Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Primeval" on BBC America..

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:55 PM

On Saturday August 9th, BBCA premiered a new show called "Primeval". This show apparently has, in typical BBC fashion 2 "seasons" totaling 13 episodes that have aired in the UK.

The show's premise is that "time distortions" have opened across the English countryside allowing the occaisional prehistoric creature to wander through to modern times.

The show's first episode was pretty good, at least an interesting change from everything else on right now, and though the special effects aren't exactly Spielberg, they aren't bad. The cast has done a credible job and it was worth the hour.

It airs original episodes on Saturday night at 9PM ET, with repeat showings during the week.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,264 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:38 PM

I added it as an SL before the season began. It originally aired in the UK in April 2007. I haven't checked to see if they are still airing it or not or if this is going to be a 1 season quitter.

I thought the pilot was pretty good and hope that with most shows that it will get better as the show moves along as it does have a lot of potential. There were some odd parts that didn't quite mesh well, but overall it worked.

The wife even kept looking up at the TV and finally at the end told me not to delete the episode as she wanted to watch it. That doesn't happen often to the shows I watch.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:18 PM

very good show for the ScFi buff.
DBSTalk Chat Room Moderator

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,433 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:05 AM

Primeval is an enjoyable show mostly . It's an ITV show and the website indicates there will be a series three. The thing I enjoy about it is the creatures which the web site talks about. The little flying guy in the pilot:

Coelurosauravus (a.k.a. "Rex")
Origin: Exotic rainforest, Permian period - c. 250million years ago.
Size: Can fit in a large handbag.
Weight: 15kg
Distinguishing features: Coelurosauravus has a rather useful pair of wings, making it capable of soaring gracefully through the sky (and when necessary, performing daring evasive manoeuvres). It is also a very communicative animal - using a cute clicking sound to get it's point across. Coelurosauravus also has shimmering green scales which provide the perfect disguise for a woodland environment. Although it can make itself at home in any environment, from exotic rainforests to modern London apartments. The first known vertebrate flyer as he predates the pterosaurs.

It is from a real fossil. Look it up. Interesting rendering in the show.

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:24 PM

I thought the pilot was terrible, but the show got much better as it moved to the end of the first season (ep 6). Then season 2 (ep 7-13) changed some things that made it not as enjoyable as the end of the first season. All in all, though, not a bad show. I'm looking forward to see what they do in season 3 next year.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#6 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:51 PM

I will check it out. I just hope this one does not have any uncomfortable kissing scenes like another BBC scifi show.

#7 OFFLINE   frederic1943

frederic1943

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:29 PM

I will check it out. I just hope this one does not have any uncomfortable kissing scenes like another BBC scifi show.

No kissing but there is some lizard cuddling.:D
37" Olevia LT37HVS HDTV with HR21-100 connected with HDMI and HR20-700 connected with Component
And
37" Hannspree Nara HDTV with HR21-100 connected with Component

#8 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:27 PM

Why is the video so crappy? I know it is SD, but Torchwood seems to have overcome the Barbara Walters fuzzy that is SD.

#9 OFFLINE   frederic1943

frederic1943

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:44 AM

Why is the video so crappy? I know it is SD, but Torchwood seems to have overcome the Barbara Walters fuzzy that is SD.

Torchwood is done in HD at 1080i. It may be that Primeval is done in EDTV at 576i like Doctor Who.
37" Olevia LT37HVS HDTV with HR21-100 connected with HDMI and HR20-700 connected with Component
And
37" Hannspree Nara HDTV with HR21-100 connected with Component

#10 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,206 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:12 AM

I like Primeval - but if there's much more "I'm going back in to face the monster without grabbing so much as a helmet from the Special Forces van behind me" it's going to lose me.

#11 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,289 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:45 AM

Torchwood is done in HD at 1080i. It may be that Primeval is done in EDTV at 576i like Doctor Who.

There is no broadcast standard called 'ED'.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#12 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,264 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:00 AM

Recording Note:

If using DirecTV, you might want to set it up to Record Both instead of just First Run. Although the premiere recorded with the setup as First Run (most likely since that was the episode I selected to create the SL), DirecTV DVR's are not seeing the series as First Run and it did not record the second episode for me. I have to wait till this weekend for the repeat before the third episode.

This might have to do with the fact that the First Run date listed on the episodes is April 2007, which is when it orignally aired in the UK.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#13 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 611 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:50 PM

Although the CG is, well terrible, it still isn't a bad show. I do get annoyed by the stupidity in some scenes though but almost every show has that. During the last episode, either 2 or 3, they commented during the commercials that they are trying not to just go in and kill everything since it could effect the evolution of the planet. I think the arch storyline might be good since it sounds like someone or something in the future is causing these distortions.

#14 OFFLINE   techdimwit

techdimwit

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:39 PM

Being an HD snob, I've begun shunning the bad PQ on BBCA. I prefer to wait for the DVD's which is what I've done with MI-5 (Spooks) and Robin Hood. Probably will with this one too. Not to mention the fact that BBCA butchers their shows for viewing in the US as they have to accommodate commercials. Can't take it.

#15 OFFLINE   IndyMichael

IndyMichael

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 926 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:01 PM

Hannah Spearritt is reason enough to watch. ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...