   jeffnebraska

jeffnebraska

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:39 PM

So that's the rub.

I will be moving my EHD from my 622 to my 722, but also keeping my 622 (in my bedroom).

I guess that means I need them to change my household key from my 622 over to my new 722 before hooking up the external drive? Can I do that by calling tech support?

#11 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:43 PM

The HHK is assigned to the account. All receivers on the same account can share the same EHD(s).

Connect it and try and use it. If the receiver does not like it, call Dish and tell them. They can send a "hit" to sync the HHK on your receivers. If asked to format the EHD, DON'T.
Dish 1000
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#12 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:44 PM

As Ron said household keys don't change. They are assigned on the account and will be the same even if a 622 or 722 receiver is changed out.

The exact procedure to see what the household key is as follows: Menu, 6, 3, counters, select and then press page down 6 times. The Household Key will be counter 08 on that page.
Bill R

#13 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:30 PM

I recently swapped out a receiver and the new receiver did not like the EHD I was using with the old receiver (the new household key was all zero) so I had Dish send a hit to the receiver to correct it. After the hit the HHK was different than the original reciever so I expected a problem. However, when I connected the EHD it worked fine. There must be more to it than a simple key compare for equal.

I just had similar results on a new 722. The household key on the new one was 0 the old one was set. After a call to Dish and an update both had a HHK but it was not the same as the old one. I was worried but it turned to be a non-issue. The hard drive is working fine with both receivers.

Like others have stated, feel free to try connecting the drive but if it prompts you for a format because the drive is setup for another receiver don't do it. If things are setup correctly the only thing you should see when you plug it in is a pop-up asking if you'd like to manage the contents of the drive.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#14 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:16 PM

I have a 622 I've been using an EHD with for a year; recently added a 722 to the stable, and the HDD works perfectly with it, displaying programs I'd recorded on the 622.

Note, the 722 was updated with the same household key the day it was installed, so I would think that should happen immediately.

spam firewall