Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Los Angeles, CA

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:42 PM

Okay... Anaheim Ducks NHL Playoffs are here.... and SD-Only KDOC has the broadcast rights for all of the home games. Anyone else majorly pissed off about that?
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:31 PM

Okay... Anaheim Ducks NHL Playoffs are here.... and SD-Only KDOC has the broadcast rights for all of the home games. Anyone else majorly pissed off about that?

Yeah, this guy who just moved from Newport Beach to Eugene, OR. I don't get the games at all!

#83 OFFLINE   boogie

boogie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:26 PM

KDOC-56 is now delivered in HD on DIRECTV

#84 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:36 PM

KDOC-56 is now delivered in HD on DIRECTV

DUDE!! Awesome news!

It's been live for about 3 weeks already apparently....But since I haven't watched all Ducks games as of late, I didn't notice!

Lets go DUCKS!
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#85 OFFLINE   dickiegreenlee

dickiegreenlee

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:16 PM

Just discovered the HD feed of KDOC this afternoon for myself! I've had NWA Hollywood Wrestling (Saturdays at 4PM) as a Series Recording for months. I happened to be home today and when I turned to KDOC to watch live, it was the first time I'd seen it in HD, so I guess my series recording had still been set to the SD feed for the last 5/6 weeks. Nice surprise!

#86 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

According to this: http://www.dbstalk.c...883#post3035883

KVEA on Channel 52 is going full-time HD soon, it just launched in "test".

I am the Stig.

#87 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,893 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

Just discovered the HD feed of KDOC this afternoon for myself! I've had NWA Hollywood Wrestling (Saturdays at 4PM) as a Series Recording for months. I happened to be home today and when I turned to KDOC to watch live, it was the first time I'd seen it in HD, so I guess my series recording had still been set to the SD feed for the last 5/6 weeks. Nice surprise!

Yeah ... its a bit strange though when KDOC first launched on DIRECTV it was carried in 1080i as was KDOC's OTA signal.

However, a little while ago KDOC switched to broadcasting in 720p off-air, yet the DIRECTV feed is still in 1080i. :confused:

KDOC must be sending a separate fiber or microwave feed in 1080i to DIRECTV and a 720p one on their STL to the transmitter or something.

#88 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

--

Edited by maartena, 21 June 2012 - 07:50 PM.
Removed, not relevant.

I am the Stig.

#89 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

624 KVEA 52 A3 Los Angeles 52 KVEA TMO Telemundo television services from KVEADT-TV, 52, Los Angeles, CA.
624 KWHY 22 A3 Los Angeles 22 KWHY IND Independent television services from KWHYDT-TV, 22, Los Angeles, CA.
624 KFTR 46 A3 Los Angeles 46 KFTR TFT Telefutura television services from KFTRDT-TV, 46, Los Angeles, CA.
624 KJLA 57 A3 Los Angeles 57 KJLA IND Independent television services from KJLADT-TV, 57, Los Angeles, CA.
624 KAZA 54 A3 Los Angeles 54 KAZA AZA AZA television services from KAZADT-TV, 54, Los Angeles, CA.

624 KVCR2 24 A3 Los Angeles 24-2 KVCR IND Independent television services from KVCRDT-TV, 24-2, Los Angeles, CA.

Just a note, the above stations were added a week or so ago in Los Angeles. All the HD ones were already carried in SD, and the 24-2 sub channel seems to be a new SD.

BLUE = HD
RED = SD

I am the Stig.

#90 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,893 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

624 KVEA 52 A3 Los Angeles 52 KVEA TMO Telemundo television services from KVEADT-TV, 52, Los Angeles, CA.
624 KWHY 22 A3 Los Angeles 22 KWHY IND Independent television services from KWHYDT-TV, 22, Los Angeles, CA.
624 KFTR 46 A3 Los Angeles 46 KFTR TFT Telefutura television services from KFTRDT-TV, 46, Los Angeles, CA.
624 KJLA 57 A3 Los Angeles 57 KJLA IND Independent television services from KJLADT-TV, 57, Los Angeles, CA.
624 KAZA 54 A3 Los Angeles 54 KAZA AZA AZA television services from KAZADT-TV, 54, Los Angeles, CA.

