Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP622/ViP722 - L6.13 Software Experiences/Bugs Discussion

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   jenniferny

jenniferny

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:21 PM

Try a power cord pull and reboot. And be sure the TV is powered up before the receiver so it can find it. Be sure the HDMI connector is all the way in. Try wiggling it up and down. It seems the cooling is not adequate on the 622 and the connector can unsolder itself from the board if there is a lot of cable weight on it. They used to tell us that it was a known problem and just to use the component out. But now with 1080P only on HDMI, I think they are going to have to start replacing boxes.

I'm sorry, I should have stated what I had already done. I've done the power cord reboot at least 6 times, I've also wiggled the cable and also removed and reinserted it numerous times. The left side of the 622 is very warm, and I have plenty of clearance around it for heat disipation. Is there a way to check for fan operation other than removing the cover and turning it on? I use a Monster Cable M-1000 HDMI Cable, which is very stiff.

Thanks for the help.
Any other recommendations?
DISH Customer since 1996
1-Sony KD-34XBR960
2-Dish 34" 34-310 CRT HDTV's
1- Dishnetwork vip622 receiver (HDMI 1.3)
Ext. Seagate 750GB Hard Drive
Dish 1000
Denon AVR-5805 Receiver
Denon DVD-5900 DVD Player
Pioneer Elite DV-38A DVD Player
Pioneer DVR-220 DVD Recorder
Denon DP-47F Turntable W/ Shure V15VxMR & Grado Reference Sonata Cartridges
Custom Built 5 Channel Speaker System
Dayton 12", 500 Watt RMS Subwoofer
Monster Power 5100 & AVS 2000
& more Monster Cable than I can count

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   Sunnyatthebeach

Sunnyatthebeach

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:56 AM

... Is there a way to check for fan operation other than removing the cover and turning it on? ...

On the 722, air enters on the right side of the unit and is expelled on the left. To check fan operation, you can dangle a Kleenex tissue next to the vent holes on the right side and watch the tissue get sucked in. On my unit, the fan seems to turn on only when the unit gets warm from recording/playback.

#103 OFFLINE   wangel

wangel

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:03 AM

I'm sorry, I should have stated what I had already done. I've done the power cord reboot at least 6 times, I've also wiggled the cable and also removed and reinserted it numerous times. The left side of the 622 is very warm, and I have plenty of clearance around it for heat disipation. Is there a way to check for fan operation other than removing the cover and turning it on? I use a Monster Cable M-1000 HDMI Cable, which is very stiff.

Thanks for the help.
Any other recommendations?

I'd like to report that my 622 is also doing this. The TV that my 622 is hooked too, only does 720p, but ever since the software update, it has stopped working.

I have not tried to hook it up w/ component cables yet.

What happens, even after a power cord pull / reset is that sometimes it may work. If it starts to work, it will work anywhere from a few minutes to an hour maybe, and then blank screen. No sound or anything.

The box still works, I can go and watch tv just fine on TV2 etc. It just dies on TV1.

When I get back home today I'll try to hook it up via component cables and report back.

Thanks!
~wangel

ps: Should I call and report this to Dish, or do they know about it ?

#104 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:39 AM

If you want a cheap and quick way to drop your temp, try a 5 inch desktop fan from lowes. I bought this O2 Cool fan (item # 146166) that's battery or ac powered. Just $7 and it must have lowered my temp 20*.
A cheap little fan can save some big headaches.

#105 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:51 AM

Since receiving L6.13 I’ve been seeing momentary blank (all black) screens on delayed or recorded HD SAT sources – audio seems unaffected when these occur. I don’t believe it to be a signal issue as there are no artifacts or macro blocking evident, just several consecutive fully black video frames. There seems to be no particular pattern on occurrences, nor on a specific channel source other than it happening on HD SAT channels because that’s all I watch. So far I’ve not noticed it on “live” feeds, just delayed playbacks. Not the end of the world, but still annoying none the less. :rolleyes:

John

Two ViP622s - DPP-44 - Three Dish500s: #1 (110°/119° - Twin), #2 (61.5° - Dual), #3 (129° - Dual)

#106 OFFLINE   vampirefish

vampirefish

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:14 PM

I am STILL experiencing the KOMO-HD audio dropout. Especially noticable during Jeopardy (wierd, I know). It's sooo irritating because my family really likes to watch this show together. Any news on this or anyone else still dealing with this (for the latest version)?

