Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mounting a Dish on a Trailer?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RonH

RonH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:16 AM

I haver purchased a Box trailer that I am converting to make it into a Tailgate Party Trailer. I am wanting to mount a bracket on the roof so that when I stop and setup tailgate I can just go to the roof and slide on my Dish and set it to the satellites. I am concerned about make sure the Dish is "plumb" so I can get a signal.I am looking at the wall mount shown in below link.. I would mount the wall mount on my trailer roof with a J pipe attached to the actual TV base mounting area. When I parked the trailer I could slide the dish on the J pipe and then I could "tilt" the base to level Dish if needed? I would think since the dish doesn't weigh much that any LCD wall arm would be stable enough to hold the dish in place. I know the base of the mount wouldn't tilt a huge amount but the trailer should be fairly level no matter where I park and I would just need a few degrees of tilt toward the Front/Back and Left/Right. What do you guys think?

http://www.beachaudi...CFQ9KQgodq37rgw

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:40 AM

What dish would you be using. Plumb is important but I wouldn't loose my head over it, especially with SD only dishes.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#3 OFFLINE   RonH

RonH

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

What dish would you be using. Plumb is important but I wouldn't loose my head over it, especially with SD only dishes.

The last 3 years we have used the 3 LNB dish on a Tripod but I have changed the receiver that I use from my home from the old D10 to a new H21. I guess I could still use the old 3 LNB dish but I wouldn't get any of the New MPEG4 channels while tailgating(not sure if I need any new MPEG4s there) so I might need to get a new Slimline 5 LNB dish for the Trailer.

#4 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:52 PM

Just mount the 5lnb to your tripod.. either make up an adapter or have someone weld a piece or 2"OD pipe to it..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#5 OFFLINE   RonH

RonH

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:47 PM

Just mount the 5lnb to your tripod.. either make up an adapter or have someone weld a piece or 2"OD pipe to it..

I want to eliminate the use of the Tripod that is why I am trying to figure out a way to mount something on roof of the trailer like you have a mount on the roof of your house that is permanently in place. Since the trailer maybe parked at different locations at different times for tailgating I need some mount that has some capability for adjustments.

#6 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,424 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:56 PM

Tripod is your friend!!
Short of a $1500.00 to $1800.00 automated mount you're going to have problems with plumb in most of the tailgate settings i'm familiar with.

http://www.solidsign...sp?PROD=SK-3005

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#7 OFFLINE   deboxer1

deboxer1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:27 PM

It all depends on which dish you plan to use. As long as you can get a flat mounting surface that will support the foot of the dish ( figure at least 6 bolts for a kaku, plus 4 more for the monopoles) you could use the standard j mount. Have a 1/2" or 13mm wrench and a magnetic level to get it plumb and level. Can you post a photo of the trailer.

#8 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:35 PM

biggest problem with it on your trailer is if the trailer shakes at all the signal will dropout..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#9 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:52 PM

For a rock-solid signal lock with an unstable object such as
a trailer, get a KVH phased array -- it'll even work on a boat.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,918 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:10 PM

Kvh = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

#11 OFFLINE   RonH

RonH

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:35 PM

It all depends on which dish you plan to use. As long as you can get a flat mounting surface that will support the foot of the dish ( figure at least 6 bolts for a kaku, plus 4 more for the monopoles) you could use the standard j mount. Have a 1/2" or 13mm wrench and a magnetic level to get it plumb and level. Can you post a photo of the trailer.

The trailer is parked at a friend's house. I'll get a picture and get it posted.

#12 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:38 PM

Kvh = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Not so much...it's more like $,$$$, but for anyone who can afford a tricked-out
tail-gate trailer, the $,$$$ shouldn't be a problem. It's all about spending your
extra bucks on what's important to you.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#13 OFFLINE   RonH

RonH

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:59 PM

Here are Pictures. Note the Picture of roof shows a Pole in the background it isn't on the trailer.

http://i103.photobuc...4/trailer-5.jpg

http://i103.photobuc...4/trailer-6.jpg

http://i103.photobuc...54/Trailer1.jpg

http://i103.photobuc...4/trailer-4.jpg

#14 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:11 PM

Nice rig, Ron. Now just trick it out, add your team colors,
top it off with a low-profile KVH and you're good to go!

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#15 OFFLINE   RonH

RonH

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:24 PM

Nice rig, Ron. Now just trick it out, add your team colors,
top it off with a low-profile KVH and you're good to go!

I would love to have the KVH but the Trailer only cost $1800 and we have added a Laminate Floor,Tile Side Boards on wall,Pole mount for LCD TV and Storage bin all for about $200 so we only have $2000 in the trailer,the KVH is like $2000 itself isn't it?

#16 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:01 PM

I think I'd just use the standard J-mount and mount it on the front side of the trailer, high enough that the dish would clear the roof once you put it on the mount. Just make sure you reinforce the inside of the wall so the screws don't pull out.

That way wouldn't have to climb on the roof or use a ladder. You could probably step on that storage box on the tongue and install it quickly and with ease.

#17 OFFLINE   RonH

RonH

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:09 PM

I think I'd just use the standard J-mount and mount it on the front side of the trailer, high enough that the dish would clear the roof once you put it on the mount. Just make sure you reinforce the inside of the wall so the screws don't pull out.

That way wouldn't have to climb on the roof or use a ladder. You could probably step on that storage box on the tongue and install it quickly and with ease.

That seems like a Great idea thanks for the input.

#18 OFFLINE   Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:50 PM

http://www.solidsign...sp?PROD=SK-3005

Wonder what happens to that dish when you hit 80mph on a freeway....

#19 OFFLINE   NCMAT

NCMAT

Godfather

• Registered
  • 331 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:09 AM

"• Stows to a low 10" travel height "

#20 OFFLINE   RonH

RonH

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:55 AM

We won't travel with the Dish in place,we will just have the Dish in place while we are Parked.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...