Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM Install Questions

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hemi

Hemi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:14 PM

OK, I’ve searched and I’m still a little confused so I apologize in advance if this has been asked and answered previously…

Since I have a Tech coming out tomorrow (it looks like I’ve lost the 101 feed across the board) it got me thinking that now would be a great time to go to a “Single Wire Multiswitch” (SWM) for my installation. Currently I have 2 HR21-700s and 2 HR10-250s throughout the house. In the den (the main viewing area) I have one of each with two lines going to the HR21 and one line going to the HR10, in the master bedroom I have two lines going to a HR21 and in the guest bedroom I have one line going to the remaining HR10.

It seems as if I could just install an SWM8 and utilize 2-way splitter to cover all of my current uses. The three legacy outputs would go the HR10-250s (with one line switching from the HR21 to the HR10 in the den) which would give me two inputs into the HR10 in the den and one input into the HR10-250 in the guest room. All I would need then would be to split the SWM output to the two HR21-700s.

Is this all that is necessary? Am I missing something? Incase it is important, the 5 LNB dish was installed new in March – but I’m not sure if it a “Slimline” version – it is two and a half stories up so getting a good look at it is a little difficult.

Thanks.

Dan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:32 PM

sounds like you pretty much have things figured out. if directv will do a free swap....... i would trade those old hr10's in for new equipment and then you will be able to have all ftm equipment

#3 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:34 PM

btw, if you use any splitters..... just make sure that they are wideband(rated somewhere around 5-2150 mhz)

#4 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,981 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:37 PM

The AU-9 is oval but the AT-9 is rectangular with large radius rounded corners. On the AT-9, the 110/119 LNB assembly is hanging off to the side of the 99/101/103 LNB, so it is pretty easy to tell the difference. If it was installed in March it is almost certainly a AU-9.

The SWM8 will work with either a Slimline (AU-9) or "sidecar" (AT-9) dish. Since the SWM-8 has two outputs, you could run one to each HR21 (with the PI on one of them) and use the legacy ports for the HR10s, no splitter required.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:40 PM

The question is whether or not it is worth it to get the second HR10 tuner in a room that already has three working tuners. If the Den HR10 is the backup for the HR20, then it may make sense (it doesn't make sense that you need a backup, but if you do, it makes sense that it is an HR10).

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:41 PM

sounds like you pretty much have things figured out. if directv will do a free swap....... i would trade those old hr10's in for new equipment and then you will be able to have all ftm equipment

I'd be willing to bet that that's how the OP got into this situation.

#7 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:43 PM

ha ha, i bet your right!!!!

#8 OFFLINE   Hemi

Hemi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:50 PM

Great! Thanks.

Of course now that I have confirmed this information, I do have a few other questions :)

On the SWM-PI, does it matter how close it is mounted to the SWM8? Can I mount it inside next to one of the HR21s?

Since all of my runs are less than 100’ would a powered multiswitch be of any significant value?

Thanks again.

Dan

#9 OFFLINE   Hemi

Hemi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:55 PM

Close but it has been a difficult transition from TiVo to DirecTV for the whole family... [cough] DLB [cough] :)

Dan

#10 OFFLINE   66stang351

66stang351

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:55 PM

Great! Thanks.

Of course now that I have confirmed this information, I do have a few other questions :)

On the SWM-PI, does it matter how close it is mounted to the SWM8? Can I mount it inside next to one of the HR21s?

Since all of my runs are less than 100’ would a powered multiswitch be of any significant value?

Thanks again.

Dan

Yes, the power inserter can be installed near one of the receivers. It has to be inside no matter what and I believe the recomended distances are at least 15 feet from the SWM and no more that 100 feet from the SWM.

The SWM itself is a powered multiswitch, there would be absolutely no reason to have another multiswitch in the system at all.

#11 OFFLINE   Hemi

Hemi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:38 PM

OK, I think I am getting it.

I do have (at least) one more question… In all of the SWM wiring diagrams I’ve seem, the splitter is attached between the PI and the receiver, but is it be possible, using both SWM outputs, to attach the PI to one of the outputs (i.e. the line to the den) and then use a splitter on the second output (without a PI) to the master and guest bedrooms? I would only need to do this when I do eventually replace the HR10 in the guest bedroom.

Thanks again.

Dan

#12 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 848 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:42 PM

Yes, you can do that.

Steve

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   66stang351

66stang351

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:01 PM

OK, I think I am getting it.

I do have (at least) one more question… In all of the SWM wiring diagrams I’ve seem, the splitter is attached between the PI and the receiver, but is it be possible, using both SWM outputs, to attach the PI to one of the outputs (i.e. the line to the den) and then use a splitter on the second output (without a PI) to the master and guest bedrooms? I would only need to do this when I do eventually replace the HR10 in the guest bedroom.

Thanks again.

Dan

If you use the recommended splitters...Meaning these... you can put them anywhere in the system.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...