ViP 722K w/ Panasonic Viera TC-P60S30

#107 OFFLINE   Presence

Presence

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:25 PM

A problem I have is if I am watching an HD show, and the screen is all dark for a bit then suddenly lights up with a scene change or something, the audio will dropout for a second. Like if I am watching a concert and the arena is dark, and suddenly all the stage lights come on, the audio will cut.

#108 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:09 PM

I am STILL experiencing the KOMO-HD audio dropout. Especially noticable during Jeopardy (wierd, I know). It's sooo irritating because my family really likes to watch this show together. Any news on this or anyone else still dealing with this (for the latest version)?

I am still seeing this too. I find it's on just about all the Seattle HD channels from Dish but not OTA. I see it the most during commercials during primetime and the local news on KOMO like others have reported.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#109 OFFLINE   mulder5000

mulder5000

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:17 PM

This sounds a lot like the issue we've been discussing in the thread ViP622/ViP722 - L5.12/L6.10/L6.12 Audio Related Issues Discussions.

Unfortunately, there is no fix yet.

#110 OFFLINE   casolorz

casolorz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:52 PM

I dont know if this has been reported yet or if its related to 6.13 but its certainly the first time I've seen it.
Today I had House and Fringe set to record on my DVR using the OTA. House ended 3 minutes earlier than my timer was set for, I am guessing because of Fringe even though Fringe has less priority but thats all ok. What is not OK is that Fringe shows as recorded on the Daily Schedule, while the show was going on the guide showed like if it was recording however the show is nowhere to be found on the list.
I've had a lot of shows cut off at the end lately, now I am wondering how many shows are missing from the list. Has anyone else had this problem?

#111 OFFLINE   DJ Lon

DJ Lon

Legend

• Registered
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:57 PM

I dont know if this has been reported yet or if its related to 6.13 but its certainly the first time I've seen it.
Today I had House and Fringe set to record on my DVR using the OTA. House ended 3 minutes earlier than my timer was set for, I am guessing because of Fringe even though Fringe has less priority but thats all ok. What is not OK is that Fringe shows as recorded on the Daily Schedule, while the show was going on the guide showed like if it was recording however the show is nowhere to be found on the list.
I've had a lot of shows cut off at the end lately, now I am wondering how many shows are missing from the list. Has anyone else had this problem?

I haven't had the above specific problem but since getting L613 set timers have mysteriously begun to disappear (no pattern) so I've had to return to checking them every morning before I go to work to make sure they're still there.

Dish Network sub 4/2005-7/2010 · DirecTV sub 7/2010-present · HR34/700 (on 5th replacement, 2014),
HR24/500 (orig install, 2010), HR24/100 (equip upgr, 2011), HR24/100 (equip upgr, 2014) · Yes, 11 tuners! biggrin.gif

#112 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:06 PM

I had the same problem with House but I was recording Fringe so it didn't matter.
I've had no shows missing but I've had shows cut off.
The other night I found both tuners recording the same show from the same channel. But the guide and info only showed it recording on TV 2.
Save to say L6.13 sucks.

#113 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,758 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:36 AM

The first problem is that House ran about 2 minutes long. Fringe, of course, had those nifty limited commercial breaks, which means they could sell more on House. None of the schedules showed this, not even the local station's schedule.

#114 OFFLINE   casolorz

casolorz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:21 AM

The first problem is that House ran about 2 minutes long. Fringe, of course, had those nifty limited commercial breaks, which means they could sell more on House. None of the schedules showed this, not even the local station's schedule.

But my problem is that Fringe was set to record, the guide showed it as recording, the schedule shows it as recorded, but the show is nowhere to be found on the list of shows I can watch. It vanished!

#115 OFFLINE   ericsdad

ericsdad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:41 PM

I've noticed in the last couple of days that when I try to use the skip back feature on some of my recordings and live paused shows that it will actually skip forward instead. If I push back 4 or 5 times fast it might go back a couple times and forward a couple times. The only way I can find what I wanted to see is to hit rewind.

#116 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,758 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:47 PM

It's a bit depressing here on this thread. I feel like I'm reading about a new release of Windows Vista. I've had problems with the skip back, though I didn't think it skipped forward. But sometimes I attribute things to human error, mine, when the problem is in the complexity of the system.

#117 OFFLINE   casolorz

casolorz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:09 PM

I've noticed a skipping problem when doing the five sec rewind but I am not certain of what it did. Seemed like doing a lot of rewinds made it do a really big one.

