Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Phoenix, AZ

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:16 PM

DMA: Phoenix, AZ
Established: 5/17/2006

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:15 AM

Added PBS - KAET (8) to the lineup
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:31 AM

Still need AZTV (7) in HD
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#4 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,718 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:38 PM

Still need AZTV (7) in HD

I don't think channel 7 broadcasts in HD yet?

#5 OFFLINE   richiephx

richiephx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:17 PM

In the early days of HD OTA, PBS channel 8 was pretty good. I can't say that today.
TNT: WE KNOW INTERRUPTIONS
TBS: TURNER BROADCASTING SUCKS
NBC: NATIONAL BOREDCASTING COMPANY

#6 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:24 PM

They do. They even have a subchannel (not that this is a good thing)

#7 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,718 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:30 PM

They do. They even have a subchannel (not that this is a good thing)

Are you confusing digital channels with HD channels? I don't see any info here saying that they are HD.

#8 OFFLINE   YKW06

YKW06

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:44 PM

That's what AVS is saying, that it's still broadcasting in 480i despite having gone all-digital nearly a year ago. I'd check for myself, but I don't have an OTA antenna that can pick them up in extreme northeast Mesa. (I can get three Tucson stations, but no KAZT.)

I'm guessing that the Londens aren't up to putting out the money to convert to HD so soon after the investment to go all-digital (maybe why Hagerty bolted?).

#9 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:25 PM

Well, whatver you want to call it the Coyotes game looked absolutely pathetic on the feed from D.

#10 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,718 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:30 AM

That's what AVS is saying, that it's still broadcasting in 480i despite having gone all-digital nearly a year ago. I'd check for myself, but I don't have an OTA antenna that can pick them up in extreme northeast Mesa. (I can get three Tucson stations, but no KAZT.)

I'm guessing that the Londens aren't up to putting out the money to convert to HD so soon after the investment to go all-digital (maybe why Hagerty bolted?).

Well, whatver you want to call it the Coyotes game looked absolutely pathetic on the feed from D.

Digital doesn't mean HD, a lot of people are still getting confused by that. All stations after Feb 2009 will be broadcasting in digital, but not all will be HD.

Channel 7 looks bad on D* because its coming off of the 101 satellite and the signal is way over compressed. I hope that TV contract is over soon and they go back to 3 or 61 for local broadcasts, at least they can do HD.

#11 OFFLINE   puckhead

puckhead

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:20 PM

Keep an eye on AZTV's programming over the next couple of days. I've been in contact with one of the engineers over there, and they are working on some things.

On a related note, they have an application in with the FCC to move to a different frequency that isn't being trampled by a high power station. Hopefully we can pull it in OTA and start comparing the signals with the DirecTV feed.

#12 OFFLINE   YKW06

YKW06

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:59 PM

Keep an eye on AZTV's programming over the next couple of days. I've been in contact with one of the engineers over there, and they are working on some things.

On a related note, they have an application in with the FCC to move to a different frequency that isn't being trampled by a high power station. Hopefully we can pull it in OTA and start comparing the signals with the DirecTV feed.

They've had the app to go to 36 in for months now. Given this came so long after the statutory deadline for final frequency selection, and given the confusion that's sure to descend on the FCC as it changes parties in January, I'd be very surprised to see it granted any time soon, if ever.

#13 OFFLINE   puckhead

puckhead

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:13 PM

They've had the app to go to 36 in for months now. Given this came so long after the statutory deadline for final frequency selection, and given the confusion that's sure to descend on the FCC as it changes parties in January, I'd be very surprised to see it granted any time soon, if ever.

Good point. If that remains the case, I would certainly hope the Coyotes marketing team recognizes this and responds appropriately during the next negotiation. Of course a good season and a trip to the playoffs sure might help gather some attention from other stations. ;)

#14 OFFLINE   puckhead

puckhead

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:21 PM

Channel 7 looks bad on D* because its coming off of the 101 satellite and the signal is way over compressed. I hope that TV contract is over soon and they go back to 3 or 61 for local broadcasts, at least they can do HD.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the DirecTV SD feed with that from Cox? If so, please post what you observed. For that matter has anyone even been able to see the OTA broadcasts from AZTV? I know they are curious but they don't get much feedback from viewers. I would be willing to compile any observations and pass them along to AZTV. Could be lost cause, but as long as they are the home to some Coyotes games, I am motivated. :grin:

#15 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:24 PM

Folks .. :backtotop .. If you want to talk about the Coyotes game, this is not the place to do so.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#16 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:48 PM

Has anyone had a chance to compare the DirecTV SD feed with that from Cox? If so, please post what you observed. For that matter has anyone even been able to see the OTA broadcasts from AZTV? I know they are curious but they don't get much feedback from viewers. I would be willing to compile any observations and pass them along to AZTV. Could be lost cause, but as long as they are the home to some Coyotes games, I am motivated. :grin:

7-1 one looks much better (Built in OTA and HR20 OTA) than DirecTV's feed. For some reason, 7-2 on the HR20 gives the serching for signal ever since 7-2 started showing Retro TV. I can get it with my sammy's tuner

#17 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:52 PM

7-1 one looks much better (Built in OTA and HR20 OTA) than DirecTV's feed. For some reason, 7-2 on the HR20 gives the serching for signal ever since 7-2 started showing Retro TV. I can get it with my sammy's tuner

I use an antenna for all my locals and they all come in just fine (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, CW, PBS). Using the signal meter I can't get even a hint of a signal for 7-1 so I'm stuck getting this one from D.

#18 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:31 PM

I use an antenna for all my locals and they all come in just fine (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, CW, PBS). Using the signal meter I can't get even a hint of a signal for 7-1 so I'm stuck getting this one from D.

Do you have any new info on AZTV going HD ? I emailed them about a month ago, before I saw this thread, and I was encourage to email D* because they needed all the help they could get to get D* to broadcast their HD signal. I forget who it was that responded to me email.

DirecTV customer since 2003
HR44-700 --> Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR24-500 --> Sony KDL-32EX500

#19 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:55 PM

Do you have any new info on AZTV going HD ? I emailed them about a month ago, before I saw this thread, and I was encourage to email D* because they needed all the help they could get to get D* to broadcast their HD signal. I forget who it was that responded to me email.

KAZT has gone HD in both Prescott (full power) and Phoenix, and digital only for their Phoenix LP transmitter.

#20 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:26 PM

I got the same thing here. With hockey season over (at least for the Yotes) I won't really care for 6 months.

spam firewall