Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Cleveland-Akron, OH

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:42 PM

The channel 19 pixelation & audio stuttering problems appear to be fixed. Haven't noticed any of the problems this morning.

Sadly, they are back today 12/21.

Someone please go give the WOIO encoder a good kick.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:47 PM

Agreed. It made an already bad game worse.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#23 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:21 PM

WOIO still getting pixilation and audio burps.

Kick the encoder already. :mad:
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#24 OFFLINE   davemayo

davemayo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:00 PM

Yes, please do something about this. It is very annoying.
Go Hoos!

#25 OFFLINE   pennhunter

pennhunter

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:40 PM

I can't believe WOIO or Directv haven't addressed the stuttering. It makes me avoid WOIO at this point.

#26 OFFLINE   jterry

jterry

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:50 PM

looks good and glad to have it!

Somone please tell me why the HD images, with few exceptions, are letterboxed inside the main 16X9 plasma screen. The only show that is true HD is Lerher.

#27 OFFLINE   carnage

carnage

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:15 PM

Somone please tell me why the HD images, with few exceptions, are letterboxed inside the main 16X9 plasma screen. The only show that is true HD is Lerher.

I know that I've watched Nightly Business Report and World World in Full HD. I thought in switching it on the other night there was a Great Performances that wasn't letterboxed either. This would be on WVIZ 25 and not 45/49. I haven't watched much in the past week over the Holidays but I will check tonight.

Do you have the old standard def. PBS on a favorite's list? I can think of some old shows on there that were letter-boxed on a 4:3 screen.

#28 OFFLINE   JDubbs413

JDubbs413

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:26 AM

Still having consistant issues with WOIO CBS 19. Ghost Whisperer was almost unwatchable last Friday night. The game Sunday was terribly distorted as well. These issues need to get resolved.

Channel - WOIO CBS 19 HD
Time - All of the Time
Problem - Stuttering and blocking
5-LNB Slimline Dish
1 Zinwell WB68
1 HR20-700
1 R22-200
1 R15-500
1 D11-500

1 Slingbox Solo

Proud DirecTV Subscriber Since September 5, 2007.

#29 OFFLINE   jterry

jterry

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:00 PM

I know that I've watched Nightly Business Report and World World in Full HD. I thought in switching it on the other night there was a Great Performances that wasn't letterboxed either. This would be on WVIZ 25 and not 45/49. I haven't watched much in the past week over the Holidays but I will check tonight.

Do you have the old standard def. PBS on a favorite's list? I can think of some old shows on there that were letter-boxed on a 4:3 screen.

I just got a new HR22-100. I only have HDs on my favorites list. No old SD. Shows like Nova, This Old House, Amer Experience, etc. that say "Presented In High Definition" are not. They're boxed in the middle. I think I might know the answer...WVIZ has divided their digital channel into four separates. DirecTV picks uo only the main dig channel. The true HD channel (#2) is only on two cable systems.

#30 OFFLINE   pcashmere

pcashmere

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:14 PM

The issues for WOIO still exist! Pixelation, audio stuttering.

#31 OFFLINE   lee278

lee278

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:26 PM

Yes, I am in Akron and my channel 19 WOIO is barely watchable do to audio and video constant breakups in the signal. I am about ready to go back to cable.

#32 OFFLINE   JDubbs413

JDubbs413

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:00 PM

Yes, I am in Akron and my channel 19 WOIO is barely watchable do to audio and video constant breakups in the signal. I am about ready to go back to cable.

I have actually heard cable is having the same issues from them.
5-LNB Slimline Dish
1 Zinwell WB68
1 HR20-700
1 R22-200
1 R15-500
1 D11-500

1 Slingbox Solo

#33 OFFLINE   ohpuckhead

ohpuckhead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:11 AM

I have actually heard cable is having the same issues from them.

WOIO tells me it is a DTV problem. DTV says it is WOIO. It's been nonstop for months for me.

#34 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:25 PM

+1 I'm glad to don't watch WOIO that often except for football. Someone put a boot to that encoder!!!
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#35 OFFLINE   JDubbs413

JDubbs413

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:30 PM

In my research it is not a DTV problem. But the bottom line is they need to work together to resolve the issue. This should be resolved immediately not over time.
5-LNB Slimline Dish
1 Zinwell WB68
1 HR20-700
1 R22-200
1 R15-500
1 D11-500

1 Slingbox Solo

#36 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

Let's get this out of the way before gametime. Kick the damn encoder!!!
Dan Sholtis

#37 OFFLINE   chorning

chorning

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:56 AM

I agree with everyone that the WOIO issue is extremely frustrating. Sometimes it makes the channel nearly unwatchable. I wonder if Anyone at the CBS network would care....

#38 OFFLINE   paule123

paule123

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:06 PM

D* is picking up the wrong WEAO PBS channel 49 subchannel. They should be picking up the HD feed on 49-1. Instead they are picking up the SD feed on 49-2. WEAO now appears to have their analog and digital schedules in sync (as does WVIZ) so I don't see why D* can't switch over to the HD subchannel.

BTW I emailed WEAO about this and got this odd reply:

Thank you for your interest in our programming.

DirecTV has to launch another satellite in order to broadcast our HD signal. The most recent news in this regard is that it will be launched for the Cleveland market in summer 2010.

Because digital broadcasting is new to everyone, there's been a steep learning curve. We found out a few weeks ago that we need additional equipment, including another dish, in order to broadcast two separate schedules. We are currently working on this, but I'm not sure when this will happen.

I'm sorry that I don't have better news for you. Please feel free to continue to ask questions.

#39 OFFLINE   EricG

EricG

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:44 PM

I've been in contact with the station manager over at WEAO for a few months now, and yes, he's confirmed that D* won't be picking up the HD feed until 2010. That's just insane! That stinks, WEAO has the best OTA HD signal in town. C'mon DirecTV, get moving!
DirecTV HR21
DirecTV HR10-250 (30hr)
Hughes HDVR2 (140hr)
Hughes HDVR2 (107hr)

#40 OFFLINE   paule123

paule123

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:43 PM

I got a response back from DirecTV about the WEAO HD thing and it was a bolierplate answer completely unrelated to the topic. She thinks I am having problems with my equipment and need to call technical support. :rolleyes:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...