Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Los Angeles, CA

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:41 AM

I have the same question. In the guide it is listed by the call letters (something only done with HD channels), and it has HD labels on the programs. Even Direct list this channel as an HD channel on their website, so should it be added?

Stations that multicast have the option of which channel they want DirecTV to carry. KLCS chose the .2 channel, IIRC, because that is the one that carries the local PBS for the Inland Empire. 58.1 is the regular PBS feed and is also not in HD. Not sure on that, as I am not home and cannot look at the guide at this time.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#62 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:43 AM

I get it in Mammoth.

BTW, Mammoth is closer to 300 miles away, not 400

Seems like 400 miles at 3am on a Saturday morning when driving up there!

Seems like 4000 miles when coming home at 6pm on Sunday night.

God that is a long (but fun!) weekend.

:D

#63 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:48 AM

Stations that multicast have the option of which channel they want DirecTV to carry. KLCS chose the .2 channel, IIRC, because that is the one that carries the local PBS for the Inland Empire. 58.1 is the regular PBS feed and is also not in HD. Not sure on that, as I am not home and cannot look at the guide at this time.

Just for the record, Channel 24 (KVCR) is the Inland Empire PBS station -- it's completely separate from KLCS.

KLCS's 58-2 carries children's programming.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#64 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:49 PM

You need to add KOCE 50 (PBS) to the LA HD channel list.

#65 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:17 AM

Are we going to add Channel 50 KOCE HD to the first post?

#66 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:22 AM

Please post broadcast issues with DIRECTV satellite delivered HD Local Channels only

DMA: Los Angeles, CA
Established: 1/1/2003

HD Locals available in this DMA

• ABC - KABC (7)
  • CBS - KCBS (2)
  • NBC - KNBC (4)
  • FOX - KTTV (11)
  • PBS - KCET (28)
  • CW - KTLA (5)
  • MNT - KCOP (13)
  • IND - KCAL (9)

For instructions, please visit this thread

PBS Channel 50 KOCE in HD

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1272554468

#67 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:25 AM

You can also add KMEX 34 to the list now as well.

Now Direct carries 10 LA local channels in HD

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1273940988

#68 OFFLINE   cts33fan

cts33fan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:03 PM

KDOC 56 is now showing an HD tag, how do we get DTV to add the HD feed?

#69 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:54 AM

KDOC 56 is now showing an HD tag, how do we get DTV to add the HD feed?

First time since CSU Fullerton was in March Madness and KDOC 56 was used as an overflow channel that I have seen any indication of HD on KDOC. I am seeing the HD tag in the OTA feed guide data for L&O: SVU. May have to check it out, just to see if it is true. I wouldn't hold my breath on it being on DirecTV anytime soon. KDOC just shows reruns and a few local shows like the Poorman's videos show and Wally George repeats. Nothing in HD. We shall see.

Attached Thumbnails

• KDOC-HD.jpg

#70 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,272 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

First time since CSU Fullerton was in March Madness and KDOC 56 was used as an overflow channel that I have seen any indication of HD on KDOC. I am seeing the HD tag in the OTA feed guide data for L&O: SVU. May have to check it out, just to see if it is true. I wouldn't hold my breath on it being on DirecTV anytime soon. KDOC just shows reruns and a few local shows like the Poorman's videos show and Wally George repeats. Nothing in HD. We shall see.

I understand that at least some programming from KDOC is broadcast in HD via direct studio feeds to Cox Cable and TWC. But not OTA as their spectrum is limited by lease agreements with the SEZMI service, and obviously nor is this feed being carried by DirecTV, Dish network or other MSOs at present for reasons to which I have no idea.

#71 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:01 PM

I understand that at least some programming from KDOC is broadcast in HD via direct studio feeds to Cox Cable and TWC. But not OTA as their spectrum is limited by lease agreements with the SEZMI service, and obviously nor is this feed being carried by DirecTV, Dish network or other MSOs at present for reasons to which I have no idea.

So I checked it last night. On my OTA feed it is only 480i pillarboxed. Even during the L&O: SVU episode tagged as HD. If they are giving out an HD feed, it is not being done OTA. That is stupid and the FCC should take their license away for giving their spectrum to another company to send out unrelated content.

