Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

inspiration coming to dish august 27th

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:25 PM

New channel coming August 27th.

http://www.broadcast.../CA6589628.html

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:16 PM

Warming up on channel 259 (right next to TBN).

I wish DISH would move 3ABN down to the 250/260 range. The 9710 number made sense when SkyAngel had the rest of the 9700's ... now it is an orphan. :(

#3 OFFLINE   clyde sauls

clyde sauls

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:57 AM

now if they would add gospel music tv or network

#4 OFFLINE   Boston

Boston

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:18 PM

Glad to hear that Dish is adding Inspiration. I have requested additional Christian programming since Sky Angel's departure from satellite. My hope was that they would at least add those channels that are available on Direct TV.

I am not able to get Sky Angel's IP package because my DSL connection is not fast enough and I need to connect two TVs anyhow. I had considered switching to Direct TV since they appear to have more Christian content and an excellent promotion.

Hopefully Dish will add some more channels.

#5 OFFLINE   Adam Richey

Adam Richey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:52 AM

I don't think Dish has ANY excuse at all not to expand their religious offerings. Think of the variety of programming out there available that even caters to specific genres or groups like gospel and young children. I would even be willing to bet that certain religious channels would probably be provided absolutely free to Dish if they wanted them.
Anybody else wonder just how horrible WWE's "wrestling" is gonna get?

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:38 AM

I don't think Dish has ANY excuse at all not to expand their religious offerings. Think of the variety of programming out there available that even caters to specific genres or groups like gospel and young children. I would even be willing to bet that certain religious channels would probably be provided absolutely free to Dish if they wanted them.

DISH would prefer that the channels pay.

Most religious channels are "public interest" channels, non-commercial channels that pay for their carriage on DISH and/or DirecTV. What the channels pay may vary. Unfortunately it means that we're more likely to see channels with money to pay for distribution than any choice based on content variety.

That doesn't mean that DISH can't carry a non-commercial channel for free, or even pay a non-commercial channel to carry their signal. But those channels (non-commercial) are normally carried as "public interest" channels that pay ... even on DirecTV.

(DISH was handicapped with their deal with the Dominion, SkyAngel, that prevented them from adding religious channels ... which explains why DISH has a variety of other types of non-commercial channels instead of the religious channels carried by DirecTV. Now that SkyAngel has ended their satellite service we can see more religious channels added to DISH as "PI" slots open up or are created by capacity changes on the satellites.)

#7 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:54 PM

New channel coming August 27th.

http://www.broadcast.../CA6589628.html

Just another channel for me to hide.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#8 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:53 PM

They can add "religious" channels if they want, as long as they add LOGO as well.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:43 PM

They can add "religious" channels if they want, as long as they add LOGO as well.

If Logo would become a non-commercial station and agree to pay for their space on the system they would have a better shot. :)

Logo probably would be carried if they were asking the right price and channel placement ... but so many programmers think that their channel is so so good that they should have the widest distribution and the highest payment by the distributor (DISH Network, in this case).

INSP is coming. That's the focus of this thread.

#10 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:22 PM

If Logo would become a non-commercial station and agree to pay for their space on the system they would have a better shot. :)

Logo probably would be carried if they were asking the right price and channel placement ... but so many programmers think that their channel is so so good that they should have the widest distribution and the highest payment by the distributor (DISH Network, in this case).

INSP is coming. That's the focus of this thread.

LOGO is a Viacom/MTV owned station and thus is clumped in with the MTV set of channels. The channel will come up for debate once the contract comes back up I believe near the end of this year beginning part of next.
The 4th post in this thread brings up "Think of the variety of programming out there available that even caters to specific genres or groups" which opens up discussion of other channels beyond INSP, be they religious or others.

#11 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:23 PM

You know, I'll take any channel they can get us, I don't watch alot of religious programming but, I do enjoy having the option to have more of it. Bring it on.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#12 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:29 PM

You know, I'll take any channel they can get us, I don't watch alot of religious programming but, I do enjoy having the option to have more of it. Bring it on.

I agree, the more channels the more choices, but enough of the shopping and infomercial channels!!!!! But I guess if dish gets $$$ for having them and it keeps my bill down, bring them on too.

#13 OFFLINE   Boston

Boston

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:44 AM

Several responses talked about the channels paying for carriage. My understanding was that their desirability was that they were offered free where Dish and Direct TV had to pay for most other content providers. Also, in many cases they could be included in the requirement to carry channels of public interest.

When Sky Angel left satellite, I would liked Glorystar or some other group to come up with an alternative package. Barring that, I just want Dish to address their competitive shortcoming and add the Christian networks carried by Direct TV and cable like The Church Channel, The Word Network, etc.

#14 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:25 PM

Several responses talked about the channels paying for carriage. My understanding was that their desirability was that they were offered free where Dish and Direct TV had to pay for most other content providers. Also, in many cases they could be included in the requirement to carry channels of public interest.

When Sky Angel left satellite, I would liked Glorystar or some other group to come up with an alternative package. Barring that, I just want Dish to address their competitive shortcoming and add the Christian networks carried by Direct TV and cable like The Church Channel, The Word Network, etc.

Dish carries at least 6 "christian" channels as it is. The same number of channels as news channels, and EPSN channels. I think there are plenty of "christian" channels on Dish.

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:34 PM

There are eight "religious" channels on DirecTV that DISH does not yet have (plus a few that both services have). Considering they have about 30 less SD channels overall than DISH there is a lot more "religion" in the mix on their service. :)

DISH could use more religious channels to catch up.

#16 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:48 AM

"inspiration coming to dish august 27th" God help us all!!!
I say make it a pay channel then see how many people get....:eek2:

#17 OFFLINE   aloishus27

aloishus27

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:59 AM

Not sure if adding LOGO makes good business sense for Dish. as of 2007 only 2.9% of Americans identify as LGB, while 70% identify as Christian.
Customer since 1997
ViP622, 211
508 PVR
Model 3000 collecting dust

#18 OFFLINE   westsiderick

westsiderick

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:07 AM

Not sure if adding LOGO makes good business sense for Dish. as of 2007 only 2.9% of Americans identify as LGB, while 70% identify as Christian.

Where the heck do you get 2.9% and then think 70% plus 2.9% equals 100%??

LMAO

#19 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:13 AM

LMAO

LMAO TOO

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:37 AM

LMAO

The two categories are not mutually exclusive. I'm sure some of those identifying as LGB also identify as Christian ... obviously many don't identify as either. It is just a case of reading the statistic.

Just like this isn't a competition between LOGO and INSP. Both channels could exist on the same system (as they will on DirecTV tomorrow). Neither channel could exist on the same system (as they do on DISH Network today).

BTW: This thread isn't about LOGO ... it is about INSP.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...