Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Baltimore, MD

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:42 AM

Yep, same here - recorded Family guy last night and it was unwatchable. I'm getting extremely frustrated with this issue. I appreciate Mark coming by here to help.

As requested, Mark, I am running an HR21-100 and HR21-700 and have the same issues on both. The software versions are different on both so it's likely not the software.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   bigref

bigref

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:53 AM

Happens on my h20's also
BigRef in Baltimore

Sony 55 LCD HD
LG 42 Plasma HD
2-H20
Sunfire Pre-Pro
Chiro 5 channel amp
Martin Logan front speakers
Velodyne sub
B&K surrounds
Universal 3000 Touch Screen
DirecTv since 1994

#43 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:40 PM

Tried to watch King of the Hill on WBFF 45 last night and it was pretty much unwatchable. Audio had a buzzsaw every 15 - 30 seconds. All other locals seemed perfectly fine.

HR21-700 (national release)

#44 OFFLINE   bigref

bigref

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:10 PM

The sound is messed up now during Judge Judy
BigRef in Baltimore

Sony 55 LCD HD
LG 42 Plasma HD
2-H20
Sunfire Pre-Pro
Chiro 5 channel amp
Velodyne sub
B&K surrounds
DirecTv since 1994

#45 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,282 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:24 PM

The sound is messed up now during Judge Judy

Commercial for AmbienCrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#46 OFFLINE   markbulla

markbulla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:30 AM

Commercial for AmbienCrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Thanks for all of the info. Can anyone tell me if the problem is still occurring this morning?

DirecTV called the station last night to tell us we had PSIP problems, although the symptoms they were complaing about (the
"- Audio Drop-outs
- Static
- Motor boating - audio/video fluttering sound and picture (as described by Brett)
- Lipsync Issues"
(from an e-mail to me from the nighttime engineer here)) aren't consistant with PSIP issues.

I've checked everything here (yet again) this morning and find no issue from the transmitter. I'm going to call them back, but it would be handy to know if the problem is still going on.

Thanks again - and thanks to you all for calling DirecTV and complaining! I think they are starting to take the problem more seriously!

Mark

#47 OFFLINE   bigref

bigref

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:56 AM

at 9:55 it looks and sounds ok 45 that is
BigRef in Baltimore

Sony 55 LCD HD
LG 42 Plasma HD
2-H20
Sunfire Pre-Pro
Chiro 5 channel amp
Velodyne sub
B&K surrounds
DirecTv since 1994

#48 OFFLINE   markbulla

markbulla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:33 AM

at 9:55 it looks and sounds ok 45 that is

Figures...

Mark

#49 OFFLINE   hoyty76

hoyty76

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:50 PM

Thanks for all of the info. Can anyone tell me if the problem is still occurring this morning?

Mark

First, thanks for helping out. I just was wondering if you could get DirecTV to give you a simple setup so that you can see what is happening? Do you have access to the Comcast, FIOS and Dish feeds? Just seems like it would help in troubleshooting.

#50 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:35 AM

Fox 45 ok this morning, Wed. Actually last night was good as well, only a few intermittent stutters. But I've heard that on some of the other stations as well.
John

#51 OFFLINE   markbulla

markbulla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:03 AM

First, thanks for helping out. I just was wondering if you could get DirecTV to give you a simple setup so that you can see what is happening? Do you have access to the Comcast, FIOS and Dish feeds? Just seems like it would help in troubleshooting.

We currently have access to Baltimore City Comcast (analog only) and DirecTV SD. We have boxes on order for DirecTV HD and Dish, but they aren't in yet, although we're wired for them (DirecTV and Dish provide them to us for free!). FIOS isn't in the area, so we can't get that. I'll probably swap out the analog only cable box for an HD one, but I'm out of inputs to the monitor wall, so I can't have both...

I appreciate you guys keeping me up to date with problems. Even after we get the additional receivers in, the master control operators can't listen to all of the sources at the same time, and the on-screen alarms won't show that the audio is stuttering, just if it's there or not. In addition, although it doesn't really apply to this group, we don't have any way to monitor any of the other areas that Comcast (or any other cable company, for that matter) serves.

I was thinking about getting a bunch of sling boxes and putting them out all over the place, but I haven't gotten anywhere with the idea, and I'm pretty sure the corporate IT guys would have a cow if I were to tell them that I wanted to stream video and audio from multiple sources back to the station.

Thanks again -

#52 OFFLINE   hoyty76

hoyty76

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:52 AM

Even after we get the additional receivers in, the master control operators can't listen to all of the sources at the same time, and the on-screen alarms won't show that the audio is stuttering, just if it's there or not.

I have no idea how your monitoring works but just in case. With the stuttering the Dolby Digital signal actually stops and starts up. Not sure if you could use that as a warning trigger.

#53 OFFLINE   markbulla

markbulla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:46 PM

I have no idea how your monitoring works but just in case. With the stuttering the Dolby Digital signal actually stops and starts up. Not sure if you could use that as a warning trigger.

There's a delay of 5 seconds (I think) in the audio alarm so that it doesn't (usually)go off during quiet scenes, or black spaces between the program and commercials.

Unless the audio goes away for that long, the alarm doesn't show. I don't know if it does, you guys would have to tell me at this point - I have Dish, and I get my Baltimore local channels OTA (I have the DC locals in HD from Dish and OTA, so I can choose).

Thanks for the input. As soon as I get the boxes installed, I'll find out for myself!

Mark

#54 OFFLINE   EricHarley

EricHarley

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:13 PM

I stumbled across this forum looking to find out more about what's going on with my OTA antenna reception.

I'm getting audio stutter on WBFF 45-1 while watching Judge Judy this afternoon when I use the ATSC decoder in my Toshiba 20HL67 television.

I just picked up one of those DTV-coupon converter boxes, a Zenith DTT901, and hooked it up to my antenna. The signal was decoded with no audio stutters.

#55 OFFLINE   bigref

bigref

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:16 PM

No problems here, today OTA or Directv
BigRef in Baltimore

Sony 55 LCD HD
LG 42 Plasma HD
2-H20
Sunfire Pre-Pro
Chiro 5 channel amp
Velodyne sub
B&K surrounds
DirecTv since 1994

#56 OFFLINE   bigref

bigref

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:33 PM

Was just talking to a friend in Hardford County with Comcast SD and they were having audio problems with Fox last night
BigRef in Baltimore

Sony 55 LCD HD
LG 42 Plasma HD
2-H20
Sunfire Pre-Pro
Chiro 5 channel amp
Velodyne sub
B&K surrounds
DirecTv since 1994

#57 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,282 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:07 AM

I stumbled across this forum looking to find out more about what's going on with my OTA antenna reception.

I'm getting audio stutter on WBFF 45-1 while watching Judge Judy this afternoon when I use the ATSC decoder in my Toshiba 20HL67 television.

I just picked up one of those DTV-coupon converter boxes, a Zenith DTT901, and hooked it up to my antenna. The signal was decoded with no audio stutters.

Best place for this information is http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=793124

See you there!
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#58 OFFLINE   bigref

bigref

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:09 AM

WMAR has been broadcasting a number of shows in SD when the description claims HD. This is not DirecTV but from the station itself. Any suggestions?
BigRef in Baltimore

Sony 55 LCD HD
LG 42 Plasma HD
2-H20
Sunfire Pre-Pro
Chiro 5 channel amp
Velodyne sub
B&K surrounds
DirecTv since 1994

#59 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,282 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:34 AM

WMAR has been broadcasting a number of shows in SD when the description claims HD. This is not DirecTV but from the station itself. Any suggestions?

Which shows? I have not had a problem with ABC programming since they fixed their issues from a little while back.

I have noticed that if a syndicated show is HD anywhere, the guide data tends to say it is HD everywhere. That is not a WMAR only issue but it seems to be a Tribune issue.

#60 OFFLINE   mjones73

mjones73

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:06 AM

This thread had some interesting info pertaining to the lovely sounds we get from Fox HD via Directv from time to time.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=141388

I have issues with CBS glitching on my HR20, seems to be on and off, the whole screen will lock up momentarily and go gray and pixelated then clear up.

spam firewall