Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Chicago, IL

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   retromzc

retromzc

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:35 AM

Fox32 HD via DirecTv has been awful for about the last week. Numerous picture freezes, breakups and audio burps. Also, some sort of weird flashing on quick scene changes. I also see similar problems via DirecTv HD locals on ABC7 HD from time to time. Thank goodness for OTA reception which shows none of these problems.
R. B.

1 H20-100 receiver
1 HR24-500 dvr receiver
Sony 40" lcd
Sony XBR46HX929 led

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,218 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:43 AM

Has nothing to do with the building. It has to do with the frequency they are using. They are broadcasting there Digital TV in the VHF range. They will be changing that early next year since they have got approval from the FCC. You should be good then.

Actually, from where they presently beam their signal does have its impact. It's rather tough to aim my OTA antenna just right if all the signals are coming from one location but then WBBM's is coming from another. I'm sure their frequency also plays a part, but location isn't totally irrelevant. I did hear that they were rumored to move their signal to the Sears Tower like the rest of them currently do.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#23 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

Fox32 HD via DirecTv has been awful for about the last week. Numerous picture freezes, breakups and audio burps. Also, some sort of weird flashing on quick scene changes. I also see similar problems via DirecTv HD locals on ABC7 HD from time to time. Thank goodness for OTA reception which shows none of these problems.

The football games looked good but KING OF HILL has been breaking up a lot.

also fox 32 is the only station to not to have there local news in hd or local shows in DD 5.1

#24 OFFLINE   ColonelJulius

ColonelJulius

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:05 PM

Actually, from where they presently beam their signal does have its impact. It's rather tough to aim my OTA antenna just right if all the signals are coming from one location but then WBBM's is coming from another. I'm sure their frequency also plays a part, but location isn't totally irrelevant. I did hear that they were rumored to move their signal to the Sears Tower like the rest of them currently do.

WBBM is buying WTTW's old transmitter and will be broadcasting from the Sears Tower in Feb on channel 12. Their current digital channel is 3 which is brutal.

#25 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:26 PM

A friend who lives in the Chicago area tells me:

25 miles away is the pickup point.
And the Sears Tower and the Hancock are not even .5 mile difference in the "arc" position to point the antenna based on where the pickup point is.

It is just VHF-3 is subject to so much interference.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#26 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,218 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:38 PM

Well, I'm 32 miles west/southwest of downtown Chicago, which makes it tougher, of course. If their change in February to a different frequency does help, then I can't wait! :)

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#27 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,747 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:55 PM

For the last few days I've been seeing numerous video break ups and freezes on CBS2 (WBBM) every few minutes. Some are just minor glitches and others are very serious glitches. Also hearing some audio burps every now and then.

I've also noticed numorous break ups or freezes on CBS 2 for a few days now as well. However the OTA feed is not experiencing this issue. I hope DirecTV corrects this soon. Thankfully I have OTA as a backup.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 4.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear R7000
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#28 OFFLINE   retromzc

retromzc

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:10 AM

The video break ups and freezes along with audio burps continue and seem to be increasing in frequency. This is quite annoying since the channel is hard to get ota. Never had this problem until it started a few weeks ago. Is there no human monitoring anywhere along the various transmission lines?
R. B.

1 H20-100 receiver
1 HR24-500 dvr receiver
Sony 40" lcd
Sony XBR46HX929 led

#29 OFFLINE   aa9vi

aa9vi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:19 PM

I've also noticed numorous break ups or freezes on CBS 2 for a few days now as well. However the OTA feed is not experiencing this issue. I hope DirecTV corrects this soon. Thankfully I have OTA as a backup.

I disagree. In Northbrook, I see the same issues, both OTA and via satellite. I think it's something with WBBM's transmitter or signal getting too much interference. The OTA signal level is down significantly too.

#30 OFFLINE   retromzc

retromzc

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:20 PM

Hmm....this is strange. My ota reception of WBBM has been somewhat improved lately. Last night I used the pip function in my tv to compare the two signals (ota vs. Direc). With ota I saw two minor breakups on Big Bang Theory during the entire show. On Direc I saw breakups and heard audio garbles about every 5 minutes. They did not occur at the same times as the minor breakups via ota. I'm not sure where the problem lies, with WBBM or DirecTv. Some investigation may be called for here.
R. B.

1 H20-100 receiver
1 HR24-500 dvr receiver
Sony 40" lcd
Sony XBR46HX929 led

#31 OFFLINE   Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:29 AM

Is anyone else still having problems with WBBM? I still get frequent pixelization/screen freezes. It occurred all throughout Cold Case and The Unit Sunday night.

#32 OFFLINE   retromzc

retromzc

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:57 AM

YES! Lots of them. Some are minor and brief while others can last up to 10 seconds. It will be wonderful when WBBM moves to channel 12 in February so I can watch reliably via ota and not put up with this any more.
R. B.

1 H20-100 receiver
1 HR24-500 dvr receiver
Sony 40" lcd
Sony XBR46HX929 led

#33 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,218 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:21 PM

This is beyond ridiculous! I was watching CSI: Miami last night and every few minutes there was an audio glitch. It's like an electronic zap that is immediately followed by total loss of audio for 5-10 seconds or more. And it's happening every several minutes!

#34 OFFLINE   retromzc

retromzc

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:39 PM

One would think there'd be some human monitoring somewhere along the line but obviously there isn't. If the folks who don't have DirecTv provided HD locals knew the quality of them, they'd be in no hurry to get them. I am starting to see video glitches on every Chicago station except for NBC 5. Once again, thank goodness for over the air reception.
R. B.

1 H20-100 receiver
1 HR24-500 dvr receiver
Sony 40" lcd
Sony XBR46HX929 led

#35 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:42 PM

YES! Lots of them. Some are minor and brief while others can last up to 10 seconds. It will be wonderful when WBBM moves to channel 12 in February so I can watch reliably via ota and not put up with this any more.

I have a feeling this is when the reception will improve with DIRECTV as well ..
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#36 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:43 PM

One would think there'd be some human monitoring somewhere along the line but obviously there isn't. If the folks who don't have DirecTv provided HD locals knew the quality of them, they'd be in no hurry to get them. I am starting to see video glitches on every Chicago station except for NBC 5. Once again, thank goodness for over the air reception.

DIRECTV is aware of issues in Chicago and are doing what they can when they can. Some have been fixed and others will be fixed.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#37 OFFLINE   Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:28 AM

OK, well at least now I know it's not just me...

#38 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,218 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:11 AM

Yesterday I watched CSI, which I recorded last Thursday, and as usual, the audio dropouts were frequent. It sure is annoying missing chunks of conversation when watching a program. It's getting to the point where I'll have to turn on closed captioning!

#39 OFFLINE   retromzc

retromzc

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for your input Doug, at least we now know they are aware of some problems and trying to fix them. Thanks again, appreciate your response very much.
R. B.

1 H20-100 receiver
1 HR24-500 dvr receiver
Sony 40" lcd
Sony XBR46HX929 led

#40 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,218 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:11 PM

The audio dropouts were prevalent in today's Titans @ Lions game, which come to think of it, might have been a blessing. I didn't have to hear all those fans booing the Lions'. :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...