624 KVCR2 24 A3 Los Angeles 24-2 KVCR IND Independent television services from KVCRDT-TV, 24-2, Los Angeles, CA.

Just a note, the above stations were added a week or so ago in Los Angeles. All the HD ones were already carried in SD, and the 24-2 sub channel seems to be a new SD.

BLUE = HD
RED = SD

Though KWHY's "Ind." (Independent) status may soon be relabeled as "MundoFox" between now and 8/13 perhaps as the new network formally launches.

http://en.wikipedia....cast_affiliates

And yes, 24-2 is a specialty secondary sub-channel from KVCR called "FNX" for "First Nations Experience." A channel dedicated to programming for Native Americans.

Have to admit I was a bit bummed as I was hoping to get KVCR's (PBS) main HD sub 24-1 as I can't receive it OTA and the only PBS station carried in HD by DIRECTV is KOCE-50 with KCET-28's well publicized exit a while back.

#91 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

KVCR is the closest thing to a network affiliate that California's Inland Empire region has. They do some excellent work there especially considering their budgetary constraints.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#92 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,893 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:05 PM

KVCR is the closest thing to a network affiliate that California's Inland Empire region has. They do some excellent work there especially considering their budgetary constraints.

I think so too, and much prefer their PBS programming over KOCE's. KOCE promised to pick up the baton and step it up when KCET left the PBS fold, but I haven't really seen it.

So needless to say I was initially on a high when I first saw gct post KVCR as up in test, until I looked over to the right side of the listing and saw it was for channel "24-2" not "-1" then I sank down to Death Valley. :(

#93 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

I noticed KCET has up-converted some of the more recent Huell Howser shows. Nice. :D

I am the Stig.

#94 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

Is LA hogging all the spot beam hd space? Seems like San Diego is getting screwed as Directv focuses on the larger market.
It's only tv!

#95 OFFLINE   RobertDeckman

RobertDeckman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:40 AM

Use the am21 tuner with my hd box and channel 5-3 isn't listed. The channel can easily be tuned on the tv, but not the DVR. I wrote to directv but have been getting the runaround.

#96 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,893 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

Use the am21 tuner with my hd box and channel 5-3 isn't listed. The channel can easily be tuned on the tv, but not the DVR. I wrote to directv but have been getting the runaround.

Long story reasonably short ...

The AM21(N) connected to DIRECTV's H/HR2X series receivers do not scan off-air for channels but rely on a local OTA channel database file downloaded from the satellite which tells the receiver/AM21 combo where to tune for any off-air channel. Therefore if its not in the database, you cannot receive it.

I tried for years to get DIRECTV to add KTLA 5-3 (this TV) to their off-air database ever since KTLA moved it there from its former home 5-2 in favor of Antenna TV. They still refuse for reasons unclear to this day, and the CSRs are totally clueless so don't even bother with them.

Your only option (though maybe expensive) at the moment is to get an HR34 which actually does scan OTA for channels and will list channel 5-3 as well as many othes not listed in the database. But remember it still relies on the same OTA database from satellite d/l which means is has no guide data listed for 5-3 or others like it. Just a continuos time block labeled "Regular Schedule"

So you must check the internet for guide information and use manual recordings for it.

#97 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,112 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

Long story reasonably short ...

Your only option (though maybe expensive) at the moment is to get an HR34 which actually does scan OTA for channels and will list channel 5-3 as well as many othes not listed in the database. But remember it still relies on the same OTA database from satellite d/l which means is has no guide data listed for 5-3 or others like it. Just a continuos time block labeled "Regular Schedule"

So you must check the internet for guide information and use manual recordings for it.

We have a slew of channels which DirecTV does not carry in it's guide here in Atlanta (doesn't help to have 3 or 4 LP's each running 15 to 20 sub-channels) but I have never successfully been able to do a manual record on a channel whose program block is labeled as "Regular Schedule".
FYI, I have 4 set (2 who happen to have been set for over a year) and they all are ignored.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#98 OFFLINE   samthegam

samthegam

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:15 AM

Is there a problem with the KABC HD feed on channel 7. On several occasions during weekends or weekday late night the audio will drop out for seconds at a time but picture remains fine. On a few of those occasions the video was replaced by DirecTV technical difficulties screen with music. This also happens on the ABC west feed on 397. 

spam firewall