Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Harrisburg, PA

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   cheerioboy26

cheerioboy26

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:22 PM

I have seen the same problem as well. I also have an OTA antenna - it is pointed at Philly but I usually receive 8-1 pretty well although I don't use it for NBC season passes. I will have to check the news using 8-1 and see how it looks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:40 AM

I got a call from D* that they forwarded the info I submitted to their engineering/broadcast dept. I told D* what the guy at WGAL told me about WGAL's offer to supply D* with the WGAL feed via fiber instead of OTA. The D* guy had no knowledge of this. Hopefully, it gets fixed soon.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#23 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:40 PM

Update - Parts of WGAL's digital programming through D* last night was unwatchable at times.
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#24 OFFLINE   Beefcake

Beefcake

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:47 PM

Finally, others have discovered WGAL's HD feed sucks! This has been going on for over a month now and is indeed "unwatchable" sometimes. I have asked many others in my local area if they were experiencing any issues w/ WGAL and the story is always the same. The HD feed is horrible at times, but the SD has no hiccups. I have been informing frustrated friends that it isn't their system; it's channel 8. Now that playoff football is on NBC many more will notice and this will most likely generate svc calls that cannot be fixed, which leads to unhappy customers. Thanks for letting me vent DBS talkers!
AU9 Slimline3
LR- HR21-100>52" Samsung LCD
LR- H23-600>19" Polaroid LCD
Master BR HR20-700>32" Samsung LCD mirrored to Kit Tv(RCA)
Spare HR20-100 and R15-100

#25 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:20 PM

Finally, others have discovered WGAL's HD feed sucks! This has been going on for over a month now and is indeed "unwatchable" sometimes. I have asked many others in my local area if they were experiencing any issues w/ WGAL and the story is always the same. The HD feed is horrible at times, but the SD has no hiccups. I have been informing frustrated friends that it isn't their system; it's channel 8. Now that playoff football is on NBC many more will notice and this will most likely generate svc calls that cannot be fixed, which leads to unhappy customers. Thanks for letting me vent DBS talkers!

I STRONGLY recommend contacting WGAL and D*. I've been in contact with both since mid-November to no avail. The SD feed is via fiber, so that is why it looks ok. The HD feed is OTA. WGAL offered a fiber feed of WGAL-DT that D* declined, according to WGAL.

D* keeps telling me that I am the only person complaining about WGAL. Until more people complain, they probably won't do anything. Look to the date of my original post above. All of the local HD channels from D* have had some minor problems from time to time, but WGAL has been very bad A LOT of the time and is unwatched very often. Please call and email D*.

Email Bob Good at WGAL to complain - rgood@hearst.com

Several of us have been reporting these issues on the Harrisburg HDTV Yahoo forum as well.

Edited by n3ntj, 04 January 2009 - 01:59 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   BobZ

BobZ

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

I am having the same severe pixilation issues with WGAL and have been for the last several months.

I just finished sending an email to Bob Good of WGAL and will call D* as well.

#27 OFFLINE   Beefcake

Beefcake

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:40 PM

I STRONGLY recommend contacting WGAL and D*. I've been in contact with both since mid-November to no avail. The SD feed is via fiber, so that is why it looks ok. The HD 0feed is OTA. WGAL offered a fiber feed of WGAL-DT that D* declined, according to WGAL.

D* keeps telling me that I am the only person complaining about WGAL. Until more people complain, they probably won't do anything. Look to the date of my original post above. All of the local HD channels from D* have had some minor problems from time to time, but WGAL has been very bad A LOT of the time and is unwatched very often. Please call and email D*.

Email Bob Good at WGAL to complain - rgood@hearst.com

Several of us have been reporting these issues on the Harrisburg HDTV Yahoo forum as well.

