Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

721 just died, what to do?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mikeinaustin

mikeinaustin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:17 PM

it will not power up, no lights come on and it makes absolutely no noise. this receiver is leased and less than 1 year old. is there any basic warranty that comes with dish leased receivers?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:36 PM

Call Dish and get a replacement.
Norm

#3 OFFLINE   Raymie

Raymie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:44 PM

But you won't get a 721 back, probably.

Raymie | Proprietor, EKB News Monitor
Keep current with the News Monitor | Uplink Report Highlights, Recap of the Recap, and more
New: Retransmission consent disputes noticeboard

#4 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:54 PM

get it replaced as a discontinued receiver, not as part of an RA. The discontinued receiver promotion will keep it from being subject to certain fees that newer models are subject to. either way the 721 will be replaced with a newer model, so use the promotion

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,381 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:12 PM

get it replaced as a discontinued receiver, not as part of an RA. The discontinued receiver promotion will keep it from being subject to certain fees that newer models are subject to. either way the 721 will be replaced with a newer model, so use the promotion

Perhaps you could explain what the "discontinued receiver promotion" is in more detail and how to get it? My leased 508 died today and they've given me an RA number. My fear is that they'll send me a 510.

#6 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:35 PM

the only reason you would get a 510 is if no 508's are in stock. the 508 is not part of the discontinued promotion yet. Basically the receivers that are part of it are no longer sent out regardless of stock. 721 and the mpeg2 hd receivers are all part of it.

#7 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:14 PM

"it will not power up, no lights come on and it makes absolutely no noise. this receiver is leased and less than 1 year old. is there any basic warranty that comes with dish leased receivers?"

That leased 1 year old makes me think VIP722 not 721 legacy receiver. Most likely a typo by the OP. AFAIK the 721 was not a leased DVR either.

I suggest signing up for the DHPP (protection plan).
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#8 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

So, what does happen when a "leased" receiver fails? Dish owns it, your paying for it month to month, shouldn't they just replace it? With perhaps a shipping fee at most?
Norm

#9 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:23 PM

So, what does happen when a "leased" receiver fails? Dish owns it, your paying for it month to month, shouldn't they just replace it? With perhaps a shipping fee at most?

If you have DHPP it is replaced for free, if not it is replaced for free but you have to pay $16.95 for shipping.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#10 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:55 PM

If you have DHPP it is replaced for free, if not it is replaced for free but you have to pay $16.95 for shipping.

I guess the next question is, what is the purpose of DHPP with a leased receiver? Its not yours, its Dish's. If it fails, they should be responsible for replacing it.. as noted with a reasonable shipping cost. To me, DHPP is not applicable to a leased receiver, its not mine to cover..
Norm

#11 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:29 AM

I guess the next question is, what is the purpose of DHPP with a leased receiver? Its not yours, its Dish's. If it fails, they should be responsible for replacing it.. as noted with a reasonable shipping cost. To me, DHPP is not applicable to a leased receiver, its not mine to cover..

Thats up to you, DHPP will knock $70 off a service call if you need one.

#12 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:07 AM

Thats up to you, DHPP will knock $70 off a service call if you need one.

FWIW, to me, a service call would be to re-align a dish, replace a dead LNB, or switch, replacing a dead or dying leased receiver should not be a service call by a tech..
Norm

#13 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:34 PM

FWIW, to me, a service call would be to re-align a dish, replace a dead LNB, or switch, replacing a dead or dying leased receiver should not be a service call by a tech..

Sure, but realize that at least 50% of Dish's customers cannot, or will not, replace their own receiver. They insist that a tech come out and swap it out for them. Those folks are better off with the PP.

Also, in many cases, it is difficult to determine if the problem is the receiver or some other part of the system. Many customers are not technical and can't explain the symptoms well, or are unable or unwilling to try any troubleshooting steps, all of which results in a truck roll.

#14 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:50 PM

I agree with you 100%

#15 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:15 PM

Oh, BTW, Dish business rules state that all RA'd 721s will be replaced with 522s.

#16 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:37 PM

this receiver is leased and less than 1 year old.

I'm with TBoneit - all the DHPP and Discontinued receiver info is useful, but probably not so much for the OP. His title should have been "722 just died". Less than a year old should be warranty and it shouldn't take a truck roll when "no lights come on and it makes absolutely no noise"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...