Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

question re forthcoming wiring/phone jacks

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JayCeeVee

JayCeeVee

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:13 AM

Not a techie so bear with me. An installer told me yesterday that they would be receiving training soon for DTV going to single line to power multi-switch and eventually we would need only one phone jack for the primary receiver. Also future DVR equipment will be single line instead of dual. Can you explain how this will work?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:27 AM

An installer told me yesterday that they would be receiving training soon for DTV going to single line to power multi-switch and eventually we would need only one phone jack for the primary receiver.

First lesson: nomenclature

When you say DTV, do you mean Digital Television or DIRECTV? If DIRECTV, you should say so and I would suggest that you post such queries in a DIRECTV specific forum. DIRECTV does have a single wire solution and it has been in active deployment for a few months now in Multi-Dwelling Units (apartments and hotels). It will be officially rolled out on a wider basis tomorrow.

The single phone jack is a DISH Network thing as they have hardware built into their HD receivers so that the receivers can communicate with one another without an external network.

Also future DVR equipment will be single line instead of dual. Can you explain how this will work?

DISH Network's system that has been around for a while now is called DishPro Plus. DIRECTV's single wire system is known as "Single Wire Multiswitch" or SWM for short.

Do a search.

#3 OFFLINE   JayCeeVee

JayCeeVee

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:44 AM

Sorry, I should have stated DirectV. Thank you for the reply.

#4 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:19 PM

i knew exactly what he meant when he said DTV. its called 'context clues.'

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:18 PM

i knew exactly what he meant when he said DTV. its called 'context clues.'

Goody for you.

#6 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:30 PM

Goody for you.

i suspected you might be an *******. now I know. :D

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:24 PM

It is nice to be labeled by someone such as yourself.

#8 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:19 AM

Things here turned from very informative to nasty in just 2 posts...it should be re-titled "I can name that insult in 2 notes". :D :lol:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...