I know how you feel. I started a thread on Nov. 10 or 11 about 103 spotbeams (thinking it was possibly my system). After realizing that it was a problem that I couldn't fix, I began to survey the locals in my area. Should I contact D* or WGAL? It sounds like WGAL has offered to remedy the problem and now the pressure should be put on D*.
AU9 Slimline3

#28 OFFLINE   wrxg33k

wrxg33k

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:20 PM

I have been having audio issues with WGAL/NBC for some time now. Every 2 - 3 minutes there is a slight audio glitch - less than 1 second. It was quite noticeable tonight during superstars of dance. It does it when the audio is set to my surround sound and the tv alone. It also does it when I force the receiver to a set audio type of pro logic and when I let the receiver auto detect the audio signal type. I will email WGAL.

#29 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:54 PM

Yes, please keep the pressure on D* and WGAL about these repeated issues. Call and email both daily, if you have to. It appears no one is doing anything about the problem yet, from what D* tells me whenever I call or email to complain. Each time I call, D* tells me no one else has complained about their WGAL-DT feed, but they see I have called in several times from their records.

WGAL reported a few weeks ago that they know of some audio problems and it is related to their digital signal's transmission, but is no way related to the pixelating issues we're all been saying. I emailed Bob Good at WGAL my screen shots that I DVR'd of the intense pixelation and he responded as such. Personally, I haven't really noticed any audio issues with WGAL. All of my problems have been video in nature..sometimes it's minor and other times it is major and lasts 30~60 minutes.

Last night, I was watching the Saturday Night Live Sports show that I recorded on WGAL @ 7pm Sunday. The last half hour was totally unwatchable. Whenever I do switch over to OTA when the D* feed is bad, the WGAL-DT OTA signal is fine; the D* delivered WGAL-DT is the one with the problems.

Let's keep up the pressure on WGAL and D*. I know WGAL has little control over the issue, but since they are directly affected, they may have more pull with D* than any residential customer. Feel free to post your correspondences with WGAL or D* here, unless thread rules forbid this.

#30 OFFLINE   wrxg33k

wrxg33k

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:52 PM

I have not heard back from WGAL yet...

#31 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:51 PM

Did you also contact D* (email and/or phone)?

#32 OFFLINE   Beefcake

Beefcake

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:13 PM

Just a follow up. I called D* and made them aware of the issue. After explaining everything I know, they said that they would send my complaint up the food chain to someone who can look more into it.
I also have made contact with the local Harrisburg office and they assured me that D* is aware of the problem and is working on it. I honestly don't know if I believe them or not, but here's to hoping the problem gets fixed.
AU9 Slimline3

#33 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:56 PM

Thanks for contacting them. Hopefully this will get fixed soon.

#34 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:28 PM

Has anyone noticed that the other HD LILs in our area also have been having some issues lately? I noticed WHTM-DT (27) and WHP-DT (21) have had some break-ups lately, but still nothing as bad as WGAL-DT (8) is almost on a nightly basis. I hope D* works out these problems soon.

#35 OFFLINE   Beefcake

Beefcake

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

I have seen it on ABC 27, but it not even remotely as bad as WGAL. Maybe after it happening during the Super Bowl everyone in central PA will start to complain! I wish NBC wasn't carrying the game this year just because of this stupid issue.
AU9 Slimline3

#36 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:00 PM

I recently received this email from Bob Good at WGAL:

"You are right, our over the air feed does not have the severe problems that exist on DirecTV. The fact is that we have very little impact on making DirecTV do anything. We have tried and tried but nothing ever seems to change. We continue to work on this matter but it has proven to be very frustrating. We have spent money to have experts come in and evaluate our signal to see if there is anything specific to our signal that would cause this problem at DirecTV. I do know that we are using some of the most expensive encoding equipment available and it does do some things slightly differently than other encoders (the process is to provide the highest picture quality). The experts feel that our signal is fine but we having them take another look at it on Monday.

As far as fiber goes, some at DirecTV agree with us and they seem to think the conversion of the present fiber feed (between WGAL and DirecTV for the analog programming) to HD would be a great idea but others at DirecTV (who can make things happen) do not respond. I think they want to remove the circuit so they can save money."

