Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Honolulu, HI

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:30 PM

DMA: Honolulu, HI
Established: 10/31/2007

Edited by Gary Toma, 04 July 2014 - 05:44 PM.
updated list of HD Locals

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:28 PM

As you can see, nobody is coming here yet for news and gossip about DirecTV in Hawaii. But you'll find some info in the AVSforum Hawaii HD thread. There is a rumor that KHNL will go HD on DirecTV and Dish in connection with the Jan. 15 digital transition.
Greg

#3 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:40 AM

I hope that someone at DirecTV realizes that Honolulu is still not getting the local NBC affiliate in HD. I just looked at the DirecTV website hoping to find news of plans for new HD local service for Honolulu, but applying the local filter to HD channels available, I see, among others, the following listed:
  • NBC - KHNL (13)
  • MYTV - KFVE (5)
It's not true, though. They are still in SD here on DirecTV (though they are HD over the air, on cable, and on Dish).
Greg

#4 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:25 PM

I see, among others, the following listed:

• NBC - KHNL (13)
It's not true, though.

Now, at long last, DirecTV is carrying the NBC Hawaii affiliate KHNL in HD.
Greg

#5 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:02 AM

The CW network is now available in HD OTA and on cable in Honolulu, according to this announcement: http://khon2.com/201...igh-definition/.  The CW is carried here as channel 2-2 on DirecTV.  Although the DirecTV channel has some shows with the HD mark shown on the schedule, actually it is still in SD.  I hope DirecTV will carry it in HD.

Greg

#6 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

Greg,

Your KHON CW channel record in the TPN Map is an MPEG4 channel - typically an HD channel,  but as is obvious to you, the MPEG4 payload is apparently now standard def.  This channel description is also shown with an "A3" prefix, the usual descriptor for an HD channel.

I would suspect that you will have this CW programming in HD very soon.  All the necessary structure is in place.  But I would also suspect that your delay in getting this HD channel is not a technical issue but more probably a financial or contractual problem that needs to be resolved.

#7 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

HD Locals available in this DMA

• ABC - KITV (4)
  • CBS - KGMB (9)
  • FOX - KHON (2)
  • PBS - KHET (11)

• NBC - KHNL (13) [please add]
  • MNT - KFVE (5)   [please add]

I would suspect that you will have this CW programming in HD very soon.  All the necessary structure is in place.  But I would also suspect that your delay in getting this HD channel is not a technical issue but more probably a financial or contractual problem that needs to be resolved.

I hope it's soon.  By the way, the initial post in this thread could now include two other HD locals, as I've indicated above.

Greg

#8 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

Greg,

All the "Post #1" entries in each of the DMA-Specific threads are long overdue for an update.  We are working that issue right now.

In the meantime - are you familiar with our Local-into-Local master database, which we update each week?  There is a little bit of a learning curve, but once you understand it, all the information that we have is at your fingertips...

So are you familiar the the TPN Map data?

Gary

#9 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:45 PM

So are you familiar the the TPN Map data?

I've looked at it in the past.  Thanks for the pointer, but I'm not really very interested in those details.

Edited by GregLee, 10 June 2014 - 11:48 PM.

Greg

#10 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

Greg, After a little reflection, I have decided not to take on the task of updating the 'Post #1' entry for each the active HD Local threads in this forum. The endeavour to update each of those 196 posts is daunting enough. But the biggest problem of all is maintaining all those posts in accuracy. I am not sure it is viable to try to maintain each of those threads on a weekly basis.  Separate threads for each DMA is an excellent means of sharing information, but it does not work well as a basis for a vast amount of data.

So we are now on Plan B.

I have placed an Excel database of all the Directv Locals as a 'sticky' thread in this forum. This thread is totally accurate because it is just a modification of the complete and more complex technical data which is produced each week as a part the the TPN Map. It is a viable reference and resource.

#11 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

I see.  Well, thanks anyway.

Greg

Protected By... spam firewall...And...