Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Little Rock, AR

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   HOAGIEHEAD

HOAGIEHEAD

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:26 PM

KATV just blows, the management sucks!!! So good luck getting anything done.
while the rest of the big 4 affiliates in LR have a good signal KATV alway looks like a steaming pile of Longhorn sh*t ;)

it's obvious that Dale Nicholson won't spend one red cent to improve anything there :nono2: at 1950s picture in 2008? :mad:

Do they even care how many viewers will or have tuned out their station? Obviously not by your response. You happen to know off hand what their local ratings are? I can't remember the last time I actually watched their newscast.
H20-600 latest NR
Samsung 32"
Customer since USSB

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Tusk

Tusk

Back in the Game

• Gold Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:41 PM

I refuse to watch KATV's newscast. They manage to work more commercials in than the other stations. They even take a commercial break during sports at 10:00. Just give the sporting news. Basically one story on the Razorbacks, then 6-7 commercials, then a story on peewee football. No thanks.

#23 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 601 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:18 PM

Do they even care how many viewers will or have tuned out their station? Obviously not by your response. You happen to know off hand what their local ratings are? I can't remember the last time I actually watched their newscast.

they haven't been worth a crap since the Karen Fuller/Chris Mays days, and that's been what 10 years? :nono2:
About the only stuff I watch on KATV are some ABC college football games, ARSN Hog basketball games and Raycom games
As a network ABC is pretty much dead

#24 OFFLINE   arxaw

arxaw

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:53 PM

...I have been and continue to have audio problems on KATV 7. Hours upon hours of no sound. On many occasions picture is out of focus...

D* receives katv OTA. katv is being broadcast as a sub channel of an Equity station, which has notoriously bad picture quality, due to excessive multicasting. When you take that OTA MPEG2 signal and attempt to decode/re-encode it to MPEG4, then bounce it off a satellite at least a couple of times, you end up with worse junk than you started with. This may not change until katv gets their new channel 22 tower on Shinall Mountain on the air. T

They could run fiber to the D* local receive/uplink facility, but they're too cheap to do that. They did it for comcrap, though.

they haven't been worth a crap since the Karen Fuller/Chris Mays days, and that's been what 10 years?

They were worthless then, too.

#25 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:04 PM

KATV's problems aside, My contract with Directv is up in 6 months. If they don't have PBS-HD on by then, I'm switching to Comcast. I only watch Networks, espn, tnt/speed (nascar), and PBS. I'm paying lots of money for crap I never watch, and now the local Hd's have as many break ups as ESPN's, and they are missing 3 of the main local channels (pbs,CW,Kwbf). I applaud Directv for getting our locals on, but the quality is horrible. I'd rather just get Comcast and a HD Tivo.

#26 OFFLINE   8th Wonder

8th Wonder

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:13 PM

D* receives katv OTA. katv is being broadcast as a sub channel of an Equity station, which has notoriously bad picture quality, due to excessive multicasting. When you take that OTA MPEG2 signal and attempt to decode/re-encode it to MPEG4, then bounce it off a satellite at least a couple of times, you end up with worse junk than you started with. This may not change until katv gets their new channel 22 tower on Shinall Mountain on the air. T

They could run fiber to the D* local receive/uplink facility, but they're too cheap to do that. They did it for comcrap, though.

They were worthless then, too.

This is a response to an email I sent to James Tidwell at KATV:
-----------------------
I did not understand that you had a satellite feed. At this time the satellite providers have the option of picking up the KATV signal from a Ku satellite feed or the channel 42 off air. Channel 42 carries KATV’s digital feed as a third program. KATV is working to provide the satellite providers with a direct microwave feed but at this time do not have FCC approval to install the microwave. Comcast and AT&T ran a fiber feed to the KATV building at their own expense, which is enormous. Bottom line, the weather will have a tremendous affect on the signal quality the satellite providers receive.