The next logical step for WGAL and D* would be to convert the current analog feed via fiber to their WGAL-DT feed in mid-Feb. I would think this would mean the least work and least $$$ for both involved, and providing the viewers with the best product, a clean, non-pixellating TV signal that we can watch reliably. This is NOT what we currently get.

I would continue to recommend all of you to continue to report your issues with WGAL-DT and any other local digital station here on dbstalk.com and call D* to also report these problems. Whenever I call D*, they act as though I am reporting this problem for the first time (I've actually been reporting it since Nov.) and seem unwilling to thoroughly investigate and fix the problem correctly.

#37 OFFLINE   BDP

BDP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:28 PM

I am also in Central PA and see this same problem on this channel. It's awful. Glad to see there are others who are not accepting this quality either.

I don't watch a lot of channels, and hardly any SD feels, but of all the HD fees, this is the worst for the dropouts and stutters. Typically when I am watching or recording a program during primetime, like Thursday night on a 1/2 hour program like the office, I'll have 2 dropouts each half hour. I have not checked to see if there is a timing issue between them in regular intervals or what.

So it sounds like talking to WGAL isn't going to matter because DirecTV are the problem here? And it sounds like calling DTV will get us nowhere?

What do we do here? I agree this is going to be an annoyance to all my guests for the Superbowl this year. After seeing that I bet they are all going to be glad they stuck with Comcast and didn't get DTV. Especially if the dropout happens during a big play. My dropouts cause an audio stutter, picture freeze with garbage/artifacts, and a loss of around 5 seconds of audio and video each time. We miss whole jokes, punchlines, etc when watching comedy shows, etc.

It truly STINKS.

#38 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:34 PM

Just a follow up. I called D* and made them aware of the issue. After explaining everything I know, they said that they would send my complaint up the food chain to someone who can look more into it.
I also have made contact with the local Harrisburg office and they assured me that D* is aware of the problem and is working on it. I honestly don't know if I believe them or not, but here's to hoping the problem gets fixed.

Just curious.. what do you mean by "the local Harrisburg office"?

An aside.. can you local guys please post your signal strengths for the 103(s) satellite for transponders 15 and 16? Supposedly our local HD locals are on transponder 15, yet I only get a mid-70s reading, and transponder 16 is 100 for me.

Edited by n3ntj, 29 January 2009 - 02:40 PM.

#39 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:38 PM

I am also in Central PA and see this same problem on this channel. It's awful. Glad to see there are others who are not accepting this quality either.

I don't watch a lot of channels, and hardly any SD feels, but of all the HD fees, this is the worst for the dropouts and stutters. Typically when I am watching or recording a program during primetime, like Thursday night on a 1/2 hour program like the office, I'll have 2 dropouts each half hour. I have not checked to see if there is a timing issue between them in regular intervals or what.

So it sounds like talking to WGAL isn't going to matter because DirecTV are the problem here? And it sounds like calling DTV will get us nowhere?

What do we do here? I agree this is going to be an annoyance to all my guests for the Superbowl this year. After seeing that I bet they are all going to be glad they stuck with Comcast and didn't get DTV. Especially if the dropout happens during a big play. My dropouts cause an audio stutter, picture freeze with garbage/artifacts, and a loss of around 5 seconds of audio and video each time. We miss whole jokes, punchlines, etc when watching comedy shows, etc.

It truly STINKS.

All I can suggest is to continue to call D* (1-800-DIRECTV) and email D* (via their website) about these continued problems. D* and WGAL say the problem is being worked on, but I won't believe it until I see reliable PQ without dropouts and without pixelation.

I agree it stinks for us in this area that NBC has the SuperBowl this year (errr... the "Big Game" as some lamely call it) and I will be watching OTA on WGAL-DT 8.1 this year. As we can all probably expect, we may miss an important play or something if we watch on the D* WGAL feed.

Keep up the fight and keep calling D* until someone fixes this problem!

#40 OFFLINE   dewd

dewd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:58 PM

No problem with WGAL for the Superbowl. Hopefully things are fixed for good.

spam firewall