Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP622/ViP722 - L6.13 Software Experiences/Bugs Discussion

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Leprechuan

Leprechuan

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:11 PM

I woke up to find I have L6.13.
I see no changes.

"In our darkest hour in my deepest despair
Will you still care? Will you be there
In my trials and my tribulations
Through our doubts and frustrations
In my violence In my turbulence
Through my fear and my confessions
In my anguish and my pain
Through my joy and my sorrow
In the promise of another tomorrow
I'll never let you part for you're always in my heart."
Michael Jackson 1958-2009

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   teacher1066

teacher1066

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:48 PM

I have 613 for a few days. I have noticed extremely loud audio on some commercials, and when switching to some channels I have to increase the program volume.
I was wondering is anyone else experiencing this ?

My unit does exactly the same thing. It can be extremely jarring. I've taken to recording almost everything--including the news--and skipping the commercials on playback.
I am sorry if this is "off topic" but when I got a replacement 722 one of the software features I liked the most--placing multiple episodes of a single shoe in a folder--no longer works. Anyone else experience this? I wrote to Dish about it but their answer was so convoluted that itt made little sense to me.

#53 OFFLINE   Mr5150

Mr5150

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:43 AM

I have discovered quite by accident that I can now get the 1080P VOD if I use component video. It does not work with HDMI. Apparently the problem is with our old friend, HDMI handshake issues.

I have:
VIP 622
firmware 6.12
Pioneer elite Kuro.

I'd be interested if it works for others.

:hurah:

P.S. Sorry for double posting.

Mine only works on my HDMI 722 not my component 722

#54 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:36 AM

Still no L6.13 on one of my 722s.

However, I found my first bug:

If you leave the receiver on past its normal reboot time (when it presents the "shut off and download?" screen), with L6.13 the receiver will now shut itself "off" (reverting to the "You have been Turbocharged" screensaver and no audio) but the lights on the front panel will remain on - so the receiver looks on but in reality it's "off."

When you press the power button, the receiver comes back "on" but of course since the front panel LEDs were already on, they don't change state. After that, the LEDs work normally with the receiver power status as expected.

This is quite annoying, as I leave my 722 on past the normal "reboot" time on weekends as I've got Sirius audio going, and this weekend is the first time this ever happened.

How do we report bugs, just call DISH or is there a more formal route?

My 322 always did that so when I saw that my 722 did it I didn't think anything of it, so that's a bug??

#55 OFFLINE   Captain_Sternn

Captain_Sternn

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:07 AM

It will state 1080P in the title of the movie. There will also be a HD to the left of the title. The other offerings on 501(for me 16 of them) are just SD.

Hee hee, I now only have one listed right now, it's the Bucket List. It says HD in the channel list however says nothing about 1080p. I don't have any SD listings for VOD on 501 for my 722. Wonder why my 622 lists 6 or so SD VOD's while the 722 lists only 1 HD VOD.... hmmmm <scratches head>
Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else.

VIP 622 on LG 32" LCD
VIP 722 on LG 47LG70

#56 OFFLINE   tymekeeper

tymekeeper

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:22 PM

My 622 downloaded 6.13 last night and all OTA signals are gone. I tried soft reset first, then hard reset, still no signal on any channel even one that comes in at 100 percent. Made sure tuner was still set to off air, it was. In the add local channel screen the signal is zero on all channels. If I delete them out, it won't add them back because there is no signal strength. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions/solutions.

Definition of Broke -- Worked last night doesn't work today!

I've had this happen and I think what i did was go to a non local channel, ie espn and then go back and select a local and it worked. If it happens a gain i'll try to note more on what i did. thought it was just a local thing.

#57 OFFLINE   SE_Sooner

SE_Sooner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:16 PM

Thanks TymeKeeper. My problem now is that I deleted all the locals out and can't add them back in because the the signal strength is zero, nada. CSR made an engineering report and said to call back in 3 to 5 days to see if they had a solution. So I'm in a holding pattern.

I'll post the solution if ever I get one.
Definition of Broke - Worked yesterday, doesn't work today!
VIP 622 L6.18 RBGD-N Bootstrap 1718RBGD
Dish Customer since Nov. 1997

#58 OFFLINE   daleles

daleles

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:43 PM

Is there any way to force my receiver to download L6.13 or do I just have to wait until E* is ready to send it to me?

