Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Los Angeles, CA

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   juniormaj

juniormaj

Legend

• Registered
  • 536 posts
  • LocationNewbury Park, CA

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:20 PM

Shouldn't be -- it's the Dodgers' local broadcast on Prime Ticket, and the Angels' local broadcast on 13, and neither team has the authority to black out the other's local broadcast. (Of course, there's always the slim possibility of some bizarre DirecTV technical issue...)

Yeah, I should have added that bit. I was mostly worried that DirecTV might flub it since I've been reading some reports of "Game Search" acting a bit wonky.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   cigar95

cigar95

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:24 PM

I recorded '24' on 11 and 399 last night. Although I noticed glitches on both feeds, it seemed the ones on 399 were much less severe than the ones on 11.

I did something a bit different - I recorded both HD and SD versions of channel 11. I had the same issues - four or five "blackouts" - on my HD version in the first hour, but the SD recording was just fine. (At least I was able to use that to go back and see what I missed.)

#43 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:30 PM

Since changing over my series links to 399 instead of 11, things have been MUCH better. Tonight's So You Think You Can Dance had a really bad period. Tap dancing acapella with regular brrriping was quite amusing!

#44 OFFLINE   ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:37 AM

Since changing over my series links to 399 instead of 11, things have been MUCH better. Tonight's So You Think You Can Dance had a really bad period. Tap dancing acapella with regular brrriping was quite amusing!

When KTTV moves back to channel 11 on June 12th, there should no longer be a problem.

#45 OFFLINE   Ashtonian

Ashtonian

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:25 PM

What is "A3 Los Angeles 50 KOCE PBS"
Just appeared in the guide with programs marked [HD]

Is this a new local HD

#46 OFFLINE   Ashtonian

Ashtonian

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:39 PM

Go to Channels I get and look for KCET 28...that will be your HD PBS channel 28

However, KOCE in my guide was showing [HD]

So I went to Setup > Parental> Favorites> Edit> [Fav Chan]
then scrolled to 50 which is KOCE above it now added to the listing is 50
This first 50 is the HD channel
I select this 50 and unselect the previously selected 2nd 50

#47 OFFLINE   JACH

JACH

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:59 PM

For me, when one HD local channel from channel 2 - 13 starts to break up, they all do. Some people here are talking about specific channels like Fox 11, but for me it's either they all break up at the same time or they're all fine. Usually starts to happen after 8pm. I believe the signal for LA locals come from satellite 103s transponders 19 & 21, right? Those signals for me are always high 90s if not 100%. I've been seeing this problem since I joined directv over a year ago, and I've been watching my locals on channels in the 390s instead since then. The channels in the 390s always work fine and it's a good alternative, but channel 5, 9 and 13 don't have alternatives. Luckily I don't watch much of anything on 5, 9 and 13. But everytime someone in the house tunes to 2 - 13 for the news or something and there's breakup, I'm reminded that I'm paying directv a bunch of money while having to settle for a workaround. So what's up with channel 2 - 13? Isn't this a known issue? Aren't they working on it?

#48 OFFLINE   bmwtaxi

bmwtaxi

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:58 PM

I've been having major picture freeze ups on all local channels. CBS, ABC, NBC and Fox. But not on the local PBS channel. Is DirecTV acknowledging th eproblem and working on it?

#49 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,904 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:15 AM

I have no information on that, and my LA locals were fine last night. I would look at your signal strengths. With the way the wind's been the last couple of weeks it might have knocked your dish out of alignment.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#50 OFFLINE   SLICK1938

SLICK1938

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:44 AM

Stuart:
Have you heard of any reason why we have lost the HD LA Locals, Channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, & 13, in the Twentynine Palms (92277)
area? All was fine until last night (Thursday), or at least that's when
I first noticed it. The SD version of those channels are available but not HD. I receive the west coast HD feeds on 391,393,397 & 399 without problems. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

#51 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,904 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

You should have those channels. You might try calling customer service or going through the troubleshooting steps at DIRECTV.com to refresh your services.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#52 OFFLINE   SLICK1938

SLICK1938

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:26 AM

Thanks, Stuart.
I did the refresh thing to no avail and called customer service, After speaking with 5 different folks, and repeating the problem to each,
I got a lady from South Dakota who tried to help but couldn't figure it out either. Anyway she said she would thoroughly document my call and pass it along to more experienced techs and to call back Monday if the problem wasn't resolved. We'll see.
Thanks again.

#53 OFFLINE   SLICK1938

SLICK1938

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:39 PM

Stuart, just to followup on the above.
The HD locals out of LA were out as mentioned in the 92277 area and
returned on Wednesday, 7 Oct. Still have not received an explanation from DirecTV on why they went out but all is well in the desert and, whatever happened, we now are able to receive all of the locals in HD including Channels 28 and 50 (PBS) that we were not receiving before the HD outage.
The DIRECTV Tech showed up Wednesday morning as scheduled and saw that all was well but took the time to replace the LNB, dish wiring, and connectors as they were getting old, and even took the time to align the dish to ensure maximum performance. There are some very fine service persons out there and this young man was a jewel.

#54 OFFLINE   BillyBob_jcv

BillyBob_jcv

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

I seem to have lost channel 4 - I was getting pixelation for a couple of days, but now it is just a black screen. Anyone else?
If you think this post was dumb, you really should read my blog=>http://bumpedhishead.blogspot.com/

#55 ONLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:34 PM

Other people have reported channels 2 and 4 are black screen - looks like a source issue, not your equipment...

#56 OFFLINE   joerockt

joerockt

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:52 PM

Same here, channels 2 and 4 only it seems for me.

#57 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,709 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

Same here, channels 2 and 4 only it seems for me.

joe:
Saw your post at the DirecTV Forum. Your signal readings are too low from the HD satellites. And you're ~100 miles from LA, so you're likely just on the edge of the LA spot beams.

I wonder if that's the issue with other folks who've reported this problem .... far outside LA on the edge of the spotbeam with poor dish alignment.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#58 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:58 PM

joe:
Saw your post at the DirecTV Forum. Your signal readings are too low from the HD satellites. And you're ~100 miles from LA, so you're likely just on the edge of the LA spot beams.

I wonder if that's the issue with other folks who've reported this problem .... far outside LA on the edge of the spotbeam with poor dish alignment.

The spot beams for LA are HUGE! I get reception as far northeast as Laughlin, Nevada and as far southeast as the California/Arizona/Mexican border. People have told me they have no problem getting them in Mammoth, and that is 400+ miles to the north.

#59 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:24 PM

Is KLCS Channel 58-2 new to the Los Angeles HD lineup? I saw it for the first time last night. It was a 480i program (that filled the screen), however when I sorted by HD the channel was included.

FYI - My HR20 set to native/ pillar box

I have the same question. In the guide it is listed by the call letters (something only done with HD channels), and it has HD labels on the programs. Even Direct list this channel as an HD channel on their website, so should it be added?

#60 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:29 PM

The spot beams for LA are HUGE! I get reception as far northeast as Laughlin, Nevada and as far southeast as the California/Arizona/Mexican border. People have told me they have no problem getting them in Mammoth, and that is 400+ miles to the north.

I get it in Mammoth.

BTW, Mammoth is closer to 300 miles away, not 400

Protected By... spam firewall...And...