Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

video wiring and satellite signal amplification

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   arleyg

arleyg

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:47 PM

A few years back I had my 100+ year old house rewired. While doing so I had the electrician pull two runs of RG6 to each room where I might ever want a TV, and had them all originating from one wiring closet. (He also pulled Cat5e everywhere as well.)

The idea was that I would eventually get around to getting a satellite system and could distribute it all from one central spot, and any changes in the function of a given room could be made without too much effort. The RG6 was Belkin, whatever the type was that was sweep tested for HDTV signals. This Christmas my present to myself and the wife will be a nice HDTV and a dish. Whether it's DirecTV or Dish, I haven't yet decided.

The only acceptable spot for the satellite dish is about 130 feet from the closet, and then some of the runs through the house would add as much as another 30 to 50 feet to the receiver.

Question: can I put in a distribution amplifier (such as a Spaun) in this closet to boost the signal and to select where the signal goes? I asked this of the local Dish Network installer, and he said absolutely not, that it wouldn't work. He could hook up the lead-in cables with barrel connectors, but no amplifier could be in the signal path.

Further question: can such an amplifier/multiswitch be used with DirecTV? If it can, and the Dish guy was correct, that might make my decision for me and I'd go with DirecTV. On the other hand, if the Dish guy was incorrect, maybe I oughta find another Dish guy...

Any and all advice is appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:13 PM

I think if you re-post your question under DIRECTV installation you'll get your answer. A lot of very knowledgeable Direct TV installers hang out there and I've seen your situation addressed before. I just don't know or remember their answers.

Good luck!

P.S. - Your RG-6 is probably made by Belden, not Belkin.

#3 OFFLINE   arleyg

arleyg

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:39 AM

Scott--you're right. It's Belden 1694A 'Brilliance'.

Thanks for the tip; I'll go snoop around the DirecTV forums.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...