Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Memphis, TN

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:11 PM

April 20th and counting. Still no HD for Channel 3 newscasts. Anyone out there in the mid-south have any insight as to why we aren't seeing News Channel 3 in HD yet?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:28 PM

April 20th and counting. Still no HD for Channel 3 newscasts. Anyone out there in the mid-south have any insight as to why we aren't seeing News Channel 3 in HD yet?

ron.walter@wreg.com
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#23 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:02 AM

A delay was announced due to technical difficulties with the computer systems... but I haven't seen an estimated "live" date yet.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#24 OFFLINE   charper1

charper1

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:26 PM

I am noticing increased audio dropouts on WHBQ / FOX 13 Memphis on DirecTV HD; is this an issue with DirecTV or the affiliate feed as all my other locals are OK? Thanks

#25 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:47 PM

I am noticing increased audio dropouts on WHBQ / FOX 13 Memphis on DirecTV HD; is this an issue with DirecTV or the affiliate feed as all my other locals are OK? Thanks

I haven't noticed it OTA so I would think with D*. Any particular shows?
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#26 OFFLINE   BahnBurner

BahnBurner

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:53 PM

I'm having the exact same issues. I couldn't watch the Simpsons due to the drop outs, but oddly enough the Cleveland show was just fine. I called D* and was told it was a dish alignment issue, yet all my signals are ~95-99%.

#27 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:28 PM

Does anyone have any information when Channel 3's news will be HD? They were supposed to change over to HD back in April, but never have yet. What is the holdup there?

#28 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:01 PM

Well tonight was the night. I just watched Newschannel 3 in HD. After they were suppose to go HD on the newscast back on April 19th, 2010 they finally were in HD tonight Monday June 14th 2010. Sweet! Now the only channel not in Full Time HD on their newscasts in Memphis is ABC24 WPTY.

#29 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:21 PM

It was in HD last night too. Not liking the graphics and the anchors color looks off.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#30 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:26 AM

Yeah I agree with you mx6bfast. Newschannel 3's graphics suck right now. They could have done a better job. I also don't like the new weather maps they have. Just eye blur. And the volume at times is too low during the news. I have to turn my volume way up on the television to hear the news and then when they go to a commercial the volume BLASTS me out of the room because the commercial volumes are so much louder. It's unbelievable how HD is supposed to be so much better but they can't get it all right. Now maybe in a year or two we will see ABC24 WPTY go HD on their newscasts. That is the WORST station in America as far as I am concearned for Local News. No Other ABC Station in the country looks as bad as ABC24 in Memphis. That station needs serious upgrades.

Edited by Msguy, 16 June 2010 - 08:34 AM.

#31 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

Now maybe in a year or two we will see ABC24 WPTY go HD on their newscasts. That is the WORST station in America as far as I am concearned for Local News. No Other ABC Station in the country looks as bad as ABC24 in Memphis. That station needs serious upgrades.

AMEN brother! You know it is bad when their area graphics doesn't completely overlay the video. You can see the outline of the graphic.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#32 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:17 PM

Is anyone else having trouble with Memphis Locals in HD Tonight?

#33 OFFLINE   hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:45 PM

Yes, watching Chuck right now (recorded off D* feed) and it is having issues.

#34 OFFLINE   Gary*W*

Gary*W*

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:00 AM

I had issues last night with D* locals noticed it in time to move recordings to OTA and they at least 13-1 & 5-1 OTA were fine

#35 OFFLINE   PatrickGSR94

PatrickGSR94

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:44 PM

So what is this I hear about WMC-TV may not be on D* after 31 December??? :eek2:

#36 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:03 PM

WMC Channel 5 is a Raycom owned channel and the retransmission agreement supposedly ends on December 31st. I read where this is not the only Raycom Station affected. Hopefully DirecTv and this and other Raycom Stations can come to an agreement to be retransmitted on DirecTv so we won't lose this NBC Local.

#37 OFFLINE   PatrickGSR94

PatrickGSR94

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:33 PM

Sweet, they have an agreement through 2014 :allthumbs

#38 OFFLINE   Gary*W*

Gary*W*

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:55 AM

The crawl about the Raycom / D* contract issue re appeared last night during the football game

#39 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:07 AM

Has anyone, other than me noticed that the HD on WPTY looks A LOT like SD? I especially notice it during NCAA football broadcasts. Switching to and from ESPN makes it REALLY noticable!
Charter Digital Cable(w/FREE HD)
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Mitsubishi WD-65738 via HDMI(through Yamaha RX-V673)-networked w/Buffalo WAP
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Dynex DX-32L150A11 via HDMI

#40 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:29 AM

Has anyone, other than me noticed that the HD on WPTY looks A LOT like SD? I especially notice it during NCAA football broadcasts. Switching to and from ESPN makes it REALLY noticable!

I think a lot of it has to do with the poor PQ on ABC/ESPN games to begin with. Add that to the compression at the station, then retransmitting it, and this is what you get. I noticed they finally started airing the tape-delayed Jimmy Kimmel episodes in HD.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...