Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Altoona/Johnstown locals-HD

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:35 AM

Looks like DirecTV is now feeding WPSU and WKBS in 720p. I noticed this after midnight on Sunday morning. I haven't yet seen any HD content, but will be checking out WPSU in primetime tomorrow night, at least, to see if they feed PBS HD. Both stations were running local programming at the time. The aspect ratio appeared to be Stretch-O-Vision, even after switching on 'Native' on my HR20.

I wouldn't expect WKBS to be feeding any HD anytime soon.

Now all this leaves in 480p is WPCW.

I just checked this out on my TV and found that both WPSU and WKBS are still 480i.

You should double check your settings. Even if you had it on Native mode, if you didn't have 480i and 480p checked as available resolutions, it would upconvert.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   Philmo

Philmo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:56 AM

I have 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p checked as the available resolutions in my HR20. Any 480i signal is upconverted to 480p (My Samsung tv will not accept 480i through HDMI). These channels are showing as 720p with Native on.

DirecTV has 480i duplicates for these channels. Are you tuning to these and not the digital versions of these channels? Set your favorites to "All Channels" and look again.

#183 OFFLINE   Malibu13

Malibu13

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:37 AM

Issues with your HD LILS should be posted here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ghlight=altoona

#184 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,402 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

I have 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p checked as the available resolutions in my HR20. Any 480i signal is upconverted to 480p (My Samsung tv will not accept 480i through HDMI). These channels are showing as 720p with Native on.

DirecTV has 480i duplicates for these channels. Are you tuning to these and not the digital versions of these channels? Set your favorites to "All Channels" and look again.

This is a case of the HR20-700 falsely reporting the actual resolution. My HR21-200's both report the resolution correctly as 480i.
Note to Donny Bird: WPSU is not an HD local, although it is being shown as such on certain receivers.

Edited by FHSPSU67, 16 March 2009 - 10:50 AM.

Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#185 OFFLINE   Philmo

Philmo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

This is a case of the HR20-700 falsely reporting the actual resolution. My HR21-200's both report the resolution correctly as 480i.

That is indeed the problem. I rolled back to the current national firmware release for the HR20 and now both channels are in 480. So it was an issue with my HR20-100 all along in that it was misreporting two channels (but still not WPCW). I apologize for any misunderstandings and I thank you for your help.

#186 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,402 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:36 AM

That is indeed the problem. I rolled back to the current national firmware release for the HR20 and now both channels are in 480. So it was an issue with my HR20-100 all along in that it was misreporting two channels (but still not WPCW). I apologize for any misunderstandings and I thank you for your help.

Certainly no apology necessary. I would have been just as confused (and was for awhile) if I had only the HR20-700.
Fred

#187 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:40 AM

I don't know for sure, but I suspect it has something to do with the fact that those two channels are MPEG4.

#188 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,402 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:54 AM

You're probably right on that, as well as the Brrrripp problem on actual HD locals. Had just recorded a Frank Patterson : God Bless America fund raiser last thursday on WPSU Ch 3 and it was unwatchable due to the Brrrips and losses of audio synch.
Fred

#189 OFFLINE   DeanPSUpa

DeanPSUpa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:21 PM

WJAC-TV News is now in HD!!!! Wow, we finally are taking a step into the 21st century in this market! lol

spam firewall