Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

can someone please briefly explain echostar

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cricketics

Cricketics

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:53 AM

as the title reads, can someone please briefly explain me the echostar thing.

what is the discussion going on and those sticky thread for echostar.

like i see a thread namely "echostar 11 launched"

now what is that. please someone briefly tell me is it the echostar sling box or something

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,900 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:49 AM

Echostar is the original corporate name for the company that is now DISH Network.

"Echostar 11" is DISH Network's latest satellite that just reached it's planned orbital location on Thursday night. It will be used as a replacement for "Echostar 8" which will be moved somewhere else.

#3 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:23 AM

to put it simply, Echostar is the hardware (Satellites in the air, Box next to your tv, Dish outside on your house), Dish Network provides you with the programming (the stuff you see when you turn on your tv).

#4 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:30 AM

Echostar is the original corporate name for the company that is now DISH Network.

"Echostar 11" is DISH Network's latest satellite that just reached it's planned orbital location on Thursday night. It will be used as a replacement for "Echostar 8" which will be moved somewhere else.

Slight correction Echosphere was the original corporate name and that was changed to Echostar with Echosphere becoming one of the corporate divisions.:)

#5 OFFLINE   Cricketics

Cricketics

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:19 AM

thanks for the info guys

#6 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:25 AM

thanks for the info guys

You might also try goggle searches for Echosphere Corp./Echostar Corp. and DISH Network. There should be lots of information to sort through.

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,479 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:43 AM

From Wikipedia:

EchoStar Technologies L.L.C. is a technology company that is the owner and maintainer of the satellite fleet that provides the signal that DISH Network markets. The company also designs and manufactures set-top boxes to receive the Freeview (DVB-T) broadcasts in the United Kingdom, as well as receivers for Bell ExpressVu, and owns Sling Media (producers of the Slingbox TV streaming device)

The company was formerly part of EchoStar Communications Corporation before DISH Network was separated in December 2007.

EchoStar was originally formed in 1980 by its chairman and CEO Charlie Ergen as a distributor of C band TV systems. In 1987, EchoStar applied for a direct broadcast satellite (DBS) license with the Federal Communications Commission and was granted access to orbital slot 119° west longitude in 1992.

On 28 December 1995, EchoStar successfully launched its first satellite, EchoStar I. That same year, EchoStar established the DISH Network brand name to market its home satellite TV system.

...On 2 January 2008 the Dish Network business was demerged from the technology and infrastructure side of the business. A split in the shares created two companies, DISH Network Corporation which consists mainly of the Dish Network business, and Echostar Corporation which retains ownership of the technology side including the satellites, Sling media, and the set-top box development arm.

That contains most everything you'll need to know about the companies. Before the company split, on this forum everything Dish Network used to be referred to as E* and DirecTV was referred to as D*.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#8 OFFLINE   raylock

raylock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:56 PM

I always wondered how they move these things around. I am guessing, it only takes a little fuel to start it in motion and a little to stop it. But actually, I have no clue:) Are these major moves or just short distances?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...