Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SONY Incompatible with 501 VOD 1080p?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   barryaz1

barryaz1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:03 PM

Appologies, you are correct. I had to read 6 reviews before I found one that confirmed that it accepts 1080/24p signals.

So I'm back at square one with my Sony KDSR70XBR2 and passing their d**n* "test":mad:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:53 AM

So are you stuck with the movie if you hit RENT and it passes the test?

Agree with lwien, you don't have to rent it if it passes the test.

When you first select the 1080p VOD event, you get a screen stating it costs $2.99, and that a 1080p test will be performed.

If you select "rent" from this screen, it doesn't really "test" anything, but just immediately goes into 1080p mode. My Pioneer Plasma displayed this instantly, via component no less, with the mode reading 1080p on the TV.

While in 1080p mode, a 2nd requestor pops up asking if you want to continue with the movie. You can continue at this point, or cancel out. If you cancel out, or don't press anything (which would be the case for people who's TV doesn't display the 1080p signal and can't even see it) it falls back out of 1080p mode, and you get a 3rd requester saying you failed, and asking if you want to rent in lower resolution.

I've done this over and over, you can definitely "test" without having to pay or rent the movie. It gives you a chance to cancel out while in the 1080p test screen.

#43 OFFLINE   raylock

raylock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:09 PM

When you first select the 1080p VOD event, you get a screen stating it costs $2.99, and that a 1080p test will be performed.

If you select "rent" from this screen, it doesn't really "test" anything, but just immediately goes into 1080p mode. My Pioneer Plasma displayed this instantly, via component no less, with the mode reading 1080p on the TV.

While in 1080p mode, a 2nd requestor pops up asking if you want to continue with the movie. You can continue at this point, or cancel out. If you cancel out, or don't press anything (which would be the case for people who's TV doesn't display the 1080p signal and can't even see it) it falls back out of 1080p mode, and you get a 3rd requester saying you failed, and asking if you want to rent in lower resolution.

I've done this over and over, you can definitely "test" without having to pay or rent the movie. It gives you a chance to cancel out while in the 1080p test screen.

I thought I might have missed something when I tried this with my upstairs 622. I reported earlier that if it passed the compatibility test you had rented it. So I just tried it on my basement 622. I select the movie and I get a screen asking me if I want to rent the movie. I did nothing and I then got a screen saying that either I didn't answer quickly enough or the resolution of my TV was not compatible. So I did it again (no resolution testing had been performed at this point). This time I said yes and the resolution compatibility of TV was checked, it passed and I was informed I had rented the movie. So my experience in both cases was that when my TV or projector passed the test I was stuck for the rental fee. I can't challenge what your experience was, I can only tell you what mine was. I don't have any ideas why we should be getting different results.
Best
Ray

#44 OFFLINE   mercator1

mercator1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:23 PM

I think my Panasonic plasma only supports 1080p/60. The manual doesn't say so, but I found it someplace on the internet (but can't find it now). I originally failed the test, but I was using my Yamaha soundbar as the switcher (HMDI in and out). I suspected that the 722 wasn't getting a good return code back from the TV because of the sound system in the middle. I changed things up to run HDMI from 722 and DVD player directly into my TV, and run a digital optical audio out to the sound system. Now, the 1080p VOD works fine. The downside is that I could only find that out by renting 10,000 B.C. That is 90 minutes of my life wasted.

BTW, I could definitely tell the difference with the 1080p. Very, very crisp and clear picture, although I've never seen that specific film in any other resolution to compare (and certainly won't).

#45 OFFLINE   mercator1

mercator1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:23 PM

I think my Panasonic plasma only supports 1080p/60. The manual doesn't say so, but I found it someplace on the internet (but can't find it now). I originally failed the test, but I was using my Yamaha soundbar as the switcher (HMDI in and out). I suspected that the 722 wasn't getting a good return code back from the TV because of the sound system in the middle. I changed things up to run HDMI from 722 and DVD player directly into my TV, and run a digital optical audio out to the sound system. Now, the 1080p VOD works fine. The downside is that I could only find that out by renting 10,000 B.C. That is 90 minutes of my life wasted.

BTW, I could definitely tell the difference with the 1080p. Very, very crisp and clear picture, although I've never seen that specific film in any other resolution to compare (and certainly won't).

#46 OFFLINE   boy654

boy654

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:22 PM

Thanks, that worked for my on a KDL-40Z4100 and I saw 1080P/24fps for resolution on the Sony. However if I go to Diagnostics/HDMI tests, it does not show 1080p as supported resolution. I called tech support and they tried to tell me 1080i is a better resolution than 1080p

#47 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:31 AM

Note there are apparently changes in L618 that may make 1080P24 work with some Sony and perhaps others. So far my test does not look good but it does now try and switch to 1080p24. See my post
http://www.dbstalk.c...06&postcount=53
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

Protected By... spam firewall...And...