Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP622/ViP722 - L6.13 Software Experiences/Bugs Discussion

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:57 AM

L6.13 has started to spool to some ViP622/ViP722 customers. Please use this thread for discussing your experiences and bugs with this release.

Release notes can be found here.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:23 AM

HOORAY!!!!!

# Fix for the video only taking up 1/8 of the screen in the corner.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   barryaz1

barryaz1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:30 AM

L6.13 has started to spool to some ViP622/ViP722 customers. Please use this thread for discussing your experiences and bugs with this release.

Release notes can be found here.

So the Release notes say some 1080p fixes. Will Sony TV's now work? :confused:

#4 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:36 AM

So the Release notes say some 1080p fixes. Will Sony TV's now work? :confused:

Sorry, I don't have anymore details. I would just suggest trying and see. If you do test, please post your findings here so others know.

Thank you.
Rob

#5 OFFLINE   NetMXer

NetMXer

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:13 PM

Is there any way to force my receiver to download L6.13 or do I just have to wait until E* is ready to send it to me?

#6 OFFLINE   barryaz1

barryaz1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:15 PM

Sorry, I don't have anymore details. I would just suggest trying and see. If you do test, please post your findings here so others know.

Thank you.

Of course, although I've been pretty late in the update queue

#7 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:53 PM

Is there any way to force my receiver to download L6.13 or do I just have to wait until E* is ready to send it to me?

You have to wait. Echostar targets ranges of receivers, until your receiver is in the ranges they are targeting you will not get it. You can not force it to update to software you are not targeted for.
Rob

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,482 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 August 2008 - 02:22 PM

Sigh. I have ongoing communications with Dish and San Francisco's ABC station. I just sent the following email to both:

Well, here's the update. I can say with great confidence that your update L6.13 did nothing to alter the audio dropout situation. I recorded the 11:00 am local news on KGO 7 ABC. Live there were no problems. But recorded I had audio dropouts.

If you do communicate with KGO engineering, for specificity I can report that some dropout began in the weather portion beginning as the weather guy gave the temperature for Livermore and for a few seconds after that point the number of audio dropouts were enough to make the report worthless were he not standing next to a weather map.

The weird thing is I hooked a boom box up to the RCA audio outs and still get dropouts. But not exactly in the same place though still during the same general time frame on the weather.

So L6.13 didn't solve the intermittent audio dropout problem that we're also discussing on the Bay Area Folks: Audio drops on Fox and ABC thread. I'm still hoping that if they can focus on one data stream coming into their system they might find the problem.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#9 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:11 PM

Strange that they're rolling out 6.13 in a phased fashion, as the last two releases were blasted out to anyone powering off their receiver.

Currently I've got one 6.12 and one 6.13 722.

#10 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:15 PM

Phased releases are typical. My guess is, this way if a problem is discovered post release they can stop the release until fixes can be made.

The only time, lately, that I've seen a release spool to everyone at once is when it's a special release to fix a widespread issue.
Rob

#11 OFFLINE   thefunks67

thefunks67

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:00 PM

HOORAY!!!!!

# Fix for the video only taking up 1/8 of the screen in the corner.

What does this mean?

-Funk

#12 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:11 PM

What does this mean?

-Funk

There was a bug where after going through some menus that have a preview window of the video stream, where the video stays at the size and location of the preview window even after exiting the menu. Basically most of your TV is a black screen with a small video window in the upper right hand corner of your TV.
Rob

#13 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:21 PM

There was a bug where after going through some menus that have a preview window of the video stream, where the video stays at the size and location of the preview window even after exiting the menu. Basically most of your TV is a black screen with a small video window in the upper right hand corner of your TV.

Also, if you used TV2 and changed ratios from Zoom to Widescreen, the same thing would happen but in the upper left. Really annoying.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#14 OFFLINE   DAG

DAG

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:55 PM

Got this update at around noon today. The mini screen bug seems to be gone!
Model 622, replaced once by DISH in Feb., 2006

Software L635
Dual mode

OTAs via large antenna in attic
Panasonic 42" plasma industrial grade monitor
Component video via Audio Authority AA1154A component switcher
Toslink switched/converted to coax via AA1554A
Bose Lifestyle 20 using coax digital audio

#15 OFFLINE   audiomaster

audiomaster

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:07 AM

I got a replacement 622 four days ago (old one had no HDMI and off air tuner died. Everything was OK till this AM when, after about an hour of OK operation the box started endlessly rebooting. Power cord reset did not work. I don't know if the box got hit by new software last night or not and I can't check now cause it won't boot!
Anybody else seen this? If not, I guess it's get another box.

#16 OFFLINE   zuffy

zuffy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:03 AM

No update yet :( Can't wait to get the mini screen fixed so I can switch back to dual mode.

#17 OFFLINE   phatal

phatal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:17 AM

Just tested viewing 1080p VOD with my Sony KDS-R60XBR2. No dice. Still doesn't work. :confused: So what did they actually fix? Has anyone confirmed they were able to view I Am Legend in 1080p via E* VOD?

I'll have to wait till my other 622 gets the upgrade before I can test my other display.

#18 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,482 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:56 AM

Regarding my post above (#8), I sent my original and subsequent emails to Dish Quality and to Tech with a copy to ceo@. I then had interactions with Dish Quality providing technical information, including the one posted above (the others are posted on the Bay Area thread referred to above). This morning I received the standard email from Tech in response to my original email. The Tech form email is what I call the "busy work" email asking for information that they should be able to get off their own systems. Here is my response:

Dear tech@echostar.com:

It appears that you do not have my ongoing correspondence with dishquality@echostar with more technical information as part of your file on my original email. So I have included that information below. Here also is the information you requested in your non-case-specific form email.

• Model ID: ViP722 DVR HD
• Software Version: L6.13
• Receiver CA ID: R00XXXXXXXX-XX
• Smart Card CA: S19XXXXXXXX-XX

This is the information associated with our account which is also associated with our phone number XXX-XXX-XXXX.

I am also copying this to dishquality@echostar and ceo@dishnetwork so everyone is on the same page.

It was very disappointing the L6.13 didn't address this problem. Hopefully, L6.14 will be released over the weekend solving this problem as Fox is starting their new season Monday.

Me

#19 OFFLINE   Schizm

Schizm

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:43 AM

Strange that they're rolling out 6.13 in a phased fashion, as the last two releases were blasted out to anyone powering off their receiver.

Currently I've got one 6.12 and one 6.13 722.

I didn't receive 6.12 until last week. I even ran a few Check Switches and power cycled my 622. I guess my 622 is in the very last phase :(

#20 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,482 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:16 PM

Just got this:

Dear Us,

Thank you for your research and prompt response! We realized that our response from yesterday was misleading. We should have clarified that today's partial release of L613 might contain a fix for these audio dropouts. We have since learned that L613 does not address this particular issue and we know that engineering continues to research the matter on a daily basis.

That said, the information you provided today is exactly what we needed and it's on the way to our software teams now. These folks are researching this issue on a daily basis and we are confident that it will be fixed as quickly as possible.

Again, thank you for your patience and the time you have taken so far in helping us figure this out.

Kind regards,

EchoStar Technologies LLC
Quality Assurance Department
dishquality@echostar.com

Protected By... spam firewall...And...