Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will DTV Installers also put up a OTA Antenna? Recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   thestaton

thestaton

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:55 PM

Unfortunately Lexington, KY is not slated to be getting HD Locals any time soon. I checked out Antennaweb.com to get an idea of what kind of equipment I would need.

Right now I'm using this antenna because TWC does not offer ABC or NBC in HD.
Amazon.com: RCA Indoor / Outdoor Tv Antenna: Electronics

I have this antenna inside, and it does a decent job but if anyone walks into the room or I move around then the signal cuts out. However, I can not for the life of me pick up CBS or FOX with it.

The problem with my location, is that we are down in a valley, and all areas of the house are surrounded by trees that are well over 30FT. If I travel a mile north to my neighbors house that lives up on a nice size hill they can pick up the locals with a decent size antenna inside their house with no problem.

According to antenna web these are the color codes for the digital channels.
Fox - Green. VHF 56.1. Compass 245 Miles. 22.6
CBS - Red. VHF 27.1 Compass 274 Miles. 23.8
NBC - Red. UHF 18.1 Compass 273 Miles 23.4
ABC - RED. UHF 36.1 Compass 273 Miles 23.4

Maybe I could pick these up with a great indoor antenna? If not is it possible for DTV to install a outside OTA antenna when they come to do the install?

I found the Wineguard Squre Shooter antenna, and it looks like it can be installed on top of the dish and the signal ran on the same line?

I understand I could change my billing address to a digital grey area, that is about 20 miles east of my location, and get the east coast nationals.

Finally, if anyone can recommend a great installer for the Central, KY area I'm all ears.

Thanks for the help,

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:11 PM

D* will not get involved with your OTA antenna.

That's strictly DIY.

Don't let that deter you, though. You'll reap the benefits of fade-free local TV.

Your better off putting a good VHF/UHF antenna in your attic (or outside), rather than small dish "clip-ons". They just don't perform well.

It's also best to run a separate coax for OTA, rather than diplex it with the sat. But, if necessary, it is possible...and also NOT supported by D*.

What model and how many D* receivers do you have?
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#3 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:25 PM

We used to carry OTA's in the warehouse and sometimes had one in my truck. But I would have no clue how to align one since we have all locals from the sat.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#4 OFFLINE   thestaton

thestaton

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:45 PM

I am looking at just getting this setup. HR21-100/AM21
So just 1 :)

#5 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:51 PM

According to tvfool.com the Fox plans to stay on RF Channel 4. So, you'll need a VHF Lo/Hi and UHF combo antenna.

Something along the lines of a Channel Master CM-3016 should work well.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,601 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:54 PM

Check out the Lexington, KY thread in the "Local HDTV Reception Forum" at http://www.avsforum.com. You'll find local experts that provide or can recommend off-air antenna installation.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...