#72 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,272 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:12 PM

So I checked it last night. On my OTA feed it is only 480i pillarboxed. Even during the L&O: SVU episode tagged as HD. If they are giving out an HD feed, it is not being done OTA. That is stupid and the FCC should take their license away for giving their spectrum to another company to send out unrelated content.

I think the FCC rule is that a station is legally required to broadcast at least one free unencrypted SD channel. Beyond this minimum mandate however they are free to enter into agreements with any other OTA services like SEZMI for use of their spectrum.

And I would imagine that KDOC would argue their OTA bandwidth limitations aside, they would be more than happy to negotiate with other MSOs like DirecTV to broadcast their direct HD feed as Cox and TWC are doing.

But for a price of course .... ;)

#73 OFFLINE   wooster11

wooster11

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:21 AM

KCET Channel 28 was in HD just a few days ago and has now been broadcasting an SD feed for the last few days. The feed was having some issues. I would sometimes see a pink/purple vertical bar go across the screen from left to right. It did drop completely one day - I don't know how long as I just switched to my OTA feed.

Any idea if the HD feed will be coming back soon? I was interested in The Tenth Inning documentary but couldn't record it in HD as only SD was broadcast.

Update: Here's some more information that's interesting.

It appears to only be happening on one of my receivers.
I have an HR24-100 that will NOT show Channel 28 in HD.
The HD filter on the guide does NOT show channel 28 on this box.

I also have an H24-200 that does show Channel 28 in HD.
The HD filter on the guide does show Channel 28 on this box.

I'm not sure why it's only happening on once of my boxes and it appears to only be affecting this channel.
I've called DirecTV and they opened up with engineering.

I of course have reset my box several times and that hasn't worked.

If anyone has any ideas on a fix, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Edited by wooster11, 30 September 2010 - 12:15 PM.
More details on issue.

#74 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:23 AM

No ideas for you. I am having no problems with KCETHD via DirecTV. Dinosaur Train is in HD right now.

Make sure you have no guide filters on.
Make sure SD duplicates are turned off.
Enter 28 directly in the remote and see if it tunes to KCETHD or KCET (look in the upper left-hand corner)
Restart the receiver.
Call for Tech Support.

#75 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:09 AM

Directv needs to pick up KDOC in HD.
It's only tv!

#76 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:40 PM

Directv needs to pick up KDOC in HD.

Not worth the bandwidth. Nothing in HD. They had an overflow game in HD from March Madness on when CSU Northridge was playing a few years ago. Never seen anything since.

#77 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:14 AM

Not worth the bandwidth. Nothing in HD. They had an overflow game in HD from March Madness on when CSU Northridge was playing a few years ago. Never seen anything since.

HUH? They have Anaheim Ducks in HD, SEC Saturday morning football, Star Trek series in HD.

If you are talking about Over-The-Air KDOC, then you are right. The OTA signal is not in HD. KDOC has a HD feed to cable providers where there is HD programming. Directv can get in on this too.
It's only tv!

#78 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:15 PM

NHL Anaheim Ducks games are in HD. And they have the broadcast rights to at least 10 or 15 games each season.

I have to watch them in SD now :(

#79 OFFLINE   w6fxj

w6fxj

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:26 PM

After switching from KCET to KOCE for PBS programming I have noticed this sound problem:

Dolby Digital is in the 5.1 mode full time. The front two channels are also fed to the two surround channels, causing the front channels to be heard just as loud from the rear speakers.

I made sure my audio system was set up to play Dolby Digital 5.1. Old KCET programs recorded last year play back Dolby Digital 5.1 just fine. Dolby Digital on other LA channels such as KCBS, KNBC, KABC work as they should. This problem only appears on KOCE. Since I live over the mountains in Barstow, I can NOT pick up KOCE-DT off the air.

Does anyone else in the LA area hear the same problem with DirecTV's KOCE channel 50?

#80 OFFLINE   w6fxj

w6fxj

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

I was finally able to reach Ken, of the KOCE Engineering department, on the telephone. He said they do not have the right Dolby Digital encoding equipment yet and have been transmitting psudo-5.1 by putting the front channels on the rear channels. He is trying to get management's permission to just use the two front channels until the 5.1 stuff is installed.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...