Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Baltimore, MD

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   markbulla

markbulla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:03 AM

First, thanks for helping out. I just was wondering if you could get DirecTV to give you a simple setup so that you can see what is happening? Do you have access to the Comcast, FIOS and Dish feeds? Just seems like it would help in troubleshooting.

We currently have access to Baltimore City Comcast (analog only) and DirecTV SD. We have boxes on order for DirecTV HD and Dish, but they aren't in yet, although we're wired for them (DirecTV and Dish provide them to us for free!). FIOS isn't in the area, so we can't get that. I'll probably swap out the analog only cable box for an HD one, but I'm out of inputs to the monitor wall, so I can't have both...

I appreciate you guys keeping me up to date with problems. Even after we get the additional receivers in, the master control operators can't listen to all of the sources at the same time, and the on-screen alarms won't show that the audio is stuttering, just if it's there or not. In addition, although it doesn't really apply to this group, we don't have any way to monitor any of the other areas that Comcast (or any other cable company, for that matter) serves.

I was thinking about getting a bunch of sling boxes and putting them out all over the place, but I haven't gotten anywhere with the idea, and I'm pretty sure the corporate IT guys would have a cow if I were to tell them that I wanted to stream video and audio from multiple sources back to the station.

Thanks again -

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   hoyty76

hoyty76

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:52 AM

Even after we get the additional receivers in, the master control operators can't listen to all of the sources at the same time, and the on-screen alarms won't show that the audio is stuttering, just if it's there or not.

I have no idea how your monitoring works but just in case. With the stuttering the Dolby Digital signal actually stops and starts up. Not sure if you could use that as a warning trigger.

#53 OFFLINE   markbulla

markbulla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:46 PM

I have no idea how your monitoring works but just in case. With the stuttering the Dolby Digital signal actually stops and starts up. Not sure if you could use that as a warning trigger.

There's a delay of 5 seconds (I think) in the audio alarm so that it doesn't (usually)go off during quiet scenes, or black spaces between the program and commercials.

Unless the audio goes away for that long, the alarm doesn't show. I don't know if it does, you guys would have to tell me at this point - I have Dish, and I get my Baltimore local channels OTA (I have the DC locals in HD from Dish and OTA, so I can choose).

Thanks for the input. As soon as I get the boxes installed, I'll find out for myself!

Mark

#54 OFFLINE   EricHarley

EricHarley

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:13 PM

I stumbled across this forum looking to find out more about what's going on with my OTA antenna reception.

I'm getting audio stutter on WBFF 45-1 while watching Judge Judy this afternoon when I use the ATSC decoder in my Toshiba 20HL67 television.

I just picked up one of those DTV-coupon converter boxes, a Zenith DTT901, and hooked it up to my antenna. The signal was decoded with no audio stutters.

#55 OFFLINE   bigref

bigref

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:16 PM

No problems here, today OTA or Directv
BigRef in Baltimore

Sony 55 LCD HD
LG 42 Plasma HD
2-H20
Sunfire Pre-Pro
Chiro 5 channel amp
Martin Logan front speakers
Velodyne sub
B&K surrounds
Universal 3000 Touch Screen
DirecTv since 1994

#56 OFFLINE   bigref

bigref

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:33 PM

Was just talking to a friend in Hardford County with Comcast SD and they were having audio problems with Fox last night
BigRef in Baltimore

Sony 55 LCD HD
LG 42 Plasma HD
2-H20
Sunfire Pre-Pro
Chiro 5 channel amp
Velodyne sub
B&K surrounds
DirecTv since 1994

#57 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,881 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:07 AM

I stumbled across this forum looking to find out more about what's going on with my OTA antenna reception.

I'm getting audio stutter on WBFF 45-1 while watching Judge Judy this afternoon when I use the ATSC decoder in my Toshiba 20HL67 television.

I just picked up one of those DTV-coupon converter boxes, a Zenith DTT901, and hooked it up to my antenna. The signal was decoded with no audio stutters.

Best place for this information is http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=793124

See you there!
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#58 OFFLINE   bigref

bigref

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:09 AM

WMAR has been broadcasting a number of shows in SD when the description claims HD. This is not DirecTV but from the station itself. Any suggestions?
BigRef in Baltimore

Sony 55 LCD HD
LG 42 Plasma HD
2-H20
Sunfire Pre-Pro
Chiro 5 channel amp
Velodyne sub
B&K surrounds
DirecTv since 1994

#59 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,881 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:34 AM

WMAR has been broadcasting a number of shows in SD when the description claims HD. This is not DirecTV but from the station itself. Any suggestions?

Which shows? I have not had a problem with ABC programming since they fixed their issues from a little while back.

I have noticed that if a syndicated show is HD anywhere, the guide data tends to say it is HD everywhere. That is not a WMAR only issue but it seems to be a Tribune issue.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#60 OFFLINE   mjones73

mjones73

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:06 AM

This thread had some interesting info pertaining to the lovely sounds we get from Fox HD via Directv from time to time.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=141388

I have issues with CBS glitching on my HR20, seems to be on and off, the whole screen will lock up momentarily and go gray and pixelated then clear up.

