Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Phoenix, AZ

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:22 AM

I called PBS 8 several months ago and asked them about the blurps problem with the audio. They said that they knew about it. Here it is several months later and it is still there. It is unwatchable. Looks like I won't be watching Ken Burns Parks series. I still get it a little on the other locals but not near as bad as PBS 8.

I sent them an email a few months ago complaining about the burps and pixelization problems. I did receive a reply stating basically that they were working on it. Of course it's never been solved, so I wrote them another email about three weeks ago. No reply this time. Maybe I insulted them by suggesting that since the other locals seem to have solved most of their problems, why don't they ask for help! :lol:

DirecTV customer since 2003
HR44-700 --> Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR24-500 --> Sony KDL-32EX500

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   DesertFlyer

DesertFlyer

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:18 AM

I have written KAET twice and DirecTV once about the breakups and brrrrps that plauge channel 8. It's completely unwatchable. It's been this way since they added the channel to the lineup. The first time I wrote them KAET said they were working with DirecTV to fix the problem. The second time I got no reply. DirecTV of course asked me to reboot my receivers (clueless). What a waste. PBS has some great programming but I don't watch more than 10 minutes of it because it stutters.
SWiMline 3
  • HR24-200
  • R22-100
  • HR23-700

#43 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,798 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:21 AM

Have you guys thought about using an OTA antenna instead?

#44 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:48 AM

Have you guys thought about using an OTA antenna instead?

PBS is the only local that has a major problem, at least as far as the ones I watch the most, and I don't watch PBS enough to justify an antenna for just one station. It would just be nice to be able to watch it when I wanted to.

Edited by dlt4, 29 September 2009 - 01:57 PM.

#45 OFFLINE   DesertFlyer

DesertFlyer

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:38 PM

I live in an apartment complex, and like dlt4, don't want to put up an antenna just for PBS. I just think it's crazy that this hasn't been fixed in months.
SWiMline 3
  • HR24-200
  • R22-100
  • HR23-700

#46 OFFLINE   jfeheley

jfeheley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:33 PM

I called PBS 8 several months ago and asked them about the blurps problem with the audio. They said that they knew about it. Here it is several months later and it is still there. It is unwatchable. Looks like I won't be watching Ken Burns Parks series. I still get it a little on the other locals but not near as bad as PBS 8.

I sent this page to KAET and said read my email (above) and the answers under it.

Here is the answer:

Mr. Feheley,

I have forwarded your e-mail to our chief engineer and the person in charge of viewer services.

Gary L. McMahan

Associate Director of Development

Philanthropic Gifts

Eight, Arizona PBS

Arizona State University

555 N Central Ave., Suite 500

Phoenix, AZ 85004-1252

602-496-9693

FAX: 602-496-8045

gary.mcmahan@asu.edu

#47 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:17 PM

#48 OFFLINE   DesertFlyer

DesertFlyer

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:40 PM

I'm glad you guys have been able to make contact. I hope KAET fixes their problems, or get DirecTV to fix the problem if that is the case.

Has anyone noticed that KPNX seems to have some sort of static or interference on anything prerecorded? Commercials, Law & Order SVU, and Conan are where I've seen the static (it's usually pretty subtle). I don't see it on the live local news. I see it on all 3 of my HR2X boxes. Can anyone else confirm? It seems to be a problem on KPNX's end so I imagine it's also visible OTA.
SWiMline 3
  • HR24-200
  • R22-100
  • HR23-700

#49 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:21 PM

I'm glad you guys have been able to make contact. I hope KAET fixes their problems, or get DirecTV to fix the problem if that is the case.

Has anyone noticed that KPNX seems to have some sort of static or interference on anything prerecorded? Commercials, Law & Order SVU, and Conan are where I've seen the static (it's usually pretty subtle). I don't see it on the live local news. I see it on all 3 of my HR2X boxes. Can anyone else confirm? It seems to be a problem on KPNX's end so I imagine it's also visible OTA.

About the only time I normally watch KPNX is for Sunday Night Football, but I'll check it out to see if I see the same problem that you've noticed.

#50 OFFLINE   hikeraz

hikeraz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:14 PM

I just received this response from PBS 8 regarding the dreaded Brrrrp audio and video stutter which makes some programs almost unwatchable.

"There has been an ongoing issue with Direct TV and their transmission of our HD signal. We have been working with Direct for some time on this but little has changed. The reception has actually improved from the early broadcasts but there are still problems. The standard version does not have the stutter/flutter. Since Direct down-converts the HD signal to broadcast it as the standard feed, Direct is obviously receiving a good quality signal initially. We believe that they probably need to upgrade or change out something in the HD transmission at their end but to date that hasn’t been done.

We know that Cox Cable takes the same over-the-air HD transmission and successfully broadcasts the HD version without any of the distortion that Direct is experiencing. We’ll continue to try to resolve the issue. In general we have found that most of the Direct TV techs are unaware of the discussions that have occurred between our engineers and the Direct TV engineers.

Thank you for your interest and for watching Eight."

Sincerely,

Kim
Viewer Services
Eight, Arizona PBS / KAET-Phoenix
Arizona State University
Learn about Eight HD, Eight Create and Eight World.

Any guesses as to what DirecTV needs to do with their signal to get this fixed? I plan on writing DirecTV to see their response and I'll post it if I get one.

#51 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:39 PM

I just received this response from PBS 8 regarding the dreaded Brrrrp audio and video stutter which makes some programs almost unwatchable.

"There has been an ongoing issue with Direct TV and their transmission of our HD signal. We have been working with Direct for some time on this but little has changed. The reception has actually improved from the early broadcasts but there are still problems. The standard version does not have the stutter/flutter. Since Direct down-converts the HD signal to broadcast it as the standard feed, Direct is obviously receiving a good quality signal initially. We believe that they probably need to upgrade or change out something in the HD transmission at their end but to date that hasn’t been done.

We know that Cox Cable takes the same over-the-air HD transmission and successfully broadcasts the HD version without any of the distortion that Direct is experiencing. We’ll continue to try to resolve the issue. In general we have found that most of the Direct TV techs are unaware of the discussions that have occurred between our engineers and the Direct TV engineers.

Thank you for your interest and for watching Eight."

Sincerely,

Kim
Viewer Services
Eight, Arizona PBS / KAET-Phoenix
Arizona State University
Learn about Eight HD, Eight Create and Eight World.

Any guesses as to what DirecTV needs to do with their signal to get this fixed? I plan on writing DirecTV to see their response and I'll post it if I get one.

Thanks for posting your reply from KAET. I wrote to them for the 2nd time about a month ago but didn't get any reply.

I'm not techie enough to know what can solve the problem, but I sure wish somebody would figure it out. I'll write to D* also.

#52 OFFLINE   DesertFlyer

DesertFlyer

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:27 PM

Every time I have written DirecTV about the problem with KAET 8 (admittedly I've only written them twice) they tell me to reboot my receiver. Yes, I'll go reboot all the HD receivers in Phoenix since everyone is experiencing this issue...
SWiMline 3
  • HR24-200
  • R22-100
  • HR23-700

#53 ONLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,208 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:13 AM

This is a real finger-pointing exercise. Someone inside DirecTV reports that they have explained to PBS Phoenix what the problem is, but that the station is "not co-operating", and that DirecTV is trying to work through the national PBS organization to get the attention of the station to get the problem fixed.

#54 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 980 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:52 PM

During the second half of the Vikings - Lions came today I started having very bad breakup of the sound. It was coming in via Dolby Digital and it kept breaking up, during programming and commercials both.

It D* spreading its bandwidth too thin during football season and this a result of that? I wonder.

#55 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

During the second half of the Vikings - Lions came today I started having very bad breakup of the sound. It was coming in via Dolby Digital and it kept breaking up, during programming and commercials both.

It D* spreading its bandwidth too thin during football season and this a result of that? I wonder.

I don't have Dolby Digital, but every game I watch on Fox 10 has a few signal interruptions. Usually the screen goes black for a few seconds, along with an audio burp.

#56 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 980 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:58 PM

My video was fine all game, but the audio had issues. Strangely enough the signal was fine during the second game, perhaps when D* would have had less strain on their bandwidth with fewer games being broadcast on Sunday Ticket.

If my conspiracy theory is correct and this is a D* problem, couldn't they simply drop a few PPV stations during that first game?

#57 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:55 AM

My video was fine all game, but the audio had issues. Strangely enough the signal was fine during the second game, perhaps when D* would have had less strain on their bandwidth with fewer games being broadcast on Sunday Ticket.

If my conspiracy theory is correct and this is a D* problem, couldn't they simply drop a few PPV stations during that first game?

I'm not techie enough to know the answer to your question. I just know that even though I don't watch the local channels a lot, they sure seem to have a lot of audio/video problems. Of course, PBS is in a class by itself!

#58 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,644 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:59 AM

KPPX 51 (ION Media Networks OAO) is now broadcasting HD on 51.1 Anyone know if ion will be added to the HD lineup since the ion OAO stations are not carried LIL? (We get the ion west feed in Phoenix)

#59 OFFLINE   teebeebee1

teebeebee1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:26 PM

I don't have Dolby Digital, but every game I watch on Fox 10 has a few signal interruptions. Usually the screen goes black for a few seconds, along with an audio burp.

Happens to me as well, its def a local issue

#60 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,644 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:53 PM

KPPX 51 (ION Media Networks OAO) is now broadcasting HD on 51.1 Anyone know if ion will be added to the HD lineup since the ion OAO stations are not carried LIL? (We get the ion west feed in Phoenix)

KTVW-33, our local Univision affiliate, has also begun broadcasting in HD.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...