Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: West Palm Beach-Fort Pierce, FL

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:57 PM

DMA: West Palm Beach-Fort Pierce, FL
Established: 6/28/2006

Edited by Gary Toma, 04 July 2014 - 07:00 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Don Moe

Don Moe

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:43 PM

Recently WHDT in Stuart, Florida became available on channel 44. It is supposed to be in full HD, but is actually being broadcast in letterboxed SD. The several different programs that I've watched are all in this format.

As this channel broadcasts programming from Deutsche Welle in Germany, I am very disappointed that there is no German-language programming, nor is there any use made of the secondary audio channel to provide the original German language audio for programs interpreted into English.

#3 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:19 AM

WPEC CBS HD has been suffering from frequent audio problems (brrrippp sound) and pixelation. When I switch over to the Comcast version of that channel there are no audio or video issues. The OTA version is also fine.

This has been an ongoing problem for two months.

#4 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:06 AM

WPEC CBS HD has been suffering from frequent audio problems (brrrippp sound) and pixelation. When I switch over to the Comcast version of that channel there are no audio or video issues. The OTA version is also fine.

This has been an ongoing problem for two months.

This isn't getting any better...it's been bad for months.

#5 OFFLINE   Boynton Beach Jets

Boynton Beach Jets

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

I am having audio issues on Fox-29 in West Palm where the audio is constantly popping on and off

#6 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,891 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:30 PM

On 14 Feb, WPEC channel 12 news reported they are having issues with their tower and crews are working on it. The only people not affected are cable viewers. HD signals on Dish, Directv, and OTA are still going to have issues. I have not seen an update yet.

http://www.cbs12.com.../cable_cbs.html

Edited by armophob, 22 February 2009 - 07:41 PM.

#7 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,891 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

WFLX Fox 29 West Palm Beach, Fl
Feb28 - March7 - March14, 2009
8-12pm

Brippps in audio 3 weeks in a row on Cops, AMW, 10pm News, and TMZ in HD. Had to switch to SD to even hear it.

Edited by armophob, 14 March 2009 - 08:13 PM.

#8 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,891 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:51 PM

Oh by the way.
Here is an email between WPEC and me.

We installed new HD encoding equipment around that time. Glad you notice an improvement.

Regards,

Bob Blauvelt, CSTE
Senior Broadcast Engineer
WPEC TV/DT
1100 Fairfield Drive
West Palm Beach, FL 33407

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2009 8:47 PM
To: Paul Russell
Subject: HD signal issues

The HD signal audio Brrrrripppps that were occurring for weeks on
national feed shows, seem to be gone now. Did the repair that came about
due to Feb 12ths outage correct it or was something else wrong as well?

Thanks,

#9 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,891 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:20 PM

WFLX Fox29 again
15 March 2009

Brrrrrrrrrripppps and lyp sync are completely screwed up on News at 10pm and commercials.

They should just shut off the HD feed until they can fix it.

#10 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,891 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:17 PM

March 21 2009
Fox 29 WFLX
Brrrippps are gone now. Saturday night Cops, AMW, and news were free of audio troubles.
I have not heard any in a week now.

#11 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,891 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:48 PM

July 21 2009,
Here we go again with WFLX Fox 29. For the last couple weeks I was blaming the storms on the Brrrrrips in the recorded sound. But watching the 10'oclock news tonight with clear skies proves they are having issues again with the signal.

The Briiiipppppps are coming every 5 secs and worse.

#12 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,891 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:34 PM

July 21 2009,
Here we go again with WFLX Fox 29. For the last couple weeks I was blaming the storms on the Brrrrrips in the recorded sound. But watching the 10'oclock news tonight with clear skies proves they are having issues again with the signal.

The Briiiipppppps are coming every 5 secs and worse.

July 24 2009. Watching 10'oclock news and the brrriiippps are gone, but the voices seem warbled like underwater in segments. I am not convinced that this is transmission as much as studio troubles.

Side note. Doug Brott is checking to see if this thread is relevant any longer.

#13 OFFLINE   Don Moe

Don Moe

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:50 PM

Recently WHDT in Stuart, Florida became available on channel 44. It is supposed to be in full HD, but is actually being broadcast in letterboxed SD. As this channel broadcasts programming from Deutsche Welle in Germany, I am very disappointed that there is no German-language programming, nor is there any use made of the secondary audio channel to provide the original German language audio for programs interpreted into English.

Recently I noticed that WHDT, which is still shown as channel 44 on DTV, but their station ID indicates channel 9, has been broadcasting the Deutsche Welle news in German (Das Journal) at 7 AM followed by Euromaxx at 7:30 AM in German. Unfortunately their feed of the program from Germany often seems to experience pixelation or total drop-outs, perhaps due to rain-fade. I too wish they would broadcast more programming in German, possibly through the secondary audio channel.

Since I live in Jupiter, only 20 miles south of Stuart, I would expect to receive their programming on an OTA channel somewhere, but so far without success. Their station ID shows a picture of a building in West Palm Beach with a large transmission mast on it. However, when I visited that building a few months ago, there was no mast nor any indication that the station was located in that building. Very strange...

#14 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:57 AM

The Brrrriiiip problem on WFLX (Fox) out of WPB was horrendous last night during the Simpsons. The worst I've ever heard. The problem was constant, loud and long. I switched over to the Comcast HD feed of the same channel and there were no issues. Recorded them side by side for a while and the DirecTV feed was horrid while the same spot on the Comcast feed was clean.

#15 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,891 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:19 PM

The Brrrriiiip problem on WFLX (Fox) out of WPB was horrendous last night during the Simpsons. The worst I've ever heard. The problem was constant, loud and long. I switched over to the Comcast HD feed of the same channel and there were no issues. Recorded them side by side for a while and the DirecTV feed was horrid while the same spot on the Comcast feed was clean.

Yep, Sunday night was unwatchable. I tried to watch the news at 10pm and the Brrrrrrippps were 5 - 10 secs apart all night long. I recorded last nights news and it appears to be fixed now.

#16 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,891 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:00 PM

Here we go again with Fox WFLX sunday night Bbbrrriiipppps. They must be doing something on Sunday nights to cause this. Every 5 - 10 secs I am getting it on the 10oclock news. I can't stand to even watch it.

#17 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,891 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:14 PM

I will give my report here in this thread even though the station is not listed.

PBS 42 WXEL West Palm Beach

I admittedly do not watch much of this channel, but recently I recorded Leonard Cohen's concert. The recording was almost unwatchable with all the video and audio glitches. I shut it off after 10 min and have set up another recording for the 19th at 9pm. This recording was presented in SD and I do not believe the channel is HD. But I have no other forum to complain about a stations A/V troubles.

#18 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,891 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

WFLX Fox 29 has now been having audio issues for the last 3-5 nights. Probably days as well but I don't have any shows set up. They have lost their digital signal and are broadcasting in stereo only.

#19 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,891 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:36 PM

WFLX Fox 29 has now been having audio issues for the last 3-5 nights. Probably days as well but I don't have any shows set up. They have lost their digital signal and are broadcasting in stereo only.

Sent an email to them last night about the audio. Don't know if that or this thread helped, but it appears to be fixed today. DD is back on WFLX.:)

#20 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:24 PM

WFLX was a complete mess tonight starting at around 9PM there are Brrrripppps about every 10 seconds. A few entire audio dropouts and other issues.

Switching over the the same channel on Comcast cable and there were no issues.

spam firewall