Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Raleigh-Durham, NC

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   abierce512

abierce512

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

Same in Morrisville no locals

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   sean10780

sean10780

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

Same here in Raleigh

#83 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

Chapel Hill NC without HD locals. SD locals are ok. Anyone know what the problem is?
DirecTV customer since 1995

#84 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,048 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

I do not know how the signals are routed to DirecTV, but I suspect that power outages along the east coast due to Sandy might have something to do with it.

#85 OFFLINE   sean10780

sean10780

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

Just saw this on wral.com:

Program Alert: DirecTV's HD signal is out in several parts of the viewing area. WRAL-TV is working with DirecTV to fix the problem.

#86 OFFLINE   crimpshrine

crimpshrine

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

I'm in the Greenville, NC area and all of my local channels are out. Wonder if my area is having the same trouble as Raleigh?

#87 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

I just posted a thread before I saw this one, but we are out also in Charleston, SC

#88 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

From Facebook:

DirecTV
Important Alert: Due to a fiber outage customers in the markets listed below are experiencing HD channel signal issues. While we work on restoring the signals as quick as possible, please know you may still watch the SD channels in your market.

Markets include Albany NY, Atlanta GA, Baltimore MD, Bangor ME, Beaumont TX, Boston MA, Charleston SC, Charlotte NC, Florence - Myrtle Beach SC, Fort Myers FL, Gainesville FL, Greensboro NC, Greenville NC, Harrisburg PA, Hartford CT, Hattiesburg MS, Jackson MS, Jacksonville FL, Lake Charles LA, Miami FL, New York NY, Norfolk VA, Orlando FL, Philadelphia PA, Portland ME, Providence RI, Raleigh NC, Richmond VA, Savannah GA, Springfield MA, Tampa FL, West Palm Beach FL, and Wilkes Barre PA.

For continued information stay tuned to our Hurricane Sandy Channel numbers 325 and 349.

Thank you and stay safe.
Like · · Share · 1628942 · 10 minutes ago ·
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#89 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

That's a crazy grouping there of markets...

#90 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

Getting major audio stuttering on NBC 17(WNCN) here... Started at 9pm EST and still happening now at 10:30pm....

Seems its losing Dolby digital sound every fee seconds for some reason...whole picture stutter slightly when the audio stutter happens... Tried multiple boxes all the same too...

Sent from my EVO using DBSTalk mobile app

#91 OFFLINE   webhype

webhype

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts
  • LocationRaleigh/Durham, NC

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

been noticing a lot of video artifact issues on WNCN NBC17 HD since the beginnning of March, not seeing them when recording OTA using my AM21 tuner.

#92 OFFLINE   MattWarner

MattWarner

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:41 AM

You're not the only one, webhype.  I had an email exchange with the chief engineer of WNCN this week.  He opened a ticket with DirecTV on Wednesday to troubleshoot the problem, but I'm still seeing it this morning.  Hopefully, it will be resolved soon.

• webhype likes this

#93 OFFLINE   webhype

webhype

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

after blowing through a bunch of Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon episodes I on had on the DVR, issue first started appearing on 3/6/14.

#94 OFFLINE   rmizelle

rmizelle

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

Dave at DirecTV called me this morning to report they have not been able to see this issue with WNCN. He said they had put us up on the big screen and have not detected any artifacts at all. I told him Matt had shown me this forum and you guys nailed march 6th as the day it started. I asked if DirecTV had downloaded any software updates, and he said they (the monitoring folks) were not told of any updates until they began seeing issues, so that is a definate possibility. Of course, they are looking at the raw signal and not from a consumer DVR.

Could you guys take a look in your menus to see if an update may have reset your settings? Just look for something that makes no sense, like a reduction in bitrate or storage settings. I'm not sure what to tell you to look for, but it sounds like something throttled down your bitrate to increase storage space or something wierd like that. It may be related to a few particular models, but it really sounds like some setting got changed to affect the video quality.

I urged them to keep the ticket open and keep monitoring, so they are looking at it.

Also, is it only during NBC shows, or all the time?

#95 OFFLINE   MattWarner

MattWarner

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

Hi Russell.  The problem is on both local programming and national.  Seems to be more visible in darker images.  There are no bitrate settings in DirecTV's receivers,  Basically, it just records the stream it is sent.

Hope that helps...

-Matt

#96 OFFLINE   MattWarner

MattWarner

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:47 PM

Looks like DirecTV found the problem.  6pm news looks great and NBC Nightly News looks great as well.  Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

• webhype likes this

#97 OFFLINE   webhype

webhype

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:22 PM

I agree the issues appear to be resolved, the NBC Nightly News and the Tonight Show from today look fine.  Played an older version of the Late Night with Seth Meyers, along with a Grimm from 3/7 and sure enough the artifacts were there.

Thanks for getting this cleared up (pun intended) :joy:

#98 OFFLINE   Opie

Opie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

Parenthood was practically unwatchable for a few weeks there - made me sign up for the equipment plan. Glad to see it fixed - shouldn't take 3 weeks tho.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

spam firewall