Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Harrisburg, PA

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:47 AM

I am out of town right now, but my wife documented several issues with WGAL during the Super Bowl. When will things finally be fixed?

Edited by n3ntj, 04 February 2009 - 07:32 PM.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:23 PM

WGAL still definitely has problems. Watching last night found times of minor and major pixelation b/w 8pm and 11:30pm.

DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#43 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:54 PM

Is it me, or has WGAL-DT been much better lately? I've watched shows on WGAL all this week in the evenings and I've not seen any pixelation. Maybe D* has fixed this problem?

#44 OFFLINE   dewd

dewd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:17 PM

Is it me, or has WGAL-DT been much better lately? I've watched shows on WGAL all this week in the evenings and I've not seen any pixelation. Maybe D* has fixed this problem?

No problems watching the Super Bowl. No problems with Leno for the past week. Maybe they fixed it...

#45 OFFLINE   Piratefan98

Piratefan98

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:38 AM

Good here too.

Jeff

#46 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

Let's pay close attention to WGAL for the next few days and see if we get the pixelation or not. If, after a week or so, its clean, then I'd assume maybe it has been fixed. Crossing my fingers.

#47 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

I was watching the Rangers-Flyers game today on WGAL (via D*) and I had quite a few video breakups, but they looked different than the previous pixellation issues we had all seen in the past. I was watching it recorded, so I couldn't flip to OTA (either of WGAL or WCAU) to see if it was a network, station, or D* issue. Anyone else see these issues?

#48 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:02 PM

I got this update today from Bob Good at WGAL -

"DirecTV has converted to a fiber feed and what we see at the station in monitoring DirecTV seems to be stable. At the present time, we are no longer receiving any complaints from DirecTV customers.

In any event, you have to understand that while the industry works diligently to correct problems ASAP, knowledgeable industry insiders will admit that many types of DTV issues are both common and often very difficult to resolve. Part of the complex nature of digital TV, is that while noticeably superior in many ways, it has more difficult problems than analog TV. They are problems none of us are used to working with and we note that these problems can be extremely annoying, particularly since the video and audio are so much clearer in stark contrast.

Analog TV technology, was far less complex, it's application and it's fixes were fully refined and understood after more than 60 years of development. Meanwhile, DTV technology is a relative infant in technological terms - not fully matured, with lots of reliability improvements yet to come. All of us are really starting over with a new system that is extremely complex. Every station, satellite provider and cable company have been struggling with all of the various issues involved with the digital system. It will take years for the digital technology to have the same level of reliability and robustness that existed in the 60-year old analog technology.

Bob Good"

#49 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:13 AM

Anyone else notice WGAL has been pixelating a bit lately as well as audio dropouts? This has been going on all weekend. I checked the OTA feed of WGAL-DT and all was 100% perfect there. I also checked the other local stations D* carries in HD and all of those were fine as well. The issue appears to be a D* issue.

#50 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:27 PM

I wanted to report that WGAL-DT has been having some major issues again on DirecTV. For a few weeks, WGAL-DT was crystal clear, but for the past week or so, there has been quite a bit of pixellation and audio drop out. This seems to happen most with motion in the video. The Office, Law and Order:SVU, etc. have all had this problem recently. Primetime is about the only time I watch TV, so it may be happening during daytime programming, too.

When the video is relatively still, the issue subsides. When I see these problems, I flip over to the OTA feed (via antenna) and all is crystal clear with that signal. The problem appears to be either via the fiber link (b/w WGAL and DirecTV) or something on DirecTV's end. These problems with WGAL have been going on and off since at least last November.

I've checked WHP, WHTM, and WPMT and none of these stations show any of these issues.

Edited by n3ntj, 10 April 2009 - 12:36 PM.

#51 OFFLINE   jrodfoo

jrodfoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:46 AM

if you go to the directv website, it says the DC Locals are now available along with the Harrisburg HD locals in my parents zipcode, 17044, is this correct?

#52 OFFLINE   Piratefan98

Piratefan98

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:27 PM

if you go to the directv website, it says the DC Locals are now available along with the Harrisburg HD locals in my parents zipcode, 17044, is this correct?

On the DirecTV website, it says the same for my zip code (17325), but the DC locals aren't showing up on my guide. I'm still just getting the Harrisburg locals.

Jeff

#53 OFFLINE   jrodfoo

jrodfoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:42 PM

On the DirecTV website, it says the same for my zip code (17325), but the DC locals aren't showing up on my guide. I'm still just getting the Harrisburg locals.

Jeff

yeah, I thought it was curious and wanted to see what was up with that. probably just a glitch perhaps on the website? Thanks for checking..

#54 OFFLINE   chewwy420

chewwy420

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:03 PM

So according to the guide (browse Channel) in the iphone DTV App, it is showing all the DC locals. I did a check in my guide on my HR20 and the only one that shows up is CW channel 50 out of DC. If I tune to it it says "program not available in your area." Wonder if they are going to be adding them. Would like to see Philly before DC, as I am on the edge of the Harrisburg market and Philly is closer then DC. The local cable company carries both Harrisburg and Philly.

#55 OFFLINE   chewwy420

chewwy420

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:29 PM

Wonder if they will ever add CW15 to the HD lineup!

#56 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

Pixellation issues on WPMT Fox 43 the past 7~10 days

Has anyone else been having all sorts of pixelation and picture break-ups with WPMT Fox 43 the past week or so? I've noticed this only on Fox 43 and no issues on the other HD locals we get from D*. I've confirmed this problem on my HR20-700 and HR22-100.

#57 OFFLINE   John R. Metzger

John R. Metzger

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:32 PM

I am seeing the same thing here in Lewistown.

#58 OFFLINE   dlh

dlh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:50 PM

Pixellation issues on WPMT Fox 43 the past 7~10 days

same here in Chambersburg

#59 OFFLINE   BDP

BDP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:18 PM

Anyone still have problems on WGAL 8 as well? I get a freeze and sound jitter pretty much every 10 minutes or so on the HD feed and it's done that for the past 6 months.

#60 OFFLINE   John R. Metzger

John R. Metzger

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:59 AM

No problems with WGAL but WPMT was awful during the All-Star Game last night!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...