Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Chicago, IL

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,416 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:15 PM

Indeed. I just activated an HR22-100 and channel 2 is unwatchable! :mad:

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   2000voltz

2000voltz

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:00 AM

last night (friday) was by far the worst yet. ghost whisper, number, even letterman where impossible to watch
Directv is no hero, but they do make HD right.
HR22-100with Cavalry 750gb Esata
HR21-700
HR20-700

#53 OFFLINE   Surveyor40

Surveyor40

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 458 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:28 AM

The problem was from WBBM ch 2. After seeing how bad Numbers was on D*, I switched over to my rooftop TV antenna (TivoHD). It was much worse, heavily pixelated, hiccuping audio, video dropping out every other sec. I just decided to give up. Since the problem appears to be from ch 2, D* may not be able to improve reception, short of being feed fiber from WBBM's control room.

My Setup
16 year D* customer, LONG LIVE D*'s HDPC

#54 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:28 AM

Do those idiots at WBBM even know this is happening??? :mad:

#55 OFFLINE   Surveyor40

Surveyor40

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 458 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:05 PM

Ch 2's poor digital reception, IMHO, is probably due to the digital TV transition. WBBM is on ch 3 digital, and will be moving to ch 12 digital for the Feb19th analogue TV shutdown. You can read about WBBM's switchover plans at the following link. Scroll down to the digital transition document.

http://fjallfoss.fcc...87&fac_num=9617

My Setup
16 year D* customer, LONG LIVE D*'s HDPC

#56 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:06 PM

No, it's not due to its being on channel 3 digital. That's an excuse.

#57 OFFLINE   bakerfall

bakerfall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:29 PM

I agree, these are relatively new issues while they've been on channel 3 digital for a long time. Switching in Feb may fix it, but something else is adding to the issues now.

Really f'n annoying during the Bears game today

#58 OFFLINE   rcw119

rcw119

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:30 PM

Bears game is horrible. Has anyone contacted WBBM? Any response? I'm thinking of emailing them and copying a link to this thread.

#59 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:02 PM

I contacted them and was told, "The problem must be with your satellite provider. We suggest contacting them." When I told them that I was having the same problem via OTA, they had the nerve to then tell me that my antenna is "poorly aimed."

#60 OFFLINE   ex mailman

ex mailman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:34 PM

I contacted them and was told, "The problem must be with your satellite provider. We suggest contacting them." When I told them that I was having the same problem via OTA, they had the nerve to then tell me that my antenna is poorly aimed."

The problem is that if you call directv the person your talking to probably does not know that its channel 2 problem. This has been going on for a while and directv representives and channel 2 representives should know about this problem. I am sure that directv and cbs chicago management know about it but do not tell the people your talking to. The bears game today was terrible.

#61 OFFLINE   HoosierBoy

HoosierBoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:37 PM

Is anyone seeing a video stutter on Ch 32 during the Dal v. Pitt game?
HoosierBoy

DirecTv sub since '96
2 -HR24-500
1 -HR-20-600
2 -HR23's
2 -H24's
4 -AM-21's

Slimline3 w/ Zinwell WB616

#62 OFFLINE   pappys

pappys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:49 PM

Many of the same video/audio stutter on Fox 32 as well.
HR20-700 (conected to plasma via receiver)
HR21-100, Connected to LCD in Bedroom and via component to my plasma in my bedroom.
HR20-700
H20
Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch
AT9 Dish
Hitachi Plasma TV.
Sony BDS-350 Blu-ray player.

#63 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:58 PM

Yes! That was giving me eye strain and a headache, which is why I had to flip to channel 398 to watch it in HD. MUCH better!

#64 OFFLINE   pappys

pappys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:06 PM

I have issues with the following networks in Chicago:

WBBM - CH2 - CBS (Extreme amounts of audio and video glitches). By far the worst channel.
WLS- CH7- ABC (moderate audio and video pixelation).
WFLD - CH32 - FOX (moderate audio and video pixelation).

Local issues: Ch 26 (WCIU) is a horrible channel. Many graphic problems, and video issues.
Comcast Sportsnet HD - CH665. Audio is out of sync 100% of the time on HD channel only. During bulls games, you can hear the ball being dribbled as the free throw is going through the net.
HR20-700 (conected to plasma via receiver)
HR21-100, Connected to LCD in Bedroom and via component to my plasma in my bedroom.
HR20-700
H20
Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch
AT9 Dish
Hitachi Plasma TV.
Sony BDS-350 Blu-ray player.

#65 OFFLINE   ChicagoZag

ChicagoZag

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

I came to this forum seeking information on why the Bears game on channel two was so awful today. I seem to consistantly be having that problem on CH2. As I was researching, CH32 started having the pixelation problems, but it appears to have cleared up in the 3rd quarter of the game. I have not had problems as much with Fox32 as I have had with CH2.

