Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Denver, CO

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:35 PM

It is worth noting that Denver HD locals are available from two different spotbeams. It's possible that there could be a problem with feeds coming from one but not the other.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   avsrock90

avsrock90

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:43 PM

It is worth noting that Denver HD locals are available from two different spotbeams. It's possible that there could be a problem with feeds coming from one but not the other.

Is there anyway to control which you're receiving from?

#23 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

Is there anyway to control which you're receiving from?

I'm not sure how it works in areas where they overlap. Maybe the receiver defaults to the strongest signal? I have no idea.

#24 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:12 PM

I have not seen that. I have a Sony 52" XBR4. It looks like some kind of video interference.

#25 OFFLINE   patricw

patricw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:15 PM

We had Directv installed on 10/7/10, and I've noticed a lot of noise on KUSA (Channel 9) Denver. We have an H24 DVR in the living room, connected via HDMI, and an H24-200 receiver in one bedroom with a TV connected via HDMI, and another connected through the wall via Component. I haven't noticed green lines like what is shown in your picture, but we've had what looks like static lines (white) about 1/3 from the top, and 1/3 from the bottom, intermittently while watching. They just pop up at random - you can watch for 5 or 10 minutes, and not notice any, and then they will just flash quickly across the screen. We've seen this on both the HD and SD feeds, and on all the TVs, whether they're connected via HDMI or Component. It's only happening on that channel; we have the Ultimate package, and I have not noticed it on any other channel including other locals. Have the TV and the receivers plugged into surge suppressors, and the one in the living room has noise filtering. I would think that if this were a grounding problem, or some other cable problem, we'd be seeing it on at least a few other channels, but so far, it's only on this one (and we've watched a ton of stuff over the last 3-4 days on several different channels)

#26 OFFLINE   bikenski

bikenski

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:56 PM

I'm seeing the artifacts on KUSA also. They look silver or white when viewed at normal speed, but if I rewind the DVR and go back through the offending scene in slow motion, they're actually green like the photo posted by avsrock90 on the previous page.

#27 OFFLINE   patricw

patricw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:47 PM

glad to see a couple more people have also seen this on KUSA... don't know who to contact...
whether it's a station problem, or a Directv problem, or a problem with our setups.

#28 OFFLINE   kruegs

kruegs

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:04 PM

Holy cow, I am not going crazy! I have noticed this for the past probably 2 months. Honestly I started to notice it after the last NR for the HR-series machines. I see it most often during any 9news broadcast.

Frustrating to say the least, and a huge annoyance!

#29 OFFLINE   patricw

patricw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:58 PM

Don't mean to be a newbie, but what's an "NR"?

#30 OFFLINE   avsrock90

avsrock90

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:09 PM

glad to see a couple more people have also seen this on KUSA... don't know who to contact...
whether it's a station problem, or a Directv problem, or a problem with our setups.

Well, I don't think its a problem with our setups because we're all having the same problem on one channel specifically. I don't think its a station problem, because 9News certainly couldn't accidentally broadcast an artifacted image for two months without the problem being corrected. Also, to the best of my knowledge, its not an issue on Comcast.

I called DTV, they tried to walk me through some troubleshooting inside my home, I got them to send an email to engineering. I'd suggest you do the same - maybe we'll get some traction.

#31 OFFLINE   Alamei

Alamei

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:18 PM

I've been seeing all sorts of picture issues with KUSA this year; I think it may be related to whatever form of compression is being used (either at the station level, or on the feed DirecTV is using). Any quick panning of the camera (most noticeable in sports broadcasts) shows significant artifacts/blocking. Since I don't see anything nearly as bad on the other locals, I get the feeling that the issue is somewhere in the KUSA signal chain, and not just a blanket impact of DirecTV's MPEG4 compression.

Can anyone who receives KUSA OTA comment on the quality of the stream?

#32 OFFLINE   patricw

patricw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:33 PM

I just got through testing KUSA-Denver (Channel 9) between my HR24 HD DVR box, and the OTA antenna HD feed, and found that the channel has the static line problem on the OTA feed just as it did on the DirecTV feed, so I'm 99.9999% sure that this is a network/KUSA problem with their signal, and not a problem with DirecTV. Don't know who (or how) to contact KUSA to find out if they're noticing it, but since others on this forum have also reported it, maybe if we all email or call, it will get them to take a look at it. Hope this info helps. I know I thought something was wrong with my installation, or my boxes, but now I'm reasonably sure that it is KUSA's problem.

#33 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:56 PM

In the last 15 minutes all Denver locals are having severe breakup issues. I have good signal on all satellites and clear sky. Are others seeing this?

#34 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:59 PM

On closer look it is not effecting channels 2 or 12.

4, 7, 9 and 31 are breaking up. All problem channels are HD.

Edited by Phil T, 21 October 2010 - 06:01 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   patricw

patricw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:05 PM

Same here in Longmont... SD locals are all okay. Strictly HD problem

#36 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:42 PM

I went away for 30 minutes and just came back. All seem fine now. Strange

#37 OFFLINE   DJ Rob

DJ Rob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:24 PM

Saw it here too...

Directv HR44-500, HR24-100, HR24-500
Samsung PN50A650, Denon AVR-2807

#38 OFFLINE   patricw

patricw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:05 PM

Is anyone still experiencing the static lines (white and or green lines) flashing on KUSA? We're still seeing them, especially on local newscasts, and during late night programming (Jimmy Fallon)?

#39 OFFLINE   DJ Rob

DJ Rob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:27 PM

I'm seeing audio drops from KCNC over the last few days and those video artifacts on KUSA.

Directv HR44-500, HR24-100, HR24-500
Samsung PN50A650, Denon AVR-2807

#40 OFFLINE   kruegs

kruegs

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:51 AM

Is anyone still experiencing the static lines (white and or green lines) flashing on KUSA? We're still seeing them, especially on local newscasts, and during late night programming (Jimmy Fallon)?

Yes, this is my single biggest pet-peeve. I can see they on every single newscast regardless of time of day etc. Always KUSA (ch 9). Last night it was particularly bad on the 10PM newscast. UGH!!!! :nono2:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...