Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Philadelphia, PA

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:28 PM

DMA: Philadelphia, PA
Established: 11/22/2005

Edited by Gary Toma, 04 July 2014 - 06:31 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   illuminations25

illuminations25

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:13 PM

WPVI - ABC
9/21/08
9:45 - 10:10

Several times during this time period the audio during the Emmys would cut out sometimes up to 15 seconds. Picture appeared fine only pixelated one time during the cut outs but the rest of the time picture was uninterrupted and it was just audio.

This is the same channel that had HORRIBLE picture and audio problems earlier this summer. (Lots of pixelation with green squares and huge audio cut outs, made Lost absolutely UNWATCHABLE.) They seem to have gotten better, but this seems to be the one of the only stations here in Philly area that has problems with the HD feed.

#3 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:08 PM

Fox 29 HD
12/8/08
1300 - 2000

Most of the day - really bad audio "brrrrrrrrrip" sounds, and a fair number of video lockups.. Both receivers, reported on other threads here.

#4 OFFLINE   j0hnnyv

j0hnnyv

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:41 PM

Yes all 4 HD receivers in the house had this happening on FOX 29 HD during both football games from 1-7pm EST. Every other local channel and the Sunday Ticket channels were perfect. I thought it was my sat signal due to very high wind gusts here in NJ but not when every other channel was crystal. Any ideas on the cause of this?
Current Setup:
(1) HR24-100
(2) H24-100

50" Panasonic Viera 3D 1080p Plasma TCP50VT25

D* Package:
CHOICE Ultimate™ — Locals Included
HD+Whole Room DVR
HBO/SHO/STZ
HD EXTRA PACK
SPORTS PACK

Happy customer since 09/08

#5 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:33 AM

Added PBS - WHYY (12) to the lineup
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:16 AM

For the past few days 6 and 29 have been 'ghosty'. (likely the others but I havent watched)

I hadn't seen this thread before now or would have reported this back in June as well. There's another thread about it and it's not just my issue.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=160391

signal levels are fine but the pic just freezes and the audio continues but then the picture catches up. I don't know how else to describe it.
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
HR10-250 63 hrs w/DB8 antenna (parts :))
1/2 full Sony T60 (historical value)

#7 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:46 AM

For the past few days 6 and 29 have been 'ghosty'. (likely the others but I havent watched)

I hadn't seen this thread before now or would have reported this back in June as well. There's another thread about it and it's not just my issue.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=160391

signal levels are fine but the pic just freezes and the audio continues but then the picture catches up. I don't know how else to describe it.

I've been having the same issues over the past few days, all locals are having pixilation problems on a regular basis. I don't see this on the national channels. All signal levels are above 88 with most being in the 96+ range. Local 6 and 29 are the worst of the bunch, with the problem showing itself at least once per hour long program.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read a report that said the typical symptoms of stress were eating too much, drinking too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Who are they kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day.

Directv 3/1998-9/2011
now with Verizon FIOS and loving the faster DVR and being able to use both the external & internal drives at the same time

#8 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

I have been having intermittent problems with HD Philly locals for about 5 days. I get lots of screen breakups and 771s during these periods. The last time I saw problems was on the evening of Aug 17 between 11:30PM and midnight. Channels 3 and 10 were especially bad.

Another thing I notice is that when I set the guide to show SD duplicates it doesnt show dups for 3, 6, 10, 17 or 57. Only PBS Ch 12 shows both channels.

2H/1J

#9 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:01 AM

Same thing here. I'm even seeing the old green vomit pixelization on 29.

OTA is fine.

Help!

#10 OFFLINE   1kyardstare

1kyardstare

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:11 PM

There is another thread on this topic as well. I have been having problems for sometime as well with locals (more so in the last few days). Also been having a nagging Guide Info not updated issue for weeks. I have a technician coming to the house tonight to troubleshoot.

We did receive a automated call yesterday stating that there is a known problem in the the viewing area (philly area) but it had been fixed. I have still kept the appointment however and I will see what happens.

#11 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:52 PM

Hi - the problem persists on 'PVI (ABC, channel 6). Unfortunately, I can't get it ota since they moved back to VHF, so I'm stuck.

It's watchable, but gets really bad coming out of local commercials back to network TV.

#12 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:09 AM

There is another thread on this topic as well. I have been having problems for sometime as well with locals (more so in the last few days). Also been having a nagging Guide Info not updated issue for weeks. I have a technician coming to the house tonight to troubleshoot.

We did receive a automated call yesterday stating that there is a known problem in the the viewing area (philly area) but it had been fixed. I have still kept the appointment however and I will see what happens.

No this has NOT been fixed. Still having problems with wpvi 6. It actually seems to be worse this morning.
I read a report that said the typical symptoms of stress were eating too much, drinking too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Who are they kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day.

Directv 3/1998-9/2011
now with Verizon FIOS and loving the faster DVR and being able to use both the external & internal drives at the same time

#13 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:45 AM

As far as I know DIRECTV is aware of the issue at this point. No ETA on improvement, though.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#14 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:55 AM

this bites. Came home yesterday to frozen 29. I thought I need a reboot but just did a FF and it kicked in. I'm glad nothing needed to be recorded during the day. Unsure it would have recorded right or not.
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
HR10-250 63 hrs w/DB8 antenna (parts :))
1/2 full Sony T60 (historical value)

#15 OFFLINE   djedc

djedc

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:47 AM

this bites. Came home yesterday to frozen 29. I thought I need a reboot but just did a FF and it kicked in. I'm glad nothing needed to be recorded during the day. Unsure it would have recorded right or not.

Had the same thing ... frozen channel 6 changed the channel and then
started to work. This was around 11:30 pm

#16 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:59 AM

Does anyone else think that this is getting worse in the past day or so? Last night all 4 major locals were unwatchable after 11:00pm. Nationals were all fine.

Directv 3/1998-9/2011

#17 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:41 AM

dhhaines,
Yep - it's getting worse

#18 OFFLINE   djedc

djedc

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:08 AM

Knock on wood....
It looks like the Philly locals are working.

#19 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:11 AM

Knock on wood....
It looks like the Philly locals are working.

Agreed haven't seen any problems since last week. Hopefully they've resolved whatever the issue was and it won't return.

Directv 3/1998-9/2011

#20 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:32 AM

Philly locals seemed to be OK for a few days. However on the evening of Aug 27 between 11PM and 1AM I had intermittent LOS problems with Chs 3,6 and 10.

2H/1J

Protected By... spam firewall...And...