---------------------------

#27 OFFLINE   mauijiminar

mauijiminar

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:19 PM

KATV's problems aside, My contract with Directv is up in 6 months. If they don't have PBS-HD on by then, I'm switching to Comcast. I only watch Networks, espn, tnt/speed (nascar), and PBS. I'm paying lots of money for crap I never watch, and now the local Hd's have as many break ups as ESPN's, and they are missing 3 of the main local channels (pbs,CW,Kwbf). I applaud Directv for getting our locals on, but the quality is horrible. I'd rather just get Comcast and a HD Tivo.

Well I know U Verse is starting in Little Rock, they have all locals in HD even CW and PBS.

#28 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 601 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:26 PM

no sound on KATV yet again
pathetic!!!!!!!!!

#29 OFFLINE   mauijiminar

mauijiminar

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:46 PM

pathetic!!!!!!!!!

Yes the audio sync is way way off like 2 secs. I am back to using OTA for ABC

#30 OFFLINE   ArkieLad

ArkieLad

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:52 PM

This why I decided to just go with U-Verse. I get the locals in great picture quality, my HD picture quality has not suffered and plus I get a **** load more channels. DirecTV used to be great but this go around I just didn't find them all that fantastic.

#31 OFFLINE   8th Wonder

8th Wonder

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:07 PM

Where do you live to be able to get KATV's OTA?

#32 OFFLINE   HOAGIEHEAD

HOAGIEHEAD

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:53 PM

I'm not getting any sound at all.

pathetic!!!!!!!!!

I agree this has gotten way past ridiculous.
H20-600 latest NR
Samsung 32"
Customer since USSB

#33 OFFLINE   mauijiminar

mauijiminar

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:32 AM

Where do you live to be able to get KATV's OTA?

I live in West Little Rock. KATV is using 42's tower right now until the new one is up. If you can get NBC, CBS, or FOX, you should get ABC but it is on very low power.

#34 OFFLINE   mauijiminar

mauijiminar

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:33 AM

This why I decided to just go with U-Verse. I get the locals in great picture quality, my HD picture quality has not suffered and plus I get a **** load more channels. DirecTV used to be great but this go around I just didn't find them all that fantastic.

Do u have u verse right now? How is it? My sisiter in law can't get sat at her house becasue of the trees.

#35 OFFLINE   arxaw

arxaw

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:42 AM

katv is temporarily on a shorter tower than the other Shinall stations. So that, plus low power, plus multicasting overload = crappy katv reception, until katv's new tower is completed.

#36 OFFLINE   arxaw

arxaw

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:19 PM

KTHV, ch 11 audio is still way too LOUD

#37 OFFLINE   wxguy

wxguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:32 AM

KATV Ch 7 is not in sync again this morning. If you pause it for a bit, then play the delayed broadcast, it will be just about right. Somehing about DirecTV not encoding something from this channel so it will sync when live.

Can't really blame Ch7 for this one as best I can tell.

#38 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 601 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:37 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

yet again no audio at all on KATV
I'm about the point where I wish the FCC would pull KATV"s license, they are a joke of a station!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I knwo they are using a subchannel of KWBF but dang enough already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#39 OFFLINE   HOAGIEHEAD

HOAGIEHEAD

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:13 AM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

yet again no audio at all on KATV
I'm about the point where I wish the FCC would pull KATV"s license, they are a joke of a station!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I knwo they are using a subchannel of KWBF but dang enough already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:( :( :(
I know exactly of what you speak sir. I don't even bother stopping at that channel any longer. It is so past frustrating it's not even funny. There must be plenty more subscribers out there that feel the same way. It's obvious KATV could give a rats arse they are losing viewers.
H20-600 latest NR
Samsung 32"
Customer since USSB

#40 OFFLINE   arxaw

arxaw

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:21 AM

KATV-DT in Little Rock (abc-hd) is still unwatchable on D*.

Horrible picture quality. Herky-jerky motion with missing frames and blurry, non-hd quality. And the sound won't stay in sync. Really bad.

Fix it or take it down until you can solve the problem.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...