Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Compression tool help

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:19 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I have a few "technique" issues to deal with. I'll play around with it some more tonight and see what happens.

I bought the same compression tool a few weeks ago. Used the following instructions from Sadoun's site, and everything worked great.

Step By Step Correct Connector Installation Procedure

:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:23 AM

If you don't fold the braid back by hand before you slide the connector on, you're asking for trouble, IMO.

Really, I did not know that, but I see that the instructions linked to also show that. I guess I will start doing it differently, though I have not had any issues so far.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#23 OFFLINE   JoeF

JoeF

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:05 PM

Just as a follow up, I figured out what the problem was with the compression tool.

Somehow, I inadvertently compressed the connector I was using to "experiment" with. Naturally, since it was already comprssed, nothing happened when I put it in the compression tool.

Works great now.

#24 OFFLINE   2dogz

2dogz

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:53 PM

Just as a follow up, I figured out what the problem was with the compression tool.

Somehow, I inadvertently compressed the connector I was using to "experiment" with. Naturally, since it was already comprssed, nothing happened when I put it in the compression tool.

Works great now.

Hate it when that happens. :)

Directv since 1997
2x HR21-100 2x HR22-100 1x HR20-700R
Sony Sat T60 Tivo Still Truckin'
AU9 WB616 OTA: Channel Master CM4221

#25 OFFLINE   techrep

techrep

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:38 PM

Knowledge is power. You now have the power.
DVR: HR20-100, HR10-250 x 2, TIVO SERIES 3, MOXI
REC: DENON 3808CI
TV : PDP-5060HD
DVD: PANY-BD10A, TOSHIBA-A2

#26 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:43 PM

once you compress those things they are next to impossible to undo..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#27 OFFLINE   Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:04 PM

Really, I did not know that, but I see that the instructions linked to also show that. I guess I will start doing it differently, though I have not had any issues so far.

Think of coax cable as any other type of electrical line.
Copper center conductor = positive
Braid/Foil = neutral

The connector you put on has to have good contact with the copper and the braid in order to work properly.

.....just don't get a strand of braid wrapped around the stinger (copper)

spam firewall