#61 OFFLINE   bigref

bigref

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:30 AM

Which shows? I have not had a problem with ABC programming since they fixed their issues from a little while back.

I have noticed that if a syndicated show is HD anywhere, the guide data tends to say it is HD everywhere. That is not a WMAR only issue but it seems to be a Tribune issue.

I know its stupid but "Wheel of fortune" and "Jeopardy" used to be in HD and still show in the guide but for some reason they are not. I know there are a few more, but the light bulb just went off! :confused:
BigRef in Baltimore

Sony 55 LCD HD
LG 42 Plasma HD
2-H20
Sunfire Pre-Pro
Chiro 5 channel amp
Velodyne sub
B&K surrounds
DirecTv since 1994

#62 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:02 PM

No sound on WBFF HD (Fox) SAT in Baltimore for Prison Break at 9pm tonight... OTA fine. Anyone else?

#63 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:03 PM

No sound on WBFF HD (Fox) SAT in Baltimore for Prison Break at 9pm tonight... OTA fine. Anyone else?

It's fine here on DIRECTV.

#64 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:11 PM

Hmm, that was odd. It's fine now, but for at least the first 45 seconds it had no sound at all for me so I switched to the OTA feed.

#65 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,960 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:06 PM

PBS - WMPT (22) has been added.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#66 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:41 PM

I've been watching NFL football on WJZ channel 13 today ( Sun. ) The picture and audio was breaking up during the first game then the Raven's game came on and the breakup continued. I swictched to my OTA antenna and saw that the breakup continued on this channel as well. Occasionally the picture would drop out of HD into an SD signal where picture and audio were stable. So I'm assuming this was a CBS or channel 13 problem. I'm still on my antenna and currently the picture is back in HD and is stable for now. When I say I'm on my antenna I mean my rabbit ears that connect directly to the tv not through my HR 20.
John

#67 OFFLINE   awalt

awalt

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

I've been watching NFL football on WJZ channel 13 today ( Sun. ) The picture and audio was breaking up during the first game then the Raven's game came on and the breakup continued. I swictched to my OTA antenna and saw that the breakup continued on this channel as well. Occasionally the picture would drop out of HD into an SD signal where picture and audio were stable. So I'm assuming this was a CBS or channel 13 problem. I'm still on my antenna and currently the picture is back in HD and is stable for now. When I say I'm on my antenna I mean my rabbit ears that connect directly to the tv not through my HR 20.
John

I had this same problem today, 1/4/09, from around 11 AM - 2 PM intermittently.

I was watching the NFL game (Dolphins Ravens), and on our local HD channel the screen is freezing and breaking up as if in a heavy storm. It is happening on ALL local channels (at least the 3 I have checked). I am in Baltimore.

I checked the transponder map, and it appears our local WJZ WBAL and WMAR are all on transponder 15, 103w. I assume this is 103(s) since the other 103 has NA for transponder 15.

Anyway, each time it happens I flip to another channel so I can bring up the menu, and transponder 15 on 103(s) is consistently 86 or 87.

I also checked on my other receiver (both are HR20-700), and saw the same problem. SD broadcast was fine. I did not have my OTA antenna hooked up so I could not check that, now I do.

After around 2 PM it went away and has been fine. Seems like a DTV problem since signal strength was fine, occurred on multiple receivers, SD was fine.

#68 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:05 PM

Having audio sync problems tonight with WBFF news. I watched 24 live before the news came on and it was fine but as soon as the news started the audio has been out of sync.

EDIT: I just switched over to OTA and having the same problem.

Edited by Michael D'Angelo, 26 January 2009 - 09:16 PM.

#69 OFFLINE   keith42

keith42

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:16 PM

I'm so glad Fox45 (Baltimore) now has King of Queens in HD.

Of course, the audio is absolutely unlistenable.

This is ridiculous.

#70 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:10 PM

I am having a lot of audio problems tonight with "Chuck" on NBC HD (WBAL). Before tonight I don't remember ever having problems with NBC.

#71 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:47 AM

WBAL, channel 11 has been having major audio problems for almost a week now. Occasionally a high pitched whine occurs that's painful to listen to. It's occurring on the OTA channel as well as DTV. Today Their entire HD broadcast goes black intermittently so I've been switching between the SD and HD channels.
John

#72 OFFLINE   hoyty76

hoyty76

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:52 AM

Almost all the locals are breaking up this morning. It seems odd that they would all be having encoder / signal issues. It seems like the DTV reciever isn't getting a good signal. It is happening on all the HD channels this morning. Anyone else seeing this?

#73 OFFLINE   jonbbrad

jonbbrad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:10 AM

I'm seeing the same thing.... thought after all the weather we've been having that I might need to tweek the dish but my signal it still banging.....

#74 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:35 AM

Does anyone know what Sat. and transponder number Baltimore's HD locals are on? There has been intermittent breakup today but checking signal strengths everything seems ok.
John

#75 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:04 AM

Does anyone know what Sat. and transponder number Baltimore's HD locals are on? There has been intermittent breakup today but checking signal strengths everything seems ok.
John

I know our HD locals come from SAT 103s but do not know what transponder.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...