Apparently, this is supposed to work:

-Push the MENU button on the remote control
-Choose SYSTEM SETUP option from the MAIN MENU
-Next select the INSTALLATION option from the SYSTEM SETUP menu
-Now choose POINT DISH from the INSTALLATION menu
-Make sure that the signal bar is green and indicates "Locked"
-Use the remote control to power the receiver off, and then wait about 15 minutes for the download.

This supposedly will force download the current software version.

daleles

#59 OFFLINE   yovinman

yovinman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:39 AM

My 622 received 6.13 and it listed "10,000 BC" as 1080p (on channel 501). I chose to rent it to go through the test. I have a Westinghouse LVM-42W2 LCD monitor that supports 1080p. Well, the test said my display was not compatible with the resolution. Funny, since my Sony PS3 has no problems playing Blu-Ray discs in 1080p on this display. Not sure what the issue is, but I suspect it may have something to do with the 24fps thing or perhaps it is an HDMI handshake issue.

#60 OFFLINE   Redwingsfan

Redwingsfan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:42 AM

I got 6.13 yesterday and the only thing it's done is screw up the aspect ratio.
I have a 622.

#61 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:44 AM

My 622 received 6.13 and it listed "10,000 BC" as 1080p (on channel 501). I chose to rent it to go through the test. I have a Westinghouse LVM-42W2 LCD monitor that supports 1080p. Well, the test said my display was not compatible with the resolution. Funny, since my Sony PS3 has no problems playing Blu-Ray discs in 1080p on this display. Not sure what the issue is, but I suspect it may have something to do with the 24fps thing or perhaps it is an HDMI handshake issue.

I got the same thing. You need to answer "Yes" pretty fast after the test is done or it will keep bringing up this message.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#62 OFFLINE   bloom

bloom

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:39 AM

I had a weird problem right after getting 6.13. When I would turn on the TV, I could not get a picture, simply a blank screen saying DVI in. To restore the picture, I had to unplug the DVI cable from the 722, and replug it in.

If I turned off the TV, and turned it back on, the problem reappeared - blank screen, no signal input.

I did a soft reboot, and the problem has not returned. I do not know if 6.13 has caused some new "HDMI handshake" issues, or if this is symptomatic of a hardware problem.

#63 OFFLINE   GiBi

GiBi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:07 AM

Hi yovinman,

Your Westinghouse supports 1080p (1080/60p) but not 1080/24p which is what the receiver is testing for. Still, Dish knows there are compatability issues with other sets (more specifically Sony) that support 1080/24p.

#64 OFFLINE   lwien

lwien

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:04 AM

Still, Dish knows there are compatability issues with other sets (more specifically Sony) that support 1080/24p.

They do???? I've reported this to Dish over 5 times, and EVERY time I call, they say that I am the first to have ever reported this, and that I needed to call Sony because there is something wrong with my TV even though my Sony accepts a 1080p/24 signal from my Blu-Ray.

Sony A3000.

#65 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:14 AM

Doesn't that hint to you they tell everyone this is the first they have heard of it even though it's not?
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#66 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:15 PM

Doesn't that hint to you they tell everyone this is the first they have heard of it even though it's not?

Some of these techs can get downright obnoxious. I was talking to a tech yesterday that said she was a third level tech (I thought they only had two levels). She kept insisting that I had to change the TV resolution from my TV to get 1080p. I told her over and over again that the TV is just a dumb monitor and the resolution is received from the source (622, Blu-ray player, etc.). I don't think I ever got her to understand and she's third level support.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#67 OFFLINE   yovinman

yovinman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:39 PM

Hi yovinman,

Your Westinghouse supports 1080p (1080/60p) but not 1080/24p which is what the receiver is testing for. Still, Dish knows there are compatability issues with other sets (more specifically Sony) that support 1080/24p.

So am I SOL? Why is Dish forcing 24 fps support? How many folks own 1080p sets that don't handle native 24fps? I bought this monitor 2 years ago and I'm already a victim of being an early adopter?

I'm also somewhat confused by all this since I thought that at 1080/60p the display has the circuitry to detect and handle film pulldown. What am I missing? Does Dish expect you to be on the bleeding edge to watch 1080p?

