Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Indianapolis, IN

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bamm1956

bamm1956

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:24 PM

I too have noticed how poor the quality is lately especially NBC & ABC. Very noticable in fast action such as sports or even from when switching from one camera to another. Very distracting. Almost as if the picture was smearing or some type of compression of the signal resulting in what looks like a low-res signal. Other times the entire picture just doesn't look very well in focus.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Dan1

Dan1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:22 AM

WXIN - Fox 59 had terrible sound last night on HD. SD was fine. Lots of background noise. On both Terminator and Prison Break.

#23 OFFLINE   Doerner

Doerner

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:46 PM

I had to put the closed captioning on just so I could understand what was being said during Terminator. It was a nightmare. First time I've noticed this problem on any of the locals.

#24 OFFLINE   hawk259

hawk259

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:00 AM

I had to put the closed captioning on just so I could understand what was being said during Terminator. It was a nightmare. First time I've noticed this problem on any of the locals.

WOW, that SUCKED! I just watched this recording last night and I had to do the same thing. What is up with Fox?

I also watched the Desperate Housewives and while the audio was OK, the picture was really jerky.

What is the best course of action to get the locals fixed? Who do we call?

Brian

#25 OFFLINE   hoosierfan227

hoosierfan227

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:34 AM

WOW, that SUCKED! I just watched this recording last night and I had to do the same thing. What is up with Fox?

I also watched the Desperate Housewives and while the audio was OK, the picture was really jerky.

What is the best course of action to get the locals fixed? Who do we call?

Brian

I agree that the Indy locals on D* have been terrible lately with Channel 13 the worst. I would go to the station's website and use the contact information to send an e-mail.

A poster over in avsforum has been communicating with channel 13 on the issue and supposedly WTHR is working with D* on the issue. In the meantime I have reverted back to my antenna.

#26 OFFLINE   bscott

bscott

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:18 AM

Last nights Colts/Chargers game was MUCH better on WTHR than the Sunday night games have been for weeks. I only noticed a few artifacts and that was very fast moving action and I think I only noticed them because I was looking for them.

#27 OFFLINE   bhelton71

bhelton71

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

• Registered
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:41 AM

Last nights Colts/Chargers game was MUCH better on WTHR than the Sunday night games have been for weeks. I only noticed a few artifacts and that was very fast moving action and I think I only noticed them because I was looking for them.

I watched it also - it did look better but I was experiencing some dropped frames - ie a couple of times it looked like a player was doing stop motion animation. Also I compared to 13-1 from an AM21 - didn't see it there. I did see macroblocking particularly on fleshtones - like the center's arm just before a snap stood out to me.

#28 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:08 AM

Added PBS - WFYI (20) and CW - WTTV (4) to the lineup
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#29 ONLINE   nucat95

nucat95

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:18 PM

Anybody in the Indy area having trouble with their local hd channels not having any sound?

On both of my HDDRVs, I have no sound on WISH (8), WTHR (13), WXIN (59) or WFYI (20)

Both WTTV (4) and WRTV (6) have sound.

All SD versions of the above channels have sound.

#30 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:45 PM

Just checked the HD channels from the satellite for 4, 6, 8, 13, 20, and 59. All sound fine with my HR21.

#31 OFFLINE   bama2032

bama2032

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:49 PM

I have had problems on all of my receivers while watching the bowl games today on all of the hd locals on dtv. Picture is blurry at times and pixelating. Anyone else having problems? Switched to over the air and it came in clear. ESPNHD other HD channels are fine only local hd. I called dtv and they wrote up a service request.

Anyone else having problems in the Indy area? Or anyoe have any thoughts as to why?

Thanks

#32 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:32 PM

I agree, Bama. I was watching the NHL hockey game from Wrigley Field today on WTHR in HD via DirecTV and found the blurring and pixelation to be annoying. I switched to WTHR OTA and the picture was much better.

#33 OFFLINE   bscott

bscott

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:47 PM

I had no problem with sound....but I do agree that WTHR, WRTV, WXIN and WISH all had MAJOR pixellation issues during the day. WTHR had been bad for a couple of months especially noticeable during Sunday night football but had cleared up over the last month or so. Now all 4 major networks were bad today. WRTV (ABC) was at times almost unwatchable. WISH (CBS) was just as bad.

#34 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:29 AM

Things change. Last night and this morning I'm getting picture but no sound on WFYI-HD Ch. 20. The other HD locals are fine. This is with an HR21.

#35 OFFLINE   hoosierfan227

hoosierfan227

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:24 PM

I had no problem with sound....but I do agree that WTHR, WRTV, WXIN and WISH all had MAJOR pixellation issues during the day. WTHR had been bad for a couple of months especially noticeable during Sunday night football but had cleared up over the last month or so. Now all 4 major networks were bad today. WRTV (ABC) was at times almost unwatchable. WISH (CBS) was just as bad.

I agree the picture has been really bad the last few days. This problem occurred a month ago and then it seemed to clear up.

I contacted WTHR today and they said the issue is with D* over compressing the local signals. It has to be D* because when I switch to OTA the picture improves significantly. WTHR is going to contact D* and the other locals GM's and report the issue. Maybe they can bring enough heat to get it corrected

#36 OFFLINE   bama2032

bama2032

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:39 PM

I agree the picture has been really bad the last few days. This problem occurred a month ago and then it seemed to clear up.

I contacted WTHR today and they said the issue is with D* over compressing the local signals. It has to be D* because when I switch to OTA the picture improves significantly. WTHR is going to contact D* and the other locals GM's and report the issue. Maybe they can bring enough heat to get it corrected

Hopefully they will get more accomplished with D* than I did...I completely agree with it being a problem on their end. I am really getting tired of not being able to speak w/someone at D* that is actually working on the problem instead of csr who doesnt have a clue...

#37 OFFLINE   fliptheflop

fliptheflop

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:24 AM

Anyone else have major issues on wthr 13 (during the office and 30 rock) and wrtv 6 (during Grey's Anatomy) last night. All my recordings on those channels have major braking up and the brrripp sound through out the recordings. Also happened on WISHTV channel 8 (Harper's Island).

#38 OFFLINE   hawk259

hawk259

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:12 AM

Anyone else have major issues on wthr 13 (during the office and 30 rock) and wrtv 6 (during Grey's Anatomy) last night. All my recordings on those channels have major braking up and the brrripp sound through out the recordings. Also happened on WISHTV channel 8 (Harper's Island).

I had the same problem while trying to watch the news at 11pm (was watching recorded stuff before then). I rebooted the box and went to bed.

#39 OFFLINE   fliptheflop

fliptheflop

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:11 PM

I had the same problem while trying to watch the news at 11pm (was watching recorded stuff before then). I rebooted the box and went to bed.

I went ahead and recorded the replay of the news to see if it was still doing it and it wasn't looks like it was a problem from 8-11:30 ish.

#40 OFFLINE   fliptheflop

fliptheflop

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

Anybody else seeing that every show on WTTV channel 4 that's suppose to be HD isn't?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...