Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SONY Incompatible with 501 VOD 1080p?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:33 PM

In addition to the posts here, I see on other forums a general consensus that the Dish 1080p will not work with Sony 1080p equipment, period. Haven't been able to find a single instance of a Sony TV working with the Dish 1080p VOD. Anybody out there with a Sony that has gotten this to pass the test?

If Dish will hurry up and send me my replacement 622, I'll try it out on my 52XBR4. I'm definitely curious to see if it works or not on my set.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:46 PM

In addition to the posts here, I see on other forums a general consensus that the Dish 1080p will not work with Sony 1080p equipment, period. Haven't been able to find a single instance of a Sony TV working with the Dish 1080p VOD. Anybody out there with a Sony that has gotten this to pass the test?

There are a number of reports from various non-Sony TVs that are also failing. It isn't a Sony issue; it's a Dish issue. It should not be particularly surprising since this is the very first time Dish's software to enable 1080p in any format has been released to the public. They really should have did what DirecTV started doing months ago: set up a test channel that allowed this testing to be done BEFORE the content was released and marketed so heavily.

In any event, I'm sure Dish is feeling the pressure to get this working, and I'm sure they will. Like any new feature, it takes a little time to work out the bugs.

#23 OFFLINE   raylock

raylock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:10 PM

OK, had to try it. Cost me $2.99 to find out though:)

Works with my Sony 46Z4100. Display shows 1090p/24. You do have to pay money to see if it works, unfortunately.

#24 OFFLINE   lwien

lwien

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:26 PM

You do have to pay money to see if it works, unfortunately.

No you don't. You can hit "rent" and IF your set is incompatible, it will say so without it costing you a dime.

#25 OFFLINE   raylock

raylock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:31 PM

No you don't. You can hit "rent" and IF your set is incompatible, it will say so without it costing you a dime.

Sorry, it didn't work that way on my set. My first screen says rent. If I don't select that opton, I get a second screen that says that "Either my TV does not accept that resolution or you did not select rent quick enough" (not exact). Second time, I selected rent and the movie began playing. Don't know why your procedure is different than mine, but anything is possible and, I guess, probable:) I guess, IF it had been incompatible, it wouldn't have cost me anything. The earlier question was whether it cost anything to find out if your set is compatible. I believe the answer is NO if your set is not compatable but YES if it is compatible.

#26 OFFLINE   lwien

lwien

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:10 PM

The earlier question was whether it cost anything to find out if your set is compatible. I believe the answer is NO if your set is not compatable but YES if it is compatible.

Yup. That sounds right.

#27 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:56 PM

That list doesn't mean squat. My TV, a Sony A3000, is on that list, and yet is incompatible with 1080p on Dish.

The reviews of your set that I can find all suggest that it can do 24fps... it's a 120 Hz set. The list actually does mean squat as far as your set. The fact that your set doesn't play with your Dish receiver may be due to other things, such as, gasp, a mistake or a problem.

#28 OFFLINE   lwien

lwien

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:32 PM

The reviews of your set that I can find all suggest that it can do 24fps... it's a 120 Hz set. The list actually does mean squat as far as your set. The fact that your set doesn't play with your Dish receiver may be due to other things, such as, gasp, a mistake or a problem.

Yup........my problem and Dish's mistake.

My problem is not only that it doesn't work, but Dish is telling me that it is NOT their problem, but Sony's, which implies that they are not going to do a damn thing about it.

#29 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,524 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:50 PM

Maybe they just can't get it to work with Sony's built in DRM system in many models? Wouldn't surprise me. Sony has a long history of preferring to make the consumer's life miserable in order to protect content they own which is why I hated to see their standards control the HD hardware market.

#30 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:57 AM

Got my replacement 622 yesterday but it hasn't downloaded the VOD movies yet. As soon as I Am Legend shows up I'm going to give it a try on my XBR4.

#31 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:41 AM

My problem is not only that it doesn't work, but Dish is telling me that it is NOT their problem, but Sony's, which implies that they are not going to do a damn thing about it.

Which you know for a fact is incorrect. :rolleyes:

#32 OFFLINE   LinkNuc

LinkNuc

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:49 PM

OK, so I just spent 35 min on the phone with tech support...this is great, after we went round and round about why I cannot get 1080p on my 60A3000 (completely 24fps capable, and I have tried motion enhancer off to make it 4:4 @96fps) that there is nothing they can do, he offered me Sony's number at least half a dozen times...I mentioned L6.14 and the response was evasive

the best part is that when asked for the code on the upper right and I said 995 he said that's not a dish code that must be on your TV...after 5 min of BS ing he finally got it

my goal was to ensure that this case gets in their knowledge base or OE for you nukes out there....I think there KB is lacking they should be putting EVERY case into a database and trend at least each month...ugh

Basically 100000 people have got the 612 and i am "lucky"..ha lucky that it doesn't work?

Anyway, I did it just to see what I could get out of them, obviously my TV is capable (and I knew it didn;t work based on reading all thre forums)and obviously something is a miss between the 622 and the TV..

But in all honesty, their Corrective Action Program is weak, not to mention information dissemination and Change Managment, but what can we do?
HR23-700, AM21, 360 Elite, HD-DVD, Sony KDS-60A3000..."Blu-Ray Player, heck, I have to use my PS3 for something, it sure as heck isn't a video game console"..audio:Yamaha RX-V863, Bose Acoustimass 10

#33 OFFLINE   barryaz1

barryaz1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:52 PM

I've had v6.12 on my 622 for a week or so now, and in trying to access IAL in 1080p, my TV keeps flunking the test. Since it's clearly a 1080p set via HDMI (Sony KDSR70XBR2) what now?

#34 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:27 PM

I've had v6.12 on my 622 for a week or so now, and in trying to access IAL in 1080p, my TV keeps flunking the test. Since it's clearly a 1080p set via HDMI (Sony KDSR70XBR2) what now?

Your TV will accept 1080/60p signals, but not 1080/24p signals, so in this case, the receiver is correctly identifying your TV as being incompatible, which means the receiver will convert the signal to 1080/60i, which is compatible with your TV.

#35 OFFLINE   barryaz1

barryaz1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:51 PM

Your TV will accept 1080/60p signals, but not 1080/24p signals, so in this case, the receiver is correctly identifying your TV as being incompatible, which means the receiver will convert the signal to 1080/60i, which is compatible with your TV.

I will check the manual for settings along with the AVS lists. Thanks.

#36 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:46 PM

Dish appears to be still working out the spec for 1080p. Direct has it in beta also.

:lol:
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#37 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,988 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:27 PM

If you like to help resolve the issues with particular HDTV, then post your EDID in a thread http://dbstalk.com/s...ad.php?t=137532.

#38 OFFLINE   SkipperTW

SkipperTW

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:11 AM

Ordered last night on a samsung LN-T4665F (passed test) no problem, played movie in 1080P... Nice (but not worth $6.99 a flick if you ask me)... :nono2:

#39 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:38 AM

His TV will accept 24fps content and and it will be displayed, of course, at 1080p using 3:2 Pulldown and thus introducing judder which may or may not be an issue. (Depending on content and viewer.)

The point is that his set will accept 24fps content.

#40 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:59 PM

His TV will accept 24fps content and and it will be displayed, of course, at 1080p using 3:2 Pulldown and thus introducing judder which may or may not be an issue. (Depending on content and viewer.)

The point is that is set will accept 24fps content.

Appologies, you are correct. I had to read 6 reviews before I found one that confirmed that it accepts 1080/24p signals.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...