#118 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,758 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:42 PM

I've noticed a skipping problem when doing the five sec rewind but I am not certain of what it did. Seemed like doing a lot of rewinds made it do a really big one.

I have experienced that one.

#119 OFFLINE   jenniferny

jenniferny

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:27 PM

I'd like to report that my 622 is also doing this. The TV that my 622 is hooked too, only does 720p, but ever since the software update, it has stopped working.

I have not tried to hook it up w/ component cables yet.

What happens, even after a power cord pull / reset is that sometimes it may work. If it starts to work, it will work anywhere from a few minutes to an hour maybe, and then blank screen. No sound or anything.

The box still works, I can go and watch tv just fine on TV2 etc. It just dies on TV1.

When I get back home today I'll try to hook it up via component cables and report back.

Thanks!
~wangel

ps: Should I call and report this to Dish, or do they know about it ?

Mine works fine with the Component Video connection, just not with the HDMI connection. Is there any chance that the next software update will fix this?
DISH Customer since 1996
1-Sony KD-34XBR960
Dish 1000
Denon AVR-5805 Receiver

#120 OFFLINE   jenniferny

jenniferny

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:28 PM

If you want a cheap and quick way to drop your temp, try a 5 inch desktop fan from lowes. I bought this O2 Cool fan (item # 146166) that's battery or ac powered. Just $7 and it must have lowered my temp 20*.
A cheap little fan can save some big headaches.

Where do you place the fan to get the best cooling?
DISH Customer since 1996
1-Sony KD-34XBR960
Dish 1000
Denon AVR-5805 Receiver

#121 OFFLINE   jenniferny

jenniferny

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:41 PM

Since the 613 update everything else seems fine except I lost my HDMI port and also when I try to access my external hard drive, if I try to MANAGE DEVICE about 50% of the time the receiver freezes and does an automatic reboot about one minute later, also if I do not wait at least a minute after the screen with the recordings comes up it will freeze the receiver every time and the receiver will reboot itself about a minute later. Is anyone else experiencing this? When I choose SEND TO DEVICE I get immediate access and it works fine every time and once I do get acess I can watch any recording without issue so I do not think it is a Hard Drive issue. The Hard Drive is a Seagate 750 GB 7200.10 SATA II unit that is about three or four months old. I have only noticed it since the software update.
DISH Customer since 1996
1-Sony KD-34XBR960
Dish 1000
Denon AVR-5805 Receiver

#122 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:56 PM

Where do you place the fan to get the best cooling?

Looking at the back of the receiver to the back rightside. You will see the air vents.
Also I would say your very stiff M-1000 HDMI Cable broke you HDMI port. Next time get a cheap one but just as good one from monoprice.com.

#123 OFFLINE   Scott Spillers

Scott Spillers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:45 PM

I also hear lots of dropouts on recorded or delayed programs on KOMO-HD. I don't hear it a lot during the prime-time shows, but the 11:00pm news (which I record and watch later) has dropouts every night. If anything, it seems to have gotten worse with 6.13.
Scott Spillers

---------------------
Dish Network Customer Since 1997
Receiver History: 5000 & 3000 > 501PVR & 5000 > ViP622 > ViP722k > 2 Hooper 2Ks & 1 Joey 1.0
Dish History: 500(110,119) > 500(110,119) & 300(148) > 1000(110,119,129) > 1000(110,119) & 500(129) > 1000(110,119) & 24"(129) > DishHD(110,119,129)

#124 OFFLINE   eddieras

eddieras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:23 PM

i'm having trouble watching a delayed show - it keeps jumping forward to live tv... is this part of the software glitch - i have a 722 with L614

#125 OFFLINE   cspinelive

cspinelive

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:43 PM

I've got a 622. I get HD locals via OTA. I get SD locals via DISH. I set up several dishpasses to record all new showings of my favorite primetime shows with a preference for HD. I do this so that if three shows are all showing in the same time slot, they will all be recorded with the highest priority one being recorded in HD via OTA and the other two being recorded in SD on TV1 and TV2. My problem is that the schedule routinely shows two OTA shows on different channels are scheduled to be recording at the same time on OTA. When it comes time for them to be recorded, one will be recorded and the other will show lots of signal loss errors in the schedule history. I also got 30 1 minute recordings of the failed show in my DVR library. Anyone else seeing anything like this? If there's no solution for this I guess I'll have to ditch dishpass and set up two timers for each show. One in HD and one in SD with all the HD timers having a higher priority than the SD timers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...