Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Harrisburg, PA

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   jrodfoo

jrodfoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:46 AM

if you go to the directv website, it says the DC Locals are now available along with the Harrisburg HD locals in my parents zipcode, 17044, is this correct?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Piratefan98

Piratefan98

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:27 PM

if you go to the directv website, it says the DC Locals are now available along with the Harrisburg HD locals in my parents zipcode, 17044, is this correct?

On the DirecTV website, it says the same for my zip code (17325), but the DC locals aren't showing up on my guide. I'm still just getting the Harrisburg locals.

Jeff

#53 OFFLINE   jrodfoo

jrodfoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:42 PM

On the DirecTV website, it says the same for my zip code (17325), but the DC locals aren't showing up on my guide. I'm still just getting the Harrisburg locals.

Jeff

yeah, I thought it was curious and wanted to see what was up with that. probably just a glitch perhaps on the website? Thanks for checking..

#54 OFFLINE   chewwy420

chewwy420

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:03 PM

So according to the guide (browse Channel) in the iphone DTV App, it is showing all the DC locals. I did a check in my guide on my HR20 and the only one that shows up is CW channel 50 out of DC. If I tune to it it says "program not available in your area." Wonder if they are going to be adding them. Would like to see Philly before DC, as I am on the edge of the Harrisburg market and Philly is closer then DC. The local cable company carries both Harrisburg and Philly.

#55 OFFLINE   chewwy420

chewwy420

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:29 PM

Wonder if they will ever add CW15 to the HD lineup!

#56 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,744 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

Pixellation issues on WPMT Fox 43 the past 7~10 days

Has anyone else been having all sorts of pixelation and picture break-ups with WPMT Fox 43 the past week or so? I've noticed this only on Fox 43 and no issues on the other HD locals we get from D*. I've confirmed this problem on my HR20-700 and HR22-100.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#57 OFFLINE   John R. Metzger

John R. Metzger

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:32 PM

I am seeing the same thing here in Lewistown.

#58 OFFLINE   dlh

dlh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:50 PM

Pixellation issues on WPMT Fox 43 the past 7~10 days

same here in Chambersburg

#59 OFFLINE   BDP

BDP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:18 PM

Anyone still have problems on WGAL 8 as well? I get a freeze and sound jitter pretty much every 10 minutes or so on the HD feed and it's done that for the past 6 months.

#60 OFFLINE   John R. Metzger

John R. Metzger

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:59 AM

No problems with WGAL but WPMT was awful during the All-Star Game last night!

#61 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:21 PM

I have had no issues with WGAL in a while..back over the winter, WGAL was terrible via D*, but since around March, apparently D* and/or WGAL fixed that issue. I had contacted D* and WGAL numerous times over the 4 or 5 month span to report the problem.

I've been having to watch either WPMT OTA or WFTX (from Phily) OTA for Fox programming. Has anyone formally reported this issue with WPMT to D* yet? I don't know if posting the issue here is enough, as I don't know if anyone responsibly for HD locals reads this form..

maybe Doug can shed some light on this?

DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#62 OFFLINE   John R. Metzger

John R. Metzger

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:39 PM

I reported it to a CSR last evening. She said she would report the problem.

#63 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:58 PM

I reported it to a CSR last evening. She said she would report the problem.

Thanks. I will send D* an email as well. If only 1 or 2 customers complain, D* assumes it's an equipment problem. The more customers who complain about a channel, the more likely D* may actually look into the problem as something on their end or the station's end.

#64 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:23 PM

I ask that all of you with this same WPMT Fox 43 problem to contact D* either via phone or email.

#65 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:42 PM

WPMT still has repeated pixellation issues from the D* HD feed. Has anyone else called or emailed D* about this? I emailed and was told it was the first time anyone told D*. Not sure if that's true or not. C'mon folks, if you're having the same problem, let D* know so we can get this fixed.

#66 OFFLINE   John R. Metzger

John R. Metzger

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:19 PM

I just reported the problem with Channel 43 again. I told them that I had reported it on July 15th and been told that they would send it through. I also told them that someone else had reported it today and been told that no one else had notified them of the problem.

#67 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:59 AM

Thanks John. Let's keep them on top of this so it gets fixed. It took 3 or 4 months for them to get the WGAL pixelation issue fixed earlier this year.

#68 OFFLINE   TERRYB2241

TERRYB2241

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:05 PM

I just talked to a John in the engineering department of channel 43 and he said there have numerous calls about the signal with DirecTV. They picking up the signal off the air in Harrisburg and sending it to Colorado. He has talked with DirecTV numerous times. He said we need to keep contacting DirecTV to resolve the problem. If you look back on this thread you will see that WGAL is now sending their signal to DirecTV by fiber and the problem has gone away. When I switch to my cheap $15 antenna I have no problem with the signal from 43. I am located in Harrisburg is have my antenna in the attic. It is a omni-directional FM antenna that I am using that cost me $15.

#69 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:22 PM

Do we know for sure that WGAL is sending their signal to D* via fiber? I wasn't aware we knew that for sure. I do know that when WGAL had dual analog/digital feeds, that they were sending their analog feed to D* via fiber and digital feed was OTA pickup. I got that info directly from an engineer at WGAL. We don't know what D* is using for WGAL now, but that may be using fiber since their signal is very clean now.

I got the engineer from WGAL to contact D* and the issue was soon fixed. Can we possibly get WPMT to contact D*? I would think they'd have more pull than us.

As for WPMT, we just gotta keep complaining to D* about it. Send them emails, call D*.. whatever we gotta do to get this fixed. It took months to get the WGAL issue fixed.. let's hope it doesn't take this long with WPMT. I agree that the WPMT OTA feed is clean.

#70 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:06 AM

The WPMT pixelation is still alive and well. No fix so far. I've contacted D* several times the past few weeks and all I get is "they are aware of it". At least, they're not still telling me I am the first person to report it..

Anyone have a contact person for WPMT?

#71 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:22 AM

The WPMT pixelation is still alive and well. No fix so far. I've contacted D* several times the past few weeks and all I get is "they are aware of it". At least, they're not still telling me I am the first person to report it..

Anyone have a contact person for WPMT?

They have a website with a link to email the chief engineer.

#72 OFFLINE   TERRYB2241

TERRYB2241

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:17 PM

I just talked to DirecTV amd they told me they are aware of the problem and are working on it. She said they have no idea when the problem will be fixed. I guess we just need to keep calling. The more complaints maybe it gets moved up on the priority list.

#73 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:33 PM

I just talked to DirecTV amd they told me they are aware of the problem and are working on it. She said they have no idea when the problem will be fixed. I guess we just need to keep calling. The more complaints maybe it gets moved up on the priority list.

Yep, keep calling and emailing D* until this gets fixed. I emailed WPMT and got a response with D* copied to the response. Apparently, quite a few viewers have contacted WPMT.

#74 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:45 PM

Update from WPMT.. they and D* are working on the pixelation issues that have been affecting WPMT for the past month or 2. Hope it gets worked out very soon.

#75 OFFLINE   jwalker95

jwalker95

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:50 PM

still having issues with Fox 43? I have picture pixel everyday. I also notice a few voice pixels on HGTV and discovery everyonce in a while

Does getting new receivers help?

Thanks
Jeff

Protected By... spam firewall...And...