Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Big Ten Alternates

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   John W

John W

Icon

• Registered
  • 547 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:12 AM

Last year I believe these were mapped down just above 439. What happened?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Yoji

Yoji

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:19 AM

Last year I believe these were mapped down just above 439. What happened?

5440s and 9500s (HD)
:rolleyes: :goodjob: :rolleyes:

#3 OFFLINE   John W

John W

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 547 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:25 AM

5440s and 9500s (HD)

Saw that, just wonder why the map down was eliminated.

#4 OFFLINE   stadt11

stadt11

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:25 AM

I had to upgrade from Top 100 to Top 100 Plus in order to get the BigTen Network, it doesn't come with the basic programming anymore. It is still on channel 439. Alternates on the 5440 channels.

#5 OFFLINE   bobarc

bobarc

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:29 AM

Is it only in certain markets now? I don't see it here in Charlotte.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:08 AM

Is it only in certain markets now? I don't see it here in Charlotte.

It was originally in "free preview" mode for everyone... but the first of this year it became a regional channel only. You get Big Ten "free" if you are in Big Ten country, otherwise you have to pay for it by adding the multisport (if available depending on your other packages).

It is weird if they took down the mappings but still have the alternates. I guess maybe instead of dedicating the alternates just to Big Ten they are going to share them with other sporting events and decided to just not "brand" them as Big Ten alternates only, perhaps?

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#7 OFFLINE   ernste40

ernste40

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:06 PM

Here's a conundrum I found with Dish's BTN alternates today... I scheduled my DVR to record the Badgers game and and ended up with 5 hrs of black screen. The reason I can figure out id that they didn't turn on/make the channel available until 10 a.m. But, since the DVR is set to start recording a minute early, it tried to start while Dish's system thought the channel was unavailable, so, it gave me 5 hrs of "This channel is unavailable" instead of the game when I got home. Next week I will try adjusting the timer to not start a minute early and see if that fixes it...

#8 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:51 AM

Here's a conundrum I found with Dish's BTN alternates today... I scheduled my DVR to record the Badgers game and and ended up with 5 hrs of black screen. The reason I can figure out id that they didn't turn on/make the channel available until 10 a.m. But, since the DVR is set to start recording a minute early, it tried to start while Dish's system thought the channel was unavailable, so, it gave me 5 hrs of "This channel is unavailable" instead of the game when I got home. Next week I will try adjusting the timer to not start a minute early and see if that fixes it...

Funny though, I forgot about the early start for the Penn State game. I got the message it was unavailable, I skipped for over the first minute, the message disappeared and I watched the entire game with no problems. I was on one of the HD Alt BTN channels.

spam firewall