Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is it ok to have a combined diplexed line going into an D* receiver?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stephens24

Stephens24

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:03 PM

Sorry For all the questions but I just got setup today and am now doing my own tweaking.

I unplugged everything and used a channel master 4002 to diplex the signal I hooked up my HDDVR with AM21 with the 4001 and got everything working. Then I realized I dont have any more RG6 cable to diplex out my other two standard receivers. If I just plug in the original cable like normal it will have both SAT and OTA on it, is it still ok to plug into the receiver? Or should I make a trip to Wally world real quick?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:51 PM

"I think" the worst that could happen is the OTA would bounce back giving you a distortion, but nothing to the receiver, since it starts at 950 MHz [above OTA]
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:59 PM

Since we're talking HD DVR+ (HR2x is the preferred term) and AM21, an improperly placed diplexer may well create some more serious issues.

What kind of dish/multiswitch setup do you have?

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:09 PM

"I think" the worst that could happen is the OTA would bounce back giving you a distortion, but nothing to the receiver, since it starts at 950 MHz [above OTA]

The WB68 stack plan places Ka Lo at 250MHz to 750MHz which would be trashed by a diplexer if you insert it on the dish side side of the BBC.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:17 PM

The WB68 stack plan places Ka Lo at 250MHz to 750MHz which would be trashed by a diplexer if you insert it on the dish side side of the BBC.

You are correct, BUT "I think" this [from another thread] is a SWM system.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   Teronzhul

Teronzhul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:36 PM

Then I realized I dont have any more RG6 cable to diplex out my other two standard receivers.

Guys, he got the HD-DVR hooked up already, and he is just asking about the 2 standard boxes. Whether they're on an SWM or not, it will make no difference if he just hooks them up sans diplexers. They will be fine.
HR23-700 on Vizio 42glf +swmlnb to 3 D12-700

#7 OFFLINE   Stephens24

Stephens24

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:04 PM

Ok next question (Ill stop making threads) I went to the store really quick and got more coax.

What am I doing wrong to try to access my local channel (I only get 1 NBC) from the standard boxes on a analog TV? I have it diplexed into the D12 both the SAT singal and the OTA inputs. Then I am using RCA's on the output to my TV. I cant figure out how to get my locals to work. Ive tried different inputs and changing channels on the TV itself with no luck any ideas?

#8 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,438 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:08 PM

Ok next question (Ill stop making threads) I went to the store really quick and got more coax.

What am I doing wrong to try to access my local channel (I only get 1 NBC) from the standard boxes on a analog TV? I have it diplexed into the D12 both the SAT singal and the OTA inputs. Then I am using RCA's on the output to my TV. I cant figure out how to get my locals to work. Ive tried different inputs and changing channels on the TV itself with no luck any ideas?

Only Digital ATSC signals on AM-21.
What are you expecting??
No analog!!

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#9 OFFLINE   Stephens24

Stephens24

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:15 PM

Only Digital ATSC signals on AM-21.
What are you expecting??
No analog!!

Doctor j

For some reason I thought since the D12 had an off air input I would put the antenna feed in there, but are you saying I just need to go straight into the analog TV with it?

#10 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:24 PM

For some reason I thought since the D12 had an off air input I would put the antenna feed in there, but are you saying I just need to go straight into the analog TV with it?

That OTA port is a simple passthrough. It does not have a tuner in it.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#11 OFFLINE   Stephens24

Stephens24

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

Ok dumb question.....ATSC OTA and analog OTA are 2 different things arent they?

#12 OFFLINE   Stephens24

Stephens24

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:33 PM

Ok I think I got it I was under the impression that the OTA signal I was getting was the old school analog. So I have to get a converter box. I just signed up and they said it wont mail until Sept 5th :(

#13 OFFLINE   Stephens24

Stephens24

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:44 PM

Wait old school rabbit ears on my 2 analog TV would work until I got the converter boxes wouldnt it? Im talking to myself arent I haha!

#14 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,007 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:09 PM

Assuming your television set has an analog tuner, you can connect the antenna directly to it, and be able to tune all of the analog stations. If it has a digital (ATSC) tuner, you can connect the antenna directly to it, and be able to tune the digital stations.

With a D12 receiver, if you connect the antenna input to the coax input on the D12, and you connect the coax output of the D12 to your TV set (on channel 3 or 4), then when you turn the D12 off that signal is passed through to your TV set, and it's tuner would be able to tune the applicable analog or digital channels.

With just analog tuners in your tv sets, you should still be able to receive the analog tv signals over the air for awhile yet (until next Feb most likely). Once they go to digital transmission, then you will need a converter for the OTA signals.

However, you will not need a converter for DirecTV programming, that is totally separate and different from the digital OTA conversion.

Carl

#15 OFFLINE   Teronzhul

Teronzhul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:33 PM

What carl (and robert) said.

For additional clarification. The D12 Off Air input is just a pass through so that your tvs internal tuner can use it. For it to function going through the box, your D12 must be connected via RF, not via the RCA outputs. Connected this way allows you to turn off the D12, and then use the TVs internal tuner to tune the antenna signals.

If you wish to use the RCA outputs from the D12, and still have the antenna available, you'll want to take the diplexer output straight into the tv. This of course requires swapping inputs on the television when you wish to go from Directv to Ant and vise versa.
HR23-700 on Vizio 42glf +swmlnb to 3 D12-700

Protected By... spam firewall...And...