#66 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:57 AM

I agree, these are relatively new issues while they've been on channel 3 digital for a long time. Switching in Feb may fix it, but something else is adding to the issues now.

Really f'n annoying during the Bears game today

I believe that DIRECTV is making some changes to this channel yes. Hopefully it will be resolved soon. They are aware of the issue.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#67 OFFLINE   bear_brian

bear_brian

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:33 AM

Does someone know whom the best entity is to contact and to complain? Watching Channel 2 is painful - the Bears game, 60 Minutes, etc. I get an audio or video stutter about every two to three minutes. It is ridiculous and makes me quesiton why I am paying for this sort of thing ...

#68 OFFLINE   ICM2000

ICM2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:55 AM

2 and only somewhat better 32 were awful since last Friday, at least I now know it is not related to my equipment -- Brrrrrrp!

#69 OFFLINE   dam006

dam006

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:30 PM

Here's my take:

Ch 2 - HORRIBLE! This probably started about a month ago and wasn't an issue before then. Audio and video resets occur every 5 - 10 minutes. :flaiming

Ch 5 - Used to be the worse but has been doing very well lately. Resets (video glitch or sound glitch) occurs maybe once an hour. :confused:

Ch 7 - Sound on HD channel constantly loses sound. I've had at least 3 occasions when there was no talking, only sound effects and music, on recorded shows. :scratchin

Ch 9 - Only time I have an issue is during Smallville. Center channel doesn't exist but dialogue gets pushed to R & L channels so you can at least watch. :icon_cry:

Ch 32 - Haven't had much issues at all. :)

#70 OFFLINE   2000voltz

2000voltz

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

I have issues with the following networks in Chicago:

WBBM - CH2 - CBS (Extreme amounts of audio and video glitches). By far the worst channel.
WLS- CH7- ABC (moderate audio and video pixelation).
WFLD - CH32 - FOX (moderate audio and video pixelation).

Local issues: Ch 26 (WCIU) is a horrible channel. Many graphic problems, and video issues.
Comcast Sportsnet HD - CH665. Audio is out of sync 100% of the time on HD channel only. During bulls games, you can hear the ball being dribbled as the free throw is going through the net.

agree with all of this except 7 seems pretty relieable for me.
26 drives me nuts with the sox games, hd pic pushed in a sd frame. why do they do that?
Directv is no hero, but they do make HD right.
HR22-100with Cavalry 750gb Esata
HR21-700
HR20-700

#71 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:04 PM

Seems DIRECTV is not the only problem:

Interesting. I just did a search before posting these same symptoms on WBBM-DT. I also have really good satellite signal levels. But the really interesting thing is that I'm on DirectTV!

Seems the real problem is with WBBM .. It is my understanding, though that progress is being made to improve the situation.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#72 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:10 PM

I receive WBBM via OTA and have seen more glitches in the last month and a half.
It may be something with WBBM not DirecTV or DISH.

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#73 OFFLINE   imtired1959

imtired1959

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:22 PM

I do not believe that it is a DirecTV issue. On the AM21, all other Chicago digital channels give me 88-100% signal, CB@$$, WBBM Channel 2.1 gives a 771 error with no signal acquired. It momentarily came back Saturday evening with a 65% signal.

The digital tuner on the TV will not lock either. The analog tuner on the TV provedes a very snowy picture.

Something happened around the end of October that created this.

I also believe that WBBM will not bother to spend the money to fix this until they swap frequenices (equipment) in February (after all, they have to pay for the new news studio fiasco that thier , now fired, General Manager Joe Ahearn left them :nono2: ).

#74 OFFLINE   pjrocco

pjrocco

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:59 AM

Audio and pixelation issue here as well... The Bears game was almost unwatchable.

#75 OFFLINE   aa9vi

aa9vi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:39 PM

I do not believe that it is a DirecTV issue. On the AM21, all other Chicago digital channels give me 88-100% signal, CB@$$, WBBM Channel 2.1 gives a 771 error with no signal acquired. It momentarily came back Saturday evening with a 65% signal.

The digital tuner on the TV will not lock either. The analog tuner on the TV provedes a very snowy picture.

Something happened around the end of October that created this.

I also believe that WBBM will not bother to spend the money to fix this until they swap frequenices (equipment) in February (after all, they have to pay for the new news studio fiasco that thier , now fired, General Manager Joe Ahearn left them :nono2: ).

Guys, WBBM DOES have an encoder problem. They are aware of it and fixing it. I read it one day, but the post was edited on

http://www.avsforum....815397&page=115

I did also see some minor issues with WMAQ on D* also. I have seen the problems OTA on WBBM but not WMAQ.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...