If anyone can explain this without me having to have an Electrical Engineering degree to understand it would be most appreciated.:confused:

#68 OFFLINE   tymekeeper

tymekeeper

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:46 PM

I had a weird problem right after getting 6.13. When I would turn on the TV, I could not get a picture, simply a blank screen saying DVI in. To restore the picture, I had to unplug the DVI cable from the 722, and replug it in.

If I turned off the TV, and turned it back on, the problem reappeared - blank screen, no signal input.

I did a soft reboot, and the problem has not returned. I do not know if 6.13 has caused some new "HDMI handshake" issues, or if this is symptomatic of a hardware problem.

This is from the owners manual on my Toshiba.

"To ensure that the HDMI or DVI device is reset properly it is recomended that you follow these procedures"

1. When turning on your electronic components, turn on the TV first and then the HDMI or DVI device.

2.When turning off you electronic components, turn of the HDMI or DVI device first and then the TV.

My prior toshiba HD had the same warning but I never particularly followed it and did not have any problem but maybe doing it just once will reset everything.

#69 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:06 PM

So am I SOL? Why is Dish forcing 24 fps support? How many folks own 1080p sets that don't handle native 24fps? I bought this monitor 2 years ago and I'm already a victim of being an early adopter?

I'm also somewhat confused by all this since I thought that at 1080/60p the display has the circuitry to detect and handle film pulldown. What am I missing? Does Dish expect you to be on the bleeding edge to watch 1080p?

If anyone can explain this without me having to have an Electrical Engineering degree to understand it would be most appreciated.:confused:

If your TV does not recognized as supporting 1080P24, the Dish receiver offers you the picture as 1080I60. If your TV does a good pulldown, then there is almost no difference in viewing a movie in 1080P24 vs 1080I60.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#70 OFFLINE   lwien

lwien

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:16 PM

If your TV does not recognized as supporting 1080P24, the Dish receiver offers you the picture as 1080I60. If your TV does a good pulldown, then there is almost no difference in viewing a movie in 1080P24 vs 1080I60.

If "almost" was good enough, I sure as hell wouldn't be on this forum.

#71 OFFLINE   yovinman

yovinman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:50 PM

So if I understand you correctly, I guess the question would be why wouldn't Dish offer 1080p/60 if the display doesn't support 1080p/24? This way they would have much wider compatibility (and less calls to Support) and their Marketing department still can say they are offering "1080p VOD"? Appartently, this is the way the Sony PS3 is doing it and it seems to work for them.

Sigh. As usual, this is why buying Hi-Def is a losing battle. Incremental "improvements" that makes your investment become less compatible in a fairly short period of time. That's not to say I haven't gotten real viewing enjoyment from the display, but I really don't want to upgrade such a large item (size and price) on a 2-3 year cycle.

#72 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:16 PM

Well just received my replacement 622 because of a dead HDMI port. I installed it and activatated without issue. The HDMI port is working perfectly. It has L6.13 but can not see the 1080p channel 501. What gives? Is there anything currently on 501 for purchase?

#73 OFFLINE   otnipj3s

otnipj3s

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:40 PM

This is from the owners manual on my Toshiba.

"To ensure that the HDMI or DVI device is reset properly it is recomended that you follow these procedures"

1. When turning on your electronic components, turn on the TV first and then the HDMI or DVI device.

2.When turning off you electronic components, turn of the HDMI or DVI device first and then the TV.

My prior toshiba HD had the same warning but I never particularly followed it and did not have any problem but maybe doing it just once will reset everything.

Does the electronic component( VIP 722) ever really shut off? The TV shows the turbocharged screensaver when the unit is " turned off " and tv is on. Just a question.

#74 OFFLINE   lwien

lwien

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:41 PM

Is there anything currently on 501 for purchase?

Quite a bit actually.

#75 OFFLINE   digital223

digital223

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:07 PM

My unit does exactly the same thing. It can be extremely jarring. I've taken to recording almost everything--including the news--and skipping the commercials on playback.

teacher,

i have a vip722 also.
just curious, what make and size is your tv ?
i am experiencing this audio glitch on a vizio 42"xvt, which i just purchased prior to receiving the 613 software.
now i am wondering that it might be the new tv ?
if you have the same tv it would be a good indication the tv is the problem.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...