Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: San Diego, CA

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   starchilds

starchilds

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:04 AM

Who is to blame for the poor HD picture quality of live sporting events on local channels (San Diego) via DTV. Its only on locals, switch to ESPN, TBS, Sunday Ticket no issues. What can be done short of installing "off air" antenna. This is unacceptable if one is blaming the other. If using antenna, can it run through hd dvr with all dvr functionality?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Kdiddy

Kdiddy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:20 AM

The San Diego HD locals have really gone from suck to blow over the last few months. NFL games are nearly unwatchable with the pixelation/compression artifacts. Funny how the games on the NFL Sunday Ticket channels look considerably better. I can flip back and forth between cable and DirecTv and the picture quality on sports is vastly inferior on DirecTv. I end up leaving it on my cable feed for sports now on the locals due to the poor quality.

Is this poor picture quality just a case of DirecTv getting carried away with compression rates of locals? Or something else?

#23 OFFLINE   dan9960

dan9960

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:15 PM

When watching the Sugar Bowl last night the HD picture kept looking fuzzy and then snap back to HD quality. Lots of ghosting and pixelation. Today for the Cotton Bowl, on the same FOX channel, it is doing the same thing. No other channels are doing this. All the other channels carrying bowl games are fine. Anyone else seeing this on FOX?

#24 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

When watching the Sugar Bowl last night the HD picture kept looking fuzzy and then snap back to HD quality. Lots of ghosting and pixelation. Today for the Cotton Bowl, on the same FOX channel, it is doing the same thing. No other channels are doing this. All the other channels carrying bowl games are fine. Anyone else seeing this on FOX?

I see the same issue on my Cox Clear QAM feed, and the LA local KTTV is showing just fine. I believe it's on Fox 5's end, as this type of thing is common with their broadcasts.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#25 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:50 AM

I see the same issue on my Cox Clear QAM feed, and the LA local KTTV is showing just fine. I believe it's on Fox 5's end, as this type of thing is common with their broadcasts.

KSWB 69 (Fox 5) is by far the worst, but Channel 8 (CBS) and Channel 39 (NBC) are just as bad at times. I thought it was a DVR issue until I was able to compare the two feeds on Sunday Ticket due to game overlap. I had just about had it and was ready to call for new equipment or an antenna adjustment, but now I know its the programing feed. I'm sending an e-mail to Direct. I think we all should. This is unacceptable. I noticed the problem of a few other programs as well.

#26 OFFLINE   dan9960

dan9960

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

Do you have a specific e-mail address? I'll send one too. I watch a lot of sports and trying to watch games on FOX 69 just ruins it. I'm glad they don't have the olympics!

#27 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:06 PM

Do you have a specific e-mail address? I'll send one too. I watch a lot of sports and trying to watch games on FOX 69 just ruins it. I'm glad they don't have the olympics!

http://support.directv.com/app/ask

#28 OFFLINE   dan9960

dan9960

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

Thanks

#29 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:00 AM

I know DirecTV has now made some changes to the San Diego feeds, has that improved things??

#30 OFFLINE   spunkyvision

spunkyvision

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:47 PM

Anyone else have a problem with San Diego Fox HD last night during Idol?
It was terrible between the audio center channels coming out the back speakers and video going to SD. Eventually it was fixed during the show but really annoying.

Was it just San Diego?

#31 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:51 AM

Any fellow San Diego DMA'ers have issues with KPBS 15? I seem to get a lot of pixelation issues with it during most every recording I watch. I do not have any where near as many issues with any other local station.
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#32 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:39 PM

Any fellow San Diego DMA'ers have issues with KPBS 15? I seem to get a lot of pixelation issues with it during most every recording I watch. I do not have any where near as many issues with any other local station.

I will pay special attention to PBS and check several recordings I already have. But in general, I have not noticed problems with PBS HD. I'm assuming you are not talking about PBS StdDef.

The usual problem here in San Diego has been with FOX/69...

#33 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:13 PM

Tonight on KFMB 8 (CBS) "The Big Bang Theory" recorded at 9:30. When I went to watch it at 10; the file showed a 30min show, however no recording occured, just a black screen that went immediately to the "Would you like to delete" popup.

For the record, "24" on KSWB 69 (FOX) recorded fine from 8:00 to 10:00.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#34 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:12 PM

There's a forum that's been around awhile specifically for the San Diego DMA. It's a good resource for overall San Diego television.

http://www.sandiegoh...orums/index.php
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

spam firewall