Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should Sorenstam play?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   blingbling

blingbling

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 10:47 AM

What do you think about Annika Sorenstam playing with the men in next week's Colonial golf tournament? Is it a cheap publicity stunt or a long-overdue opportunity? How will she do?

Annika Sorenstam factfile

Annika Sorenstam lines-up in the Bank of America Colonial US PGA event on Thursday, hoping to add the title to her long list of tournaments victories

1970: Born October 9 in Stockholm.

1987: First foray on to the international scene as part of Sweden's national team.

1991: Named National Collegiate Athletic Association's Co-College Player of the Year with Kelly Robbins after winning NCAA Championship.

1992: Crowned world amateur champion and finished runner-up in the United States Amateur Championship. Second in NCAA Championship.

1993: Turns professional.

1994: Named LPGA Tour Rookie of the Year. Tied for second at Weetabix British Open. On losing European side in Solheim Cup.

1995: Won first LPGA Tour event, the US Women's Open. Also claimed Samsung World Championship and Tour Player of the Year award. Ended year top of Women Professional Golfers' European Tour Order of Merit. Named Sweden's Athlete of the Year.

1996: Won three tournaments on the trot, US Women's Open, Samsung World Championship and CoreStates Betsy King Classic. Suffered another Solheim Cup defeat.

1997: Named LPGA Player of the Year after seven wins. Broke through US dollars 2million barrier for career earnings. Married fiance David Esch.

1998: Became first player in LPGA history to finish a season with a sub-70 scoring average (69.99) on her way to a third Player of the Year award. Again lost in the Solheim Cup.

1999: Fired the lowest first round in LPGA history, an 11-under-par 61 in the Sara Lee Classic. Wins Michelob Light Classic for third straight year.

2000: Qualified for the LPGA Tour Hall of Fame, providing she stays on Tour until end of 2003. Helped Europe to Solheim Cup win.

2001: Eight wins earn a fourth Player of the Year award. Partnered Tiger Woods to beat Karrie Webb and David Duval in the Lincoln Financial Group Battle at Bighorn.

2002: Claimed 11 titles on her way to another Player of the Year trophy. Broke annual scoring average record (68.70). Part of European side to relinquish Solheim Cup.

http://www.ananova.c.../sm_782971.html
NEBRASKA - Iowa style at Kansas prices. - Conan O'Brien

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Timco

Timco

Woof!

• Gold Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 11:56 AM

Let her play. I don't know what the fuss is all about....

#3 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 12:39 PM

I agree... I hope she beats all those men who think she doesn't belong. That and she is a babe...

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   clapple

clapple

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 12:56 PM

>> Is it a cheap publicity stunt <<

Yes.
Red

#5 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• 5,205 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 05:37 PM

Originally posted by clapple
>> Is it a cheap publicity stunt <<

Yes.

If you think that, then you know nothing about Annika. :rolleyes:

#6 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 07:37 PM

On a week when the sports world would naturally be looking to Indy, and Charlotte; and then to the NBA and NHL, they took a Tiger-less golf tournament, destined for a 1.0 rating and made it into an event.

Its a publicity stunt. And the 10000th rated man in ANY individual sport would beat the best woman, just as any mediocre small college men's team in any team sport would destroy a world all-star team in any team sport.

Hopefully, she won't make the cut and this silliness will be put aside for another generation.

#7 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• 5,205 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 11:12 PM

Originally posted by SamC
Its a publicity stunt.

The "Battle of Bighorn" where Tiger Woods and Annika Sorenstam beat David Duval and Karrie Webb was about publicity. This is about the best female player in the world seeking better competition.

And the 10000th rated man in ANY individual sport would beat the best woman, just as any mediocre small college men's team in any team sport would destroy a world all-star team in any team sport.p

LOL... You have no clue about anything then... :rolleyes:

Hopefully, she won't make the cut and this silliness will be put aside for another generation.

She WILL make the cut because she is that good. Even with all the pressure on her, she still will beat the socks off men who don't even belong holding her bag.

#8 OFFLINE   marko

marko

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 11:21 PM

I hope she makes the cut. I think she will too. I'm sure she picked a "short" course so she is not at a huge disadvantage.

#9 OFFLINE   Ryan

Ryan

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 12:22 PM

It's a little bit of both. She's playing this particular event because it suits her abilities well. There are other courses where she would be much more of a long shot to make the cut. But she has earned her way into a PGA event. Remember it's not the MPGA. Being male is not a requirement. Just professional caliber. Which she is.

Plus she's playing on an exemption, which cuts both ways. Some will say she should have qualified. Someday (probably sooner rather than later) a woman will qualify for a PGA event and play from the tips just like the big boys. Then there will be little room for arguement. But with an exemption, she's not really taking a spot away from some guy a ways down on the qualifying list. They could have used that exemption on anybody.

They choose to use it on a highly qualified woman when they knew Tiger wouldn't be playing. They knew they would be attracting a lot of attention, some for the right reasons, and some for the wrong.

I say good luck to her, and I hope the guys remember what it means to be a gentleman.

#10 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 May 2003 - 09:08 AM

SamC,

Then please explain why college baseball teams would lose, from time to time, to the Colorado Silver Bullets - the women's professional baseball team that barnstormed the country back in the '90s.

You ignorant claim about the 10,000th-ranked-man doesn't even pass muster with simple fact checking.

Boston Marathon - 2003 official results:

Men's winning time: 2h 10m 11s
15th place, 2:23:59 - Diego Colorado
16th place, 2:25:20 - Svetlana Zhakarova

So the top 15 men beat the top woman. And that top woman beat over 17,000 men who entered.

And if Annika makes the cut, will it still be silliness? Or will you reconsider your opinion of women in sports?

#11 OFFLINE   Ronmort

Ronmort

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 11:03 AM

She should play if she wants to play. Amen! What's the big deal? I hope she makes the cut.

#12 OFFLINE   Tomsoundman

Tomsoundman

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 11:23 AM

If you don't think its publicity/marketing then let me remind you that there are FOUR press members to every ONE golfer.

#13 OFFLINE   Frapp

Frapp

Icon

• Registered
  • 525 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 06:07 PM

Well, Vegas does not think she has a chance to win:

http://customwire.ap...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

IMHO,

I think she has a huge chance of her game collapsing under all the pressure and becoming a spectacle.

I`ll split hairs on this topic and say: I don`t think she should play in a mens tournament at this time.

The women protesting at the masters in Augusta, Ga last month were heavily laughed at. The local sheriff even sent them down the road to do their protesting where they would not bother anyone.

If Annika does blow this one, with the Augusta protests being fresh in everyone's mind, womens golf could loose a great deal of respectable ground :shrug:

#14 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 04:50 AM

Simple economics proves my point. If there was a woman good enough to play with men in any sport, she would. You can get very rich at any number of sports. Yet no woman plays in a men's sports league. Because none are good enough.

If you are in the minority that likes to watch women athletes play (just pan the sea of empties at any WNBA game, where, BTW the average player makes 1/1000th of what an NBA player does) fine. I like women's sports to. But understand that watching women's anything is like watching college or minor league sports. Fine, valid, and interesting. But not the best in the world.

Thank you for your submission on the Boston Marathon. When running becomes a sport, it might be relevant.

#15 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 12:08 PM

I don't think she should play. A lot of people want her to play just because a woman shouldn't be refused the right to play because it's discriminatory. If you completely adhere to that principle, men should be allowed to play in the LPGA and the WNBA. There should be no mens/women's gymnastics or track and field. I don't believe there are many people that would enjoy watching that.

I have no problem with female drivers in Indy or Nascar so it's not that I'm against women playing in all traditional "mens" sports.

#16 OFFLINE   marko

marko

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 12:45 PM

+1 for the day, not a bad outing at all. If I was a betting person, I would of took the under (think it was 77 maybe?)

#17 Guest_I\'m not Vijay Sing..._*

Guest_I\'m not Vijay Sing..._*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2003 - 11:39 PM

Originally posted by SamC
If you are in the minority that likes to watch women athletes play (just pan the sea of empties at any WNBA game, where, BTW the average player makes 1/1000th of what an NBA player does) fine. I like women's sports to. But understand that watching women's anything is like watching college or minor league sports. Fine, valid, and interesting. But not the best in the world.

What does this have anything to do with WNBA? And why does it matter how much a person gets paid to how good they are? :rolleyes: I think she proved that while she isn't as good as the top of the men, she can at least play with them.

Thank you for your submission on the Boston Marathon. When running becomes a sport, it might be relevant.

If its covered in SI its a sport to me (including the swimsuit stuff) :D

#18 OFFLINE   Ryan

Ryan

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 06:13 AM

>>If there was a woman good enough to play with men in any sport, she would. You can get very rich at any number of sports. Yet no woman plays in a men's sports league. Because none are good enough.

Um, horse racing, auto racing.

#19 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 07:05 AM

After watching her play the first round, she's definitely good enough to play with the boys. Can she actually win.......probably not.
Mike

"I always wanted to be a scientist, and now I are one."

#20 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 23 May 2003 - 10:04 AM

Was Jackie Robinson a publicity stunt?

The 'publicity' is the effect, not the cause.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...