Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Phoenix, AZ

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:39 PM

I just received this response from PBS 8 regarding the dreaded Brrrrp audio and video stutter which makes some programs almost unwatchable.

"There has been an ongoing issue with Direct TV and their transmission of our HD signal. We have been working with Direct for some time on this but little has changed. The reception has actually improved from the early broadcasts but there are still problems. The standard version does not have the stutter/flutter. Since Direct down-converts the HD signal to broadcast it as the standard feed, Direct is obviously receiving a good quality signal initially. We believe that they probably need to upgrade or change out something in the HD transmission at their end but to date that hasn’t been done.

We know that Cox Cable takes the same over-the-air HD transmission and successfully broadcasts the HD version without any of the distortion that Direct is experiencing. We’ll continue to try to resolve the issue. In general we have found that most of the Direct TV techs are unaware of the discussions that have occurred between our engineers and the Direct TV engineers.

Thank you for your interest and for watching Eight."

Sincerely,

Kim
Viewer Services
Eight, Arizona PBS / KAET-Phoenix
Arizona State University
Learn about Eight HD, Eight Create and Eight World.

Any guesses as to what DirecTV needs to do with their signal to get this fixed? I plan on writing DirecTV to see their response and I'll post it if I get one.

Thanks for posting your reply from KAET. I wrote to them for the 2nd time about a month ago but didn't get any reply.

I'm not techie enough to know what can solve the problem, but I sure wish somebody would figure it out. I'll write to D* also.

DirecTV customer since 2003
HR44-700 --> Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR24-500 --> Sony KDL-32EX500

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   DesertFlyer

DesertFlyer

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:27 PM

Every time I have written DirecTV about the problem with KAET 8 (admittedly I've only written them twice) they tell me to reboot my receiver. Yes, I'll go reboot all the HD receivers in Phoenix since everyone is experiencing this issue...
SWiMline 3
  • HR24-200
  • R22-100
  • HR23-700

#53 ONLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:13 AM

This is a real finger-pointing exercise. Someone inside DirecTV reports that they have explained to PBS Phoenix what the problem is, but that the station is "not co-operating", and that DirecTV is trying to work through the national PBS organization to get the attention of the station to get the problem fixed.

#54 ONLINE   john18

john18

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:52 PM

During the second half of the Vikings - Lions came today I started having very bad breakup of the sound. It was coming in via Dolby Digital and it kept breaking up, during programming and commercials both.

It D* spreading its bandwidth too thin during football season and this a result of that? I wonder.

#55 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

During the second half of the Vikings - Lions came today I started having very bad breakup of the sound. It was coming in via Dolby Digital and it kept breaking up, during programming and commercials both.

It D* spreading its bandwidth too thin during football season and this a result of that? I wonder.

I don't have Dolby Digital, but every game I watch on Fox 10 has a few signal interruptions. Usually the screen goes black for a few seconds, along with an audio burp.

#56 ONLINE   john18

john18

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:58 PM

My video was fine all game, but the audio had issues. Strangely enough the signal was fine during the second game, perhaps when D* would have had less strain on their bandwidth with fewer games being broadcast on Sunday Ticket.

If my conspiracy theory is correct and this is a D* problem, couldn't they simply drop a few PPV stations during that first game?

#57 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:55 AM

My video was fine all game, but the audio had issues. Strangely enough the signal was fine during the second game, perhaps when D* would have had less strain on their bandwidth with fewer games being broadcast on Sunday Ticket.

If my conspiracy theory is correct and this is a D* problem, couldn't they simply drop a few PPV stations during that first game?

I'm not techie enough to know the answer to your question. I just know that even though I don't watch the local channels a lot, they sure seem to have a lot of audio/video problems. Of course, PBS is in a class by itself!

#58 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,680 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:59 AM

KPPX 51 (ION Media Networks OAO) is now broadcasting HD on 51.1 Anyone know if ion will be added to the HD lineup since the ion OAO stations are not carried LIL? (We get the ion west feed in Phoenix)

#59 OFFLINE   teebeebee1

teebeebee1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:26 PM

I don't have Dolby Digital, but every game I watch on Fox 10 has a few signal interruptions. Usually the screen goes black for a few seconds, along with an audio burp.

Happens to me as well, its def a local issue

#60 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,680 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:53 PM

KPPX 51 (ION Media Networks OAO) is now broadcasting HD on 51.1 Anyone know if ion will be added to the HD lineup since the ion OAO stations are not carried LIL? (We get the ion west feed in Phoenix)

KTVW-33, our local Univision affiliate, has also begun broadcasting in HD.

#61 OFFLINE   hikeraz

hikeraz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:34 PM

I just received this email from Channel 8. Maybe this will help with the Briiiiiip audio/video interruptions? It seems to have gotten better (but not eliminated) already in the last 6 weeks.

"Reception improvements are on the way …

We apologize for the reception problems we have been experiencing. Recently our microwave receiver failed and we have been running on our lower-power backup system. Unfortunately, the lower power output is most noticeable from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. when the local TV stations are using additional microwave transmissions (incoming and outgoing).

In addition to replacing the microwave receiver, we are in the process of acquiring a fiber-optic link from our downtown location to the transmitters on South Mountain. That will become our primary link and will offer the much-needed improvements.

We thank you for your patience."

#62 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:58 AM

FWIW, channel 7 (KAZT), is now in HD.

#63 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,930 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

FWIW, channel 7 (KAZT), is now in HD.

Cool, now if they would actually show something in HD. Wish we could get 7-2, RTV, also.

#64 OFFLINE   welshdalek

welshdalek

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

Right now, Channel 3 - ktvk is currently heavily pixelated, and showing searching for signal on 2 (771)
No storms nearby, only local being affected....

#65 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,930 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

Right now, Channel 3 - ktvk is currently heavily pixelated, and showing searching for signal on 2 (771)
No storms nearby, only local being affected....

No pixelation here.

#66 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

Has anyone had any reception issues in the area? My sat numbers are good and DirecTV says they haven't had any reported issues in my area....but 2-3 times in the last week I have had some TV freezing

Protected